Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to do some sound proofing on this crosstrek cause of the noise. I ended up soundproofing the whole car including front fender liners. I wasn't going to wall paper stuff like some did. They didn't do it years ago so I wasn't going to do it now. I had allot of road noise, especially at highway speeds to the point where I was totally drain of the noise. Sounded like going down the road in a medal trash can. I installed g-mat on the inside skin of the doors and tailgate with 30% covered pieces spaced out, you want to eliminate the medal ting to a dull thug. Jute padding installed between the panels and the plastic vapor barrier of the doors. To hold the Jute in place I used duck tape and hot glue gun. In the front plastic inner fender liners I installed 3M™ Thinsulate™ Acoustic Insulation. I had to use a head gun to reform the plastic some, to get the 3M mat to fit, (what a f--- drop in road noise). Back interior inner fender well gtmat and some Jute padding. The finial, was jute padding under the carpet. The total amount of material used was about 150 sq ft of Jute 1/8 thick doubling up it in some areas, 30 sq ft of Gtmat, two pieces of 18 inches x 60 inches of 3m Thinsulate, leftover scraps were stuff under the dash. I was surprise how little soundproofing the manufacture had put in. Very noticeable difference when I got done. Highly recommend doing it. Here is a good site about sound proofing material, note they don't try to sale you anything? Ideas to consider when soundproofing your truck. - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94-98-engine/576543-ideas-consider-when-soundproofing-your-truck.html

·
Registered
10 Posts
Done lots of sound proofing to my Croostrek Hybrid which has added sound proofing already! All 4 doors w speaker upgrades, Remover both front seat, rear seat, carpet, remover all 4 inner fender skirts, head liner, hatch trim, hood added insulation and 8 cans of rubber undercoation spray, added 3 door seal on all doors! added sealant on windshield, rack contact areas, front of car possible wind whistle area all in all it very quiet! even when i brought it in to Subaru dealeshipr the mechanic test drove it which he own a impreza said it very quiet too! i

·
Registered
774 Posts
Done lots of sound proofing to my Croostrek Hybrid which has added sound proofing already! All 4 doors w speaker upgrades, Remover both front seat, rear seat, carpet, remover all 4 inner fender skirts, head liner, hatch trim, hood added insulation and 8 cans of rubber undercoation spray, added 3 door seal on all doors! added sealant on windshield, rack contact areas, front of car possible wind whistle area all in all it very quiet! even when i brought it in to Subaru dealeshipr the mechanic test drove it which he own a impreza said it very quiet too! i

Sounds like you took almost everything (seats and carpet, etc), out of the car to the bare floor??? You sprayed the rubber undercoating on the metal floor and then put all back on it?

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sounds like you took almost everything (seats and carpet, etc), out of the car to the bare floor??? You sprayed the rubber undercoating on the metal floor and then put all back on it?
I laid jute padding on the floor. Didn't use any spray undercoating. You get much more bang for the buck using high quality jute padding. If I had to do again I would have removed the foam blocks from under the gas pedal and laid some additional insulated sound absorbing material. The floor is a very hard ridge structure of the car. Majority of the noise is coming from the tinny doors, and fenders.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How did you add sealant to the windshield, and what is rack contact areas?

·
Registered
149 Posts
what do you mean by "3 door seal" anything in particular you used? Also, how hard was to take out the head liner?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think "3 door seal" refers to what used to be called "wind lacing," the weather stripping on the doorframes to keep road and tire noise out. The Crosstrek comes with two; somehow he found a way to add a third strip.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Very nice and thank you Billybob. Where did you get the jute padding, please? What brand name and model/type did you use, please? Please post some pictures.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very nice and thank you Billybob. Where did you get the jute padding, please? What brand name and model/type did you use, please? Please post some pictures.
. You can purchased thought auto shops, internet. I got mine through Amazon, Roberts 70-190 Super Felt Premium Felt Underlayment and layered it as much as I could.

·
Registered
774 Posts
. You can purchased thought auto shops, internet. I got mine through Amazon, Roberts 70-190 Super Felt Premium Felt Underlayment and layered it as much as I could.
From the pictures on the Amazon website it looks similar to one of the types of stuff placed underneath home carpeting. Is it, please? Is it the same type of stuff one can buy @ your neighborhood Home Depot? Thank you!!

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I did look for it at my local Home Depot couldn't find it in stock. They may have it at your store. Hopefully you can find it, this isn't rocket science, it's a cheap material. The 1/8 inch layer had a plastic backing to hold the jute together. You can also look for 1/4 inch jute for autos. The internet has so many choices, Google it. This stuff is great in absorbing the road noise. I've found old mattresses that had layers of jute padding material. In which I've removed and packed it in between the door panels and vapor barrier.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I tried a simpler approach: I've cut 12" and 18" lengths of closed-cell polyurethane pipe insulation and sliced them lengthwise into strips and stuffed the space between the inner and outer front fender panels to reduce road noise. Also added an adhesive-backed foam insulation strip to the body around the front edge of the door openings. My attempt is to block the most obvious acoustic path from the front tires into the passenger compartment. I've measured a reduction from 70 dbA to about 65 dbA at my ear level while driving on local arterials. Freeway driving is still noisy, but largely wind noise from my kayak rack and other traffic. I've ordered the under-dash fan cover kit, which should arrive this time next week. So far; so good!

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I tried a simpler approach: I've cut 12" and 18" lengths of closed-cell polyurethane pipe insulation and sliced them lengthwise into strips and stuffed the space between the inner and outer front fender panels to reduce road noise. Also added an adhesive-backed foam insulation strip to the body around the front edge of the door openings. My attempt is to block the most obvious acoustic path from the front tires into the passenger compartment. I've measured a reduction from 70 dbA to about 65 dbA at my ear level while driving on local arterials. Freeway driving is still noisy, but largely wind noise from my kayak rack and other traffic. I've ordered the under-dash fan cover kit, which should arrive this time next week. So far; so good!
That pipe insulation is not design for absorbing road noise,it's used for just retaining heat. Their certain frequencies your getting from the road and engine. Jute padding is ideal and cheap. 3m thinsulate acoustic, is great water resistance for inner fender liners, but expensive. You're wasting your time and energy not putting in the correct material. Ideas to consider when soundproofing your truck. - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
Oldpro's 5db difference doesn't sound like a waste of time to me. :)
I agree that a -5 db does show a level of effectiveness in Oldpro's approach.

I think billybob was thinking that it would have been more effective use of Oldpro's time if "better" materials were used to start off with - might have made the -5db change to something a bit more with the same amount of time and effort!

My only concern about adding any padding like material to the wheel well area is that water might collect around and in that padding causing a possibility of rust as well as smell (from mould) as the area won't be able to dry out correctly. When I removed the rear wheel well liner on the passenger side, I found some evidence of moisture (water marks and what looks like deposits) on the metal surfaces behind the plastic liner tell me that moisture gets back there. So, I'll limit myself to spraying some undercoating on the inside of the wheel well liner (ie not facing the tire) to add some sound deadening (which a simple tapping test to the liner shows - "tap tap" when to "thud thud") to that area for now. When I get around to removing the wheel well liner in the front, I'll re-evaluate the situation depending if there is any evidence of moisture in the front under the liner.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Sorry living in Florida, we don't get much rain and when it does it doesn't last very long. When I applied the 3m matt I trimmed it so it just laied on the plastic liner, short enough that it didn't touch any medial. So if it got damp or wet it would drain away and air out. Saw shots of a Kia Soul soundproofing kit. It had pre cut of pieces of sounding adsorbing material they used plastic locking pins to attach the blanket. 2010-2013 Soul DIY Soundproofing Kit - Shark Racing

1 - 20 of 85 Posts