Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of replacing factory speakers with component speakers in the front and regular ones in the back. Do I need an amp to power these or will I get good sound without it?
I guess it depends on the speakers. What would be the highest power speakers I could get without the amp? Do component speaker aftermarket need an amp? I have a limited 2016 crosstrek.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Without an amp you don't want "higher power" speakers. You want the easiest speaker that your stock radio can drive. This equates to a speaker with high sensitivity with the same ohm rating. anything is gonna sound better with an amp. The shortcomings of the stock radio will become more apparent with an amp though. If you want perfect sound, replace everything. If you just want a little better, replace speakers. I wouldn't do a component setup without an amp. Just throw some coaxials in there.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was thinking of polk db651s front and rear doors. So with the built in tweeter in the front doors, I assume the dash ones still are working too? Will that sound okay? I should just bite the bullet and buy an amp too I guess. By highest power speakers to buy, meant what power would I not want to go over. What would be the limit.

·
Registered
494 Posts
The factory deck is quite disappointing power wise. I replaced the speakers to the Kicker replacements which are about 50w RMS power but was still quite poor and lacking any punch or depth.
Recently just added a completely new stereo system as well as an amp to power the door speakers with the 50w RMS they needed and it made a gigantic world of difference.

Overall a replacement head unit would offer better, cleaner power to any speakers you fit versus the stock head unit. But any speaker needs power to work, so going the extra mile and powering the door speakers with an external amp will yield the greatest results if you are really after sound performance.

My replacement setup didn't cost a fortune, retained all the OEM features, and all tucks neatly away under the front seats. Info in my build journal linked in my signature.

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
Component systems in general don't do well with the power coming from most HU (regardless of make or model) due to the fact that the power coming out of a HU is limited at best (and distorted when driven hard) and components needing additional circuity for crossover modules which generally means the need for more power.

The built in factory 'tweeters' can hardly be called tweeters as most people can't hear any tweeting from them so, don't worry about conflicts. Having said that, I would suggest that you start off by just replacing the tweeter before going any further and then look at what you need to round out the sound for you. Many of our members just replaced the tweeters and found that the replacements gave them what they believe was missing from the OEM experience.

If you have a HU with a good equalizer, you can also go one cheap step further but getting a spectrum analyzer and a pink noise generator (both apps available on most smart phones but you will need two phones) and use the pink noise generated to adjust the equalizer using the analyzer so that the frequency response curve is flat - ie. the highs are the same level as the lows and meds... The factory defaults are generally far from optimal.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have replaced the factory tweeters with the upgraded Kicker tweeters. Definitely an improvement.

I have considered replacing the door speakers with the Kicker upgrades, but am actually leaning toward adding one of those small behind the dash amps to the oem HU and seeing if the factory door speakers improve.

I think they might have decent enough sound with a little extra power.

Is this the wrong avenue to take?

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
I have replaced the factory tweeters with the upgraded Kicker tweeters. Definitely an improvement.

I have considered replacing the door speakers with the Kicker upgrades, but am actually leaning toward adding one of those small behind the dash amps to the oem HU and seeing if the factory door speakers improve.

I think they might have decent enough sound with a little extra power.

Is this the wrong avenue to take?
Depends on what you find 'wrong' with the current set up. Can the door speakers be improved? Definitely. Will you care given the road and normal vehicle noise? That's really up to you. There's been a few members who found the door speakers just fine (I'm not one of them but hey, that's why I replaced them).

Have you added any sound deadening yet?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Depends on what you find 'wrong' with the current set up. Can the door speakers be improved? Definitely. Will you care given the road and normal vehicle noise? That's really up to you. There's been a few members who found the door speakers just fine (I'm not one of them but hey, that's why I replaced them).

Have you added any sound deadening yet?
Overall I find the sound to be decent. But, when compared to our other Subaru, a Forester with the Harmon/Kardon system it seems obvious to me a major deficiency with the Impreza is power. While the Forester rarely gets above volume level 10, the Impreza has to be nearly double that to rise above.

Sound deadening I have not, but would likely help with the overall need for volume. But, would seem to me, that can also be somewhat solved by the addition of the amp to help boost the radio output overall.

I think, if I tried the amp first and still found it lacking, I would then proceed to upgrade the door speakers and consider some sound deadening at the same time. But, what seems reasonable in my mind may not be. :)

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
Overall I find the sound to be decent. But, when compared to our other Subaru, a Forester with the Harmon/Kardon system it seems obvious to me a major deficiency with the Impreza is power. While the Forester rarely gets above volume level 10, the Impreza has to be nearly double that to rise above.

Sound deadening I have not, but would likely help with the overall need for volume. But, would seem to me, that can also be somewhat solved by the addition of the amp to help boost the radio output overall.

I think, if I tried the amp first and still found it lacking, I would then proceed to upgrade the door speakers and consider some sound deadening at the same time. But, what seems reasonable in my mind may not be. :)
The problem with just adding power is that your clarity suffers as you would need to over power the road noise first before you hear any benefits to the additional power. Also, your concept of volume levels doesn't actually work as each level on one HU isn't the same as another (in size of jump or from where the level starts or how linear the progression is or even the source) so you can't compare volume level 10 to what it should be on another completely different HU.

·
Banned
553 Posts
Wait until you actually remove the stock speakers. It's an embarrassment. Anything is an upgrade over that trash. I would say forget the rears, nobody cares about those, and you are sitting in the front. Just replace the fronts with anything really, and it'll be much better. If you want a very good sound system, a small Alpine amp will get you there. And it fits inside the dash under the stereo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
For what it's worth, I replaced the my 2017 Premium POS speakers with Focal RSE165 (front speakers and tweeter component package). Sounded great so I went back a week later and replaced the rears with Focal RCX165. A huge difference over just the front speakers. The stock HU drives these Focals just fine. Of course in the future I may add an amp to the mix, but for now these sound great without an amp. Since I'm challenged I let our local shop do the install, thus not pictures for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2019 with 8" HU and no HK sound. Another alternative for an upgrade is to keep the stock HU and install an amp with built in variable DSP. This will overcome the shortcomings of the stock HU, in particular with bass attenuation at higher volumes, while hopefully, if the amp is properly installed, maintain full functionality of the stock HU. I am going this path with a set of Morel Maximo Ultra 602's up front and probably a 10" sub down the road.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Was thinking of polk db651s front and rear doors. So with the built in tweeter in the front doors, I assume the dash ones still are working too? Will that sound okay? I should just bite the bullet and buy an amp too I guess. By highest power speakers to buy, meant what power would I not want to go over. What would be the limit.
I'm using these speaker in the front without an amp. They sound OK. An amp. would be needed with all windows down at highway speed.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm using these speaker in the front without an amp. They sound OK. An amp. would be needed with all windows down at highway speed.
I got a whole new system. Pioneer Amp ,kicker speakers rear and front with new small speakers too on topI of dash(they came paired). Also kept the factory head unit. Just got an additional converter so I could use the original head unit. Sounds great

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got a whole new system. Pioneer Amp ,kicker speakers rear and front with new small speakers too on top of dash(they came paired). Also kept the factory head unit. Just got an additional converter so I could use the original head unit. Sounds great. Lots of add ones additionally To this car. Cargo rack, spoiler, bug guard, blacked out lights, door handle guards, blue knob covers on havc dials, new bfgko2 at tires and white sparco terra wheels

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
I got a whole new system. Pioneer Amp ,kicker speakers rear and front with new small speakers too on topI of dash(they came paired). Also kept the factory head unit. Just got an additional converter so I could use the original head unit. Sounds great
Can you upload a 5/10 second video for all of us to sample the sound?

·
Registered
37 Posts
By any chance do you know what the depth is in the front and rear doors in order to accommodate the various size magnets on speakers. I tried googling to no avail. I realize the front can use upto a 6.9, the rear 6.5 and 6.75, however what's the maximum depth for these speaker size. ;)Subaru isn't making it easy for DIYers, its a secret. . .

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
By any chance do you know what the depth is in the front and rear doors in order to accommodate the various size magnets on speakers. I tried googling to no avail. I realize the front can use upto a 6.9, the rear 6.5 and 6.75, however what's the maximum depth for these speaker size. ;)Subaru isn't making it easy for DIYers, its a secret. . .
I used crutchfield. Just looked at all the possible fits and had someone else install, but you need a converter if using the original head unit. It is possible to use the original head unit with amp and new speakers if you get the converter

1 - 20 of 30 Posts