Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I currently have Sirius and the cost is a bit over the top. I have not tried to reduce my cost for the 2 cars yet with Sirius. Is Spotify a good option?
I don't have enough experience with Spotify to know what I don't know.
How would I use Spotify to replace Sirius? I can probably figure out the mechanics. I have a 21 limited trek, Samsung s22, Android auto.
Do I need to hard wire each time I get in the car or is this a bluetooth connection.
How does it connect to Spotify? cell towers? So I should have unlimited service?
Thanks John
I currently use IHeartRadio - you can create playlist and pick genres - I am only using free stuff at the moment and am pleased with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
fwiw, I didn't like Sirius (free months that came with my '21 trek), because you can't choose your music, they do. It has stations to match my tastes, but always with some percentage of songs/artists I like, and some percentage I don't. And I don't find that fun enough on long trips, or worth the subscription for short trips.

Around town, I mostly listen to radio stations (on air or streaming), or stream music I know I like from my phone, as I do on long trips.

Yes, for sure, an unlimited data plan.

For radio streaming from anywhere you have data --thousands of worldwide public and commercial stations-- plus podcasts and entertainment, the best app I know of is TuneIn Radio. I have an old "Pro" version (it was a one--time $5 years ago). I haven't found a reason to pay monthly for their new premium tier, though it adds some live sports and more.

For streaming, radio or music, anything I can play on my phone (android) works with bluetooth.

However, I don't use BT for the large CD-quality or better (meaning hi-res, digital) music collection I have on a 1-TB SD card. For that the music quality is better with the phone plugged into the AUX port (located inconveniently under the radio/climate controls). I still have my classic Ipod, which also plugs nicely into the AUX, as would any good handheld.

For playing music stored on my phone, the best app I've found is Poweramp. not expensive, one-time fee, EQ, tons of features.

For music streaming, I rarely use Spotify, though it is by reputation the best for sharing playlists and stuff with friends, and has great algorithms to generate playlists to match your tastes. At present, however, it's all weak mp3 quality, so I only have the free version, with ads. I've also used Pandora, someone mentioed it on this thread, a good old service I think.

But I subscribe to qobuz, a streaming service which has an extensive music collection, CD or better quality. I find the qobuz collection as or more extensive than Spotify's (depending on genre, my tastes are classic rock, folk, grass, blues, jazz and classical). The qobuz app is very good, with a useful system to "favorite" or download tracks or albums, interesting articles about albums and artists, weekle new release sections, and search features and moderated playlists (that I don't love, same reason as for Sirius).

I sometimes stream from Amazon Prime music, which I have only because it comes for less with Prime for shopping. It also has an extensive collection, CD or (often) better quality, but I find their app annoying, to put it 'expletive' nicely.

I've been able to integrate all these apps I use into the Starlink/Subaru app. My voice commands to play x sometimes work, but I've yet to really figure out that infotainment system, I need a "how to" for dummies.

Sorry this got longer that I intended. Hope it's useful to someone.

·
Super-Duper Moderator
1,411 Posts
@MA Subie ,

The one item I learned with Pandora is to NOT give a song a thumbs up. If you do, the AI wizardry narrows the song selection to be more like the song you just liked.

Only thumbs down if you truly do not like the song to keep the variety greater for that channel.

·
Registered
2022 Crosstrek Limited
3 Posts
I currently have Sirius and the cost is a bit over the top. I have not tried to reduce my cost for the 2 cars yet with Sirius. Is Spotify a good option? I don't have enough experience with Spotify to know what I don't know. How would I use Spotify to replace Sirius? I can probably figure out the mechanics. I have a 21 limited trek, Samsung s22, Android auto. Do I need to hard wire each time I get in the car or is this a bluetooth connection. How does it connect to Spotify? cell towers? So I should have unlimited service? Thanks John
Hey John, after I bought my Xtrek in July I took the Sirius free trial and avoided signing up the outrageous $20 or $25 month charge. But near the end of the trial I get a $4.99 for 12 Month offer. So that rate is out there. Call them and tell them you can’t afford the current reset bu cite this offer ( with tax it’s $6.06/month)

·
Three-pedal evangelist
2020 Premium 6MT
1,574 Posts
@MA Subie ,

The one item I learned with Pandora is to NOT give a song a thumbs up. If you do, the AI wizardry narrows the song selection to be more like the song you just liked.

Only thumbs down if you truly do not like the song to keep the variety greater for that channel.
Hmmm. I hadn't thought of this. I'll have to try this on a new station.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts