Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am new to Subaru and just purchased a 2021 Crosstrek Hybrid. I have owned other plug-in hybrids/electrics, but this one had a new quirk. It has a spaceship sounds that only comes on when the (gas) engine is off and only when it's out of Park and only under 23mph or so.

I took it to the dealer and apparently, it's a "feature," so the car isn't "too quiet" at low speeds. How annoying. They said it's a speaker under the front bumper. I will go looking for it later.

I wonder if this is a California thing? The 2020 Prius Prime and 2018 Chevy Bolt don't have this at all.

My wife thought it was coming from an ambulance at first and I can't blame her. It's loader than the engine is (if it was on) at some speeds (~10-22mph). The dealer wasn't able to turn it off.

·
Needs a Butch car
2020 Crosstrek Premium
914 Posts
I wonder if this is a California thing? The 2020 Prius Prime and 2018 Chevy Bolt don't have this at all.
My parent's Prius does it. I think it's a '15.
I was told it'd for liability reasons because when in electric mode the Prius is too quiet. Not sure if that's true, but I didn't care enough to Google it.
Speaking of which - did you Google it?

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek PHEV Lagoon Blue Pearl
115 Posts
Yes, we all have it. There is a high pitched static type woo woo sound for pedestrian warning when going slow, or even stopped, in gear. You will notice it at fast food drive-through windows. All Toyota hybrids have the same one.

EVs and Hybrids are nearly silent when going slow. I remember driving my Model 3 in an NFL parking lot where people tail gate...no one knew I was behind them as they slowly walked in the parking lot.

You will also hear electric deceleration sounds when slowing, etc. That's the EV system working...granted my Tesla doesn't make as much noise.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yup, it's on page 30 of the owner's manual. I knew it had it when I researched the vehicle on Subaru's website and I think there was a video as well that touted this alert system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. Thanks, All.

It's funny that my 2020 Prius Prime doesn't do this. Or if it does it's just not anywhere near as noticeable. My Brother's 2018 Bolt also doesn't do it or also is nowhere near as noticeable. I guess the audio dB level isn't standardized.

·
Needs a Butch car
2020 Crosstrek Premium
914 Posts
Ok. Thanks, All.

It's funny that my 2020 Prius Prime doesn't do this. Or if it does it's just not anywhere near as noticeable. My Brother's 2018 Bolt also doesn't do it or also is nowhere near as noticeable. I guess the audio dB level isn't standardized.
I wonder if it's a setting that's turned off on your Prius, or if it's something different about the Prime?
It's pretty noticeable on my folks' Prius.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I wonder if it's a setting that's turned off on your Prius, or if it's something different about the Prime?
It's pretty noticeable on my folks' Prius.
It's a subaru thing. The prius prime doesn't have it (checked the owner's manual). I got so used to it after a few weeks I don't even remember it's there. It's such a minor thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a subaru thing. The prius prime doesn't have it (checked the owner's manual). I got so used to it after a few weeks I don't even remember it's there. It's such a minor thing.
Good to know. I'm not sure how long it will take when I can still hear it over blasting A/C, but maybe there's a way to reduce the level. It's coming from the left front bumper area for sure. You would think it would be the right unless they really do also have it in Japan (where they drive on the left).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Must be model specific bc my neighbor's Rav4 Hybrid, and others, make the same noise.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Good to know. I'm not sure how long it will take when I can still hear it over blasting A/C, but maybe there's a way to reduce the level. It's coming from the left front bumper area for sure. You would think it would be the right unless they really do also have it in Japan (where they drive on the left).
You should only really be able to hear a constant noise with the windows open. It is not that loud. I don't hear it until I am at a drive-thru or in my garage. The noises you hear in the cabin while driving around are mostly when decelerating, which is not the pedestrian warning system.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I just did my first ever charge at an EV station (always just plugged in at home). I kinda wish the charger in the car could handle more to charge faster, but I got 6 or 7 miles back in 40min of charging. They installed a Volta charger at the grocery store near my house and it's free charging for up to 2 hours so it's not bad letting it charge while my wife grocery shops.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You should only really be able to hear a constant noise with the windows open. It is not that loud. I don't hear it until I am at a drive-thru or in my garage. The noises you hear in the cabin while driving around are mostly when decelerating, which is not the pedestrian warning system.
Hmmm. Well, with the windows closed and the A/C blasting, we can still hear it. Is there a volume setting for it? It also gets louder and louder as we go faster until about 22mph and then it's gone at 23. It's always very obvious at that threshold (when it turns off, the silence is golden).

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hmmm. Well, with the windows closed and the A/C blasting, we can still hear it. Is there a volume setting for it? It also gets louder and louder as we go faster until about 22mph and then it's gone at 23. It's always very obvious at that threshold (when it turns off, the silence is golden).
I guess if you can't take it, the service manual should help connect the dots in the wiring system since it's triggered by the transmission in D and R (I do note that R is louder than in D). Maybe it's as easy as pulling a fuse, but maybe there's something under the front bumper you can unplug. The sound doesn't matter to me so I just leave it as is.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ok, so I took the car out to test...

The pedestrian warning system, sounds like static (but that's not really right either) can only be heard with HVAC off, music off, and even then it is barely audible. Open the window and you can hear it.

What I do hear almost all the time, is the electric motor sound for acceleration and deceleration. That is at all times, all speeds (up to 65) and is audible when HVAC and music are ON. However, I don't find it annoying. Sort of sounds like I am on a ride at EPCOT.

Considering the 22mph cut-off, it must be the pedestrian sound, which again, is barely audible in my 2019.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
11,095 Posts
Hi all,

I am new to Subaru and just purchased a 2021 Crosstrek Hybrid. I have owned other plug-in hybrids/electrics, but this one had a new quirk. It has a spaceship sounds that only comes on when the (gas) engine is off and only when it's out of Park and only under 23mph or so.

I took it to the dealer and apparently, it's a "feature," so the car isn't "too quiet" at low speeds. How annoying. They said it's a speaker under the front bumper. I will go looking for it later.

My wife thought it was coming from an ambulance at first and I can't blame her. It's loader than the engine is (if it was on) at some speeds (~10-22mph). The dealer wasn't able to turn it off.
It's not a California thing, it's a federal regulation.

Also, like other federal safety and emission control devices, if you remove, disable or modify them you could get into some trouble, whether it be a fine or, worst case, you kill a pedestrian and are found guilty of criminal negligence and sued for everything you own in civil court.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts