·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,931 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Hybrid Crosstrek
10 Posts
LOL, I wonder how many here recognize that one (I'm from the UK)?
I've spent enough time in the UK that I was grinning at that!

My wife was quite alarmed by the warning noise when I was backing my new Hybrid out of the garage before she took her first ride in it last month, but she's adjusted to it and I only notice it in parking lots when I'm under 10 mph with my windows open and she's not warning me to look out for something.:love:

·
Registered
2020 premium on Meths
410 Posts
Maybe we should pass a law requiring a flag waver to walk in front of of EVs, waving a red flag? 😸
better include a whistle or blow horn for the visually impaired... kinda like I always wonder why drive thru ATMs have brail instructions?

·
Prefers black cats
12,931 Posts
kinda like I always wonder why drive thru ATMs have brail instructions?
Yep, that's a classic! 😸

Same ATM as the one in the lobby, I suppose.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
After almost 4 months of fighting with Subaru, they are going to replace the PDA speaker. It's out of spec with the sound and volume. We will see how much that helps. The only replacement part in the US is in Portland, OR from what they are telling me.

Also, I observed a 2020 Plug-In and it doesn't have the sound (at all). So, it's a flat out defect or the 2021's are louder/changed. Anyone else with a '21 yet? Everyone at the mechanics and dealers look at me like they have never seen one before, and they probably aren't lying. It hasn't helped my case...

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Plug-in Hybrid
606 Posts
My local dealer says mine is the only one in the area. I saw 2 others on a road trip up to Maine. Saw one in Massachusetts and one in Maine, plus a 3rd at a dealership just outside of Bar Harbor. Regarding the sounds, I just say it's in spec for the car. It makes the noise below 22mph and has a different speaker for when I'm in reverse. To me I think the noise is just fine and don't really care about it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Well, the dealer took some measurements, but didn't order a new part yet. They want to compare it to another one first, but there simply aren't any at the dealerships.

In the interim, I took it upon myself to find it. And find it I did.

It's become clear to me that it was installed in Japan as it's on the wrong side of the car, facing away from pedestrians. Nice job guys. It's also why it's louder for the driver in the US. The old Crosstrek hybrids had it on the passenger side (probably US installed).

The speaker faces outwards from the Japanese driver (RHD vehicles) onto the sidewalks, but AWAY from US sidewalks and closer towards the driver and the middle of the street. I figure they made it much louder (in software) since it's on the wrong side of the car here. A warning comes up on the dash when I unplug it.

So, mystery solved, or well at least found.

Let me attach some pics.

The speaker itself.
(Note that it's different than the two "horn" type speakers found elsewhere in the front of the car.)

Where it is on the car. (behind the front-left bumper)

Speaker close-up.

Wiring connector close-up.

Zoom out showing the left front bumper area.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Thanks for the photos. Good to have should I decide to take my bumper off at any point to see where things are. Is there a speaker in the rear bumper? I noticed the sound is a different decibel level when you put the car in reverse.

·
Prefers black cats
12,931 Posts
This would bug me and our next car will likely be a BEV. What's the point of a quiet, smooth BEV if it has to make a noise? At that low of a speed it's not going to kill anyone and the menace of scooters is much worse, illegally barreling down sidewalks at up to 19mph... :rolleyes:

Just curious why you have Arrowhead AND AquaFina? Whatever's on sale at Costco? 😸

·
Registered
606 Posts
This would bug me and our next car will likely be a BEV. What's the point of a quiet, smooth BEV if it has to make a noise? At that low of a speed it's not going to kill anyone and the menace of scooters is much worse, illegally barreling down sidewalks at up to 19mph... :rolleyes:

Just curious why you have Arrowhead AND AquaFina? Whatever's on sale at Costco? 😸
You pretty much have to drive it to see what the sound is like. On mine, it's really not bad and after 2 years of ownership, I'm just used to it. I will tell you though that if you are cruising in a neighborhood or parking lot, people do notice you and turn around, so to me that's a good thing. I can't stand people that don't look and just walk out in front of you. Not sure how badly I want to test out the pedestrian auto braking feature in the car.

·
Prefers black cats
12,931 Posts
You pretty much have to drive it to see what the sound is like. On mine, it's really not bad and after 2 years of ownership, I'm just used to it. I will tell you though that if you are cruising in a neighborhood or parking lot, people do notice you and turn around, so to me that's a good thing. I can't stand people that don't look and just walk out in front of you. Not sure how badly I want to test out the pedestrian auto braking feature in the car.
So it doesn't come with come with spaceship "shields" then? 😸

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thanks for the photos. Good to have should I decide to take my bumper off at any point to see where things are. Is there a speaker in the rear bumper? I noticed the sound is a different decibel level when you put the car in reverse.
There's only the one speaker. It just gets louder in reverse. You would think they would have put one in the rear for the reverse, but no, they just bump up the volume a ton on the front speaker.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

It makes more noise than any gas powered car, so yeah, no so quiet...

We get the sport bottles from Costco on Arrowhead (700mL), but prefer Aquafina which Costco doesn't sell, but Aquafina doesn't have the 700's that I've seen. Sometimes you will see Dasani there for when we can't find Aquafina, too!

The bumper is back on now. And a warning, it's certainly much harder to put it back on than take it off!

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'm curious if you could just take off that bottom panel to gain access to the speaker. Might be a bit tough and probably have to reach around the fog light or whatnot. Did you say that a light popped up on the dash when you unplug the speaker? You've got me curious now to see what it's like with that thing unplugged.

·
Prefers black cats
12,931 Posts
FYI, Aquafina is city water that's filtered by reverse osmosis. You could get your own RO and save a ton of money over time, as well as not generating all of that plastic. We have a Watts system with a spigot on the kitchen sink.

Check out their product page, LOL: Aquafina - for happy bodies

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I'm curious if you could just take off that bottom panel to gain access to the speaker. Might be a bit tough and probably have to reach around the fog light or whatnot. Did you say that a light popped up on the dash when you unplug the speaker? You've got me curious now to see what it's like with that thing unplugged.
It's quiet w/o the speaker. So quiet it hardly makes a sound when in reverse.

I might be able to access it from under the panel now that I know where it is. I will check it out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
FYI, Aquafina is city water that's filtered by reverse osmosis. You could get your own RO and save a ton of money over time, as well as not generating all of that plastic. We have a Watts system with a spigot on the kitchen sink.

Check out their product page, LOL: Aquafina - for happy bodies
Cool, thanks. Good to know, but that page of theirs is down atm. We recycle all our plastic but not generating it in the first place is probably better. I will check into it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I might be able to access it from under the panel now that I know where it is. I will check it out.
I found that it is easily accessible w/o having to remove the entire front bumper. Just a few plastic snaps needed to be removed and they are easily re-installed. This is good news. I was even able to remove the speaker and work on it outside the car.

Pulled down this part after removing a few plastic snaps on the bumper area.

View of the speaker. Note my mods. 1) I bent it to the right and 2) put some sound reducing materials on it.

Pulled the speaker out to work on it again.

The modified speaker. I removed some tape as this was TOO effective. I don't want to defeat the purpose of the device, but just get the volume in line. I think I have succeeded now after taking off some tape and putting it back in. It's hardly audible inside the car now, when in drive. It's still easily heard in reverse, however and is quite audible outside in drive.

Attachments

21 - 38 of 38 Posts