Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Crosstrek Outdoor, Subaru Legacy 2.0 GT spec.B
124 Posts
Not so keen on the grille... but the STi wheels are a nice touch. 18s or 17s?

·
Registered
2021 Limited 2.5L Black
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited by Moderator)
I had it done by the dealer. It took them 1 hour. Rather than waiting for a custom ordered car, I got the wheels and grille from Subaru parts pros and the dealer installed everything a day before I picked up the car.

...sorry to clarify the dealer told me it would take an hour to install just the grille.

I just looked at the install instructions and this one applies to the “outdoor” trim which has a front camera in the grille. This is only available in Canada. If you don’t have a front camera it’s a lot easier since you don’t have to worry about camera and airbag wiring.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Very nice. Looking to get a Limited in either dark gray, white or the new blue.

Is the grille more of a dark gray color?

Trying to determine if it would work on the white, blue, or dark gray as well?

View attachment 302608
Just picked up my 2021 limited trim with oem sport grille and sti wheels. Hope this post helps people decide if they themselves want to get the sport grille.

·
Registered
2021 Limited 2.5L Black
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited by Moderator)
@Crosstrek2021

Darker gray. It will work on any body color. It’s way more detailed when you look at it closely. Lots of bevels and shaped lines. The Subaru wings are behind the vertical bars. I’ll take a detail photo and post for you tomorrow. I live in Manhattan and the garage has bad light. Early warning.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I like the grill. Don't worry if these folks say they don't. Most of them are driving their first Subaru and now they are all experts. If you look through their posts, it's all questions about how to make a head unit work.
Get your self some bigger tires to go on those wheels. I put 235/55s on my 18 inch STI wheels. Mine's a 2018, it made the speedo correct. It was off by a couple of mph with the stock 225/55s.

IMG_1095.jpeg

·
Registered
2021 Limited 2.5L Black
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited by Moderator)
Your wheels look great. I will get larger tires once I need to replace. Spending remaining budget on ss3 fog lights and raceseng hooks. I was thinking of geolandar at/g015. What tires did you get?

·
Registered
10 Posts
In case if anyone is interested, this is what was done to the car at the port (or maybe at the dealership?) to install the sport grill. Not simple https://www.subarupartspros.com/docs/J1010FL320.pdf

I have a 2021 Crosstrek Limited. I ordered the sport grill from my dealership and installed it myself. I found a youtube video that shows how to install the grill without having to remove the bumper or any body parts. The 2020 is the same as the 2021 model, so this video works with 2021 models as well.

Here is the link to that video:

You have to pop the 5 plastic clips that hold the plastic radiator cover. Remove that piece. I also unscrewed the latch for the hood release. It gave me better access to work behind the grill.

Just a heads up. The installation requires having smaller forearms. I have meaty forearms, so I really struggled getting my arms behind the grill to remove it.

There are 6 screws that hold the original grill in place. Even stubby phillips screwdrivers don't give you the necessary clearance to get to the screws. I used an angled screwdriver. The ones that are in the shape of a z and have a phillips head on one end and a straight head on the other. Once you remove all the screws, you have to finess the clips that hold the grill securely in place to release.

Once the grill comes free from the clips, it simply comes right off the front of the vehicle. The new sport grill pops right on the front of the vehicle as it pops into the clips that were holding the original grill in place. You then replace the 6 screws that you removed from the original grill, and your grill is installed. Just replace the pieces that you removed to gain access to the back of the grill, and you are done.

It is a pain in the *** that takes more time than I anticipated, but it was better than paying for an hour and a half of installation at dealership rates. They were going to sock me roughly $280 to install the grill.

I hope this helps anyone that decides to tackle the job themselves.

·
Registered
2021 Limited 2.5L Black
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a 2021 Crosstrek Limited. I ordered the sport grill from my dealership and installed it myself. I found a youtube video that shows how to install the grill without having to remove the bumper or any body parts. The 2020 is the same as the 2021 model, so this video works with 2021 models as well.

Here is the link to that video:

You have to pop the 5 plastic clips that hold the plastic radiator cover. Remove that piece. I also unscrewed the latch for the hood release. It gave me better access to work behind the grill.

Just a heads up. The installation requires having smaller forearms. I have meaty forearms, so I really struggled getting my arms behind the grill to remove it.

There are 6 screws that hold the original grill in place. Even stubby phillips screwdrivers don't give you the necessary clearance to get to the screws. I used an angled screwdriver. The ones that are in the shape of a z and have a phillips head on one end and a straight head on the other. Once you remove all the screws, you have to finess the clips that hold the grill securely in place to release.

Once the grill comes free from the clips, it simply comes right off the front of the vehicle. The new sport grill pops right on the front of the vehicle as it pops into the clips that were holding the original grill in place. You then replace the 6 screws that you removed from the original grill, and your grill is installed. Just replace the pieces that you removed to gain access to the back of the grill, and you are done.

It is a pain in the *** that takes more time than I anticipated, but it was better than paying for an hour and a half of installation at dealership rates. They were going to sock me roughly $280 to install the grill.

I hope this helps anyone that decides to tackle the job themselves.
I referenced this video to by dealer service center. They said they’d rather take the bumper off and follow manufacturer guidelines. They charged me $90 which seemed very reasonable. I was also too afraid to mess around with a brand new car. I’m shocked your dealer was going to charge $280. That’s crazy. For other folks interested, my dealer said the install would take at most an hour. If your dealer says otherwise they are lying. So $280/hr is an insanely high rate.

you have photos of your car with the new grille? Would love to see one other than my black XV. Share please!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts