Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 Crosstrek has 60,000 miles on the clock and the Dealer says it is time for new spark plugs. I said that I don't want another $700 oil change. He said installation will cost $400. The farmer's Co-op will do it for $140 if I provide the plugs. What brand should I buy? (I have gotten less adventurous as I have aged and don't want the hassle of replacing them myself.)

Thanks.

Frog

·
Registered
74 Posts
OEM Plugs are NGK Laser Iridium. You can get them at Autozone for apprx $16 per plug pre-gapped, but most likely would have to order it online and pickup at the store, as they don't readily carry it in the retail location.

I've changed out my spark plug at a little over 75k miles as I thought I was way over due in trying to stay within the manual's recommendation of 60k, but the plugs looked good and clean enough to have lasted up until 100k, as that was the consensus from a few experienced members on this forum.

Changing out the plugs on these boxer engine is a pain and a half with very little space to work with unlike the regular V or Inline engines, so I would make sure of that $140 price with the co-op before committing.

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
875 Posts
I hope you trust those guys, as the threads in the head can easily be damaged (just like any aluminum head). For my money I'd post regionally and see if any local enthusiasts are up for beer and pizza.

As for 100k miles, I wouldn't. The longer they stay in the more chance they won't want to come out.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts

Go to
www.rockauto.com

Get NGK plugs. They will be gaped to 0.044" or 1.1 mm .

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Make them iridium.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Go to
www.rockauto.com

Get NGK plugs. They will be gaped to 0.044" or 1.1 mm .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I will get the NGK. I've used the Co-op before, and guess I will risk them. Most, if not all gasoline engines these days are aluminum. I used to change plugs in my motorcycles, and did not have an issue. As Dylan said " You have got to trust someone." (He was talking about Jesus, but I don't think he works on Subarus.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts