Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I've found a lot of great info on this forum for replacing the plugs on 2012-2017 Crosstreks.

I will be replacing the plugs on my SO's 2018 Crosstrek with 55k miles in the next couple weeks and am curious if anyone else has tackled this on their own yet. If so, how much different is it from all the info I've seen on the 2012-2017s?

I see the NGK Iridiums seem to be the go-to for the 12-17's, but don't see any recommendations for the 2018. I hate to pay for OEM but will do so if there's not a proven aftermarket alternative.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup she drives a lot!

Hoping it will be similar, I know it's a new engine so was hoping someone who had performed the work would end up chiming in. I'll do my best to report back with my findings.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
This should be similar to the MY2018.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just following up here in case anyone else is searching.

The process for the two passenger side plugs was fairly straightforward. I removed the part of the intake housing holding the MAF, and getting at the plugs was tight, required some oddly size socket extensions and elbows but wasn’t too bad.

The process for the back plug on the drivers side was quite difficult, there wasn’t enough space between the fender/frame and engine to get the coil pack out. What I did, and wouldn’t necessarily recommend is pry’d the engine over about 1/8” by pushing against the fender/frame and a brace/cover next to the A/C condenser. That gave me enough space to wiggle the coil pack out (and later back in).

Otherwise pretty much the same as < 2017 model years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey! I just ran into the same problem on the back driver side coil pack (a new huge harness is in the way unlike the 2017). I know you said you pushed the engine but I don’t have to tools for that. Any chance you have a different idea after going through it?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Hey! I just ran into the same problem on the back driver side coil pack (a new huge harness is in the way unlike the 2017). I know you said you pushed the engine but I don’t have to tools for that. Any chance you have a different idea after going through it?
Did you use a 1/4" drive ratchet with a low profile 10mm socket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts