Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
'23 Limited
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
You made me look. I crawled under with my flashlight and didn't see anything different on my car from what you show on yours. So, to me, it doesn't appear to an assembly issue. It looks like you're on the right track with the drive shaft balance. Good luck tomorrow.

Doug
Thanks for checking yours. 🙏

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Premium 2.0 CVT
409 Posts
LMFAO to your last line.

When I brought it into the dealer a little over a week ago, they did not notice the issue. They did however doing alignment when I insisted they check it and it in fact was off.

When I go into the dealer next week, I'm going to have video of the rear diff excess play, and I'm going to be more insistent.

But the question I ask, what if the dealership keeps denying there's a problem, will Subaru of America step in and buy the car back? Will any of this apply if that happens? Because it definitely seems like I might be getting the push off on this.

I will make sure it's a loaded up the back with some weight before I go in, as that exacerbates the issue. I'm not even talking crazy weight, 150 to 200 lb and it gets considerably worse.

Anyways, thanks for the advice, I'm going to seriously consider this. I still want a Crosstrek, and I would even consider getting another limited provided it doesn't have this issue. And I would make sure to take my STI wheels with me.

And even if they buy back my car, I'm going to lose a considerable amount of money. I had the freaking thing ceramic coated, lol!
That sucks, having paid the cost for the ceramic coating etc…

As for the weight, that is continuing to point to a driveline issue - since weight changes the angles of the driveshafts ever so slightly.

If you grab the rear driveshaft right where it enters the rear differential, can you move it by hand? If there is any more than 1/16” play in it - there’s an issue of pinion gear or the like.

I’m surprised no sound accompanies this… I drove a Jeep wrangler some years ago that I was interested in purchasing, and it felt like there were helium balloons constantly lifting and dropping the car…. It was very mild at low speed, worse at mid speeds, and aggressive but sort of blended out at high speeds. It was like when a small plane hits a wind pocket and drops several feet and you gasp - lol. Crawled under it before bringing it back to the customer… Turns out there was a bad u-joint and the rearward driveshaft was bent ever so slightly. This produces an oval effect in its rotation, not allowing proper balance and bringing a horrible user experience as well as undue wear and tear on the carrier bearings and other driveline components.

·
Registered
'23 Limited
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
Went to the shop today to film the car in the air and the car went into limp mode. VSS fault popped up and only the front wheels were moving. After taking it down and driving it, it seemed to go back to normal, but now I have NO power steering 😔

Update: All 4 vehicle speed sensors were faulted, so they had to be reset with the big snap-on tool and now all is well with the power steering. The other mechanic told me that they should not have touched the traction control switch. That's what caused it to go crazy.

I'm just going to wait till my Monday appointment with the dealership, don't want to make the situation worse than it already is.

I'm wondering if I should even tell the dealer that I went to a private mechanic and we ran it in the air on the lift. Don't want them blaming me for anything.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Premium 2.0 CVT
409 Posts
Went to the shop today to film the car in the air and the car went into limp mode. VSS fault popped up and only the front wheels were moving. After taking it down and driving it, it seemed to go back to normal, but now I have NO power steering 😔

Update: All 4 vehicle speed sensors were faulted, so they had to be reset with the big snap-on tool and now all is well with the power steering. The other mechanic told me that they should not have touched the traction control switch. That's what caused it to go crazy.

I'm just going to wait till my Monday appointment with the dealership, don't want to make the situation worse than it already is.

I'm wondering if I should even tell the dealer that I went to a private mechanic and we ran it in the air on the lift. Don't want them blaming me for anything.
Definitely do not tell the dealer you brought it elsewhere to be looked at. That’s just a golden egg for them to crack open and say you caused the issue by doing that and it’s void of warranty now.

·
Registered
'23 Limited
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Brought the car back in. Had a hard time getting them to really dig into it. I managed to get a crosstrek loaner, although a 2019, which has a different rear suspension. Well not really different, but it was revised in 2020.

They told me they checked out my Crosstrek and found nothing abnormal. Even though they didn't even put a mile on the car, I told them I can tell from the app that they didn't move the car since I dropped it off. So I think they are playing games.

Nonetheless, the loaner definitely feels better than my car, but I could still feel a little bit of the uneasiness in the back, so I guess that these cars are just funky that way. Disappointing.

Now I just have to decide on what my next move is. Do I keep the car and just accept it, or do I look around to trade for something else. The latter of course is the more expensive of the two options, as the best case scenario will still have me losing close to four grand all together. To be honest, anything comparable is going to be hard to get. I considered getting a sportage hybrid or Tucson hybrid, but they're impossible to find now. Only other viable option would be to just get a Civic hatchback and call it a day, but then I'm giving up all-wheel drive.

Perhaps I will just keep this car. Aside from the issue, I think it's a great car for what it is.

·
Registered
2023 Crosstrek Limited
29 Posts
Thanks for the update. I see a few options...
  1. Take the high road and work with Subaru of America and the your state business regulations and organize a formal complaint. I see this taking time, the outcome being questionable and a total pain in the $ss, but very wishful thinking is that you could get a new car, or someone/somewhere will be brought into the equation that will identify the source of your issue.
  1. Presuming you feel safe in the car, take the low road and accept the car for what it is, and also for what it isn’t, and drive it and enjoy! Remember, "...a Crosstrek is a low-end Subaru, even in the limited trim... It isn't like you own a $60K European SUV". I’ve learned with 20 years of Subaru that things surface, drive you nuts, and within a few thousand miles they shake themselves out of the funk. Take out some friends and have then make fun of you complaining, and see if that calms you down.
  1. If you don’t feel safe, then trade-in the car. No one will dig into “why are you trading this in”, it could be something like “my partner doesn’t like the color”, or “there is a horrible issue that I won’t tell you about, but it is there”. You might lose a few thousand dollars, but you’ll get a new car. If you like Subaru, just go to a new dealership.
I think the safety element needs to influence your next step, that ultimately is what matters.

good luck and be patient with yourself

·
Registered
22. Crosstrek Sport
58 Posts
Brought the car back in. Had a hard time getting them to really dig into it. I managed to get a crosstrek loaner, although a 2019, which has a different rear suspension. Well not really different, but it was revised in 2020.

They told me they checked out my Crosstrek and found nothing abnormal. Even though they didn't even put a mile on the car, I told them I can tell from the app that they didn't move the car since I dropped it off. So I think they are playing games.

Nonetheless, the loaner definitely feels better than my car, but I could still feel a little bit of the uneasiness in the back, so I guess that these cars are just funky that way. Disappointing.

Now I just have to decide on what my next move is. Do I keep the car and just accept it, or do I look around to trade for something else. The latter of course is the more expensive of the two options, as the best case scenario will still have me losing close to four grand all together. To be honest, anything comparable is going to be hard to get. I considered getting a sportage hybrid or Tucson hybrid, but they're impossible to find now. Only other viable option would be to just get a Civic hatchback and call it a day, but then I'm giving up all-wheel drive.

Perhaps I will just keep this car. Aside from the issue, I think it's a great car for what it is.
I would say do not settle. I have a 22 Sport. It has been rock solid ride wise both on and off road and both before and after I installed Ironman 4X4 suspension.
Make the fix it. Run it up the flag pole as far as it will go.

·
Registered
'23 Limited
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Thanks for the update. I see a few options...
  1. Take the high road and work with Subaru of America and the your state business regulations and organize a formal complaint. I see this taking time, the outcome being questionable and a total pain in the $ss, but very wishful thinking is that you could get a new car, or someone/somewhere will be brought into the equation that will identify the source of your issue.

1. Presuming you feel safe in the car, take the low road and accept the car for what it is, and also for what it isn’t, and drive it and enjoy! Remember, "...a Crosstrek is a low-end Subaru, even in the limited trim... It isn't like you own a $60K European SUV". I’ve learned with 20 years of Subaru that things surface, drive you nuts, and within a few thousand miles they shake themselves out of the funk. Take out some friends and have then make fun of you complaining, and see if that calms you down.

1. If you don’t feel safe, then trade-in the car. No one will dig into “why are you trading this in”, it could be something like “my partner doesn’t like the color”, or “there is a horrible issue that I won’t tell you about, but it is there”. You might lose a few thousand dollars, but you’ll get a new car. If you like Subaru, just go to a new dealership.
I think the safety element needs to influence your next step, that ultimately is what matters.

good luck and be patient with yourself
Thanks for the advice. At this point I'm apt to pick option 2. The timing of everything is pretty bad for something like this. The wife and I are moving up north in less than a month and I just don't have the time to deal with this. The car is mostly fine and plenty drivable, so that is what I will do. Keep it for a year or two and then trade it for something else when the time is right.
Have another owner drive your car.
Check tire pressures, I do best at the oem stagger in pressures plus 3psi.
Drive it with all traction and stability control deactivated.
I tried everything including driving with the traction control on and off, and it made no difference.
I'm going to play around with the PSI, I have it all around at 32. I don't think it'll make any difference, but I do want it a little higher for gas savings.

I would say do not settle. I have a 22 Sport. It has been rock solid ride wise both on and off road and both before and after I installed Ironman 4X4 suspension.
Make the fix it. Run it up the flag pole as far as it will go.
It's rock solid, and it's probably something that most everybody else has in theirs, maybe to a lesser degree, or people don't notice it as much as I do. Admittedly, I can be pretty nutty sometimes.

At this point, I just don't want to deal with this. Got lots going on, relocating in less than a month, and I can't deal with this right now. If it's not an easy fix, I need to suck it up for the time being.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the advice. At this point I'm apt to pick option 2. The timing of everything is pretty bad for something like this. The wife and I are moving up north in less than a month and I just don't have the time to deal with this. The car is mostly fine and plenty drivable, so that is what I will do. Keep it for a year or two and then trade it for something else when the time is right.

I tried everything including driving with the traction control on and off, and it made no difference.
I'm going to play around with the PSI, I have it all around at 32. I don't think it'll make any difference, but I do want it a little higher for gas savings.

It's rock solid, and it's probably something that most everybody else has in theirs, maybe to a lesser degree, or people don't notice it as much as I do. Admittedly, I can be pretty nutty sometimes.

At this point, I just don't want to deal with this. Got lots going on, relocating in less than a month, and I can't deal with this right now. If it's not an easy fix, I need to suck it up for the time being.
Totally different beast, but my 1992 Miata can be overly sensitive to tire pressures. Would be worth testing that.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
i would think driveline balance is quite rare, when you see it is bouncing typically one of the end or the cv joint may be the culprit. typically when this happen you will soon have oil leak.

·
Registered
21 Sport
2,231 Posts

does your wife drive the crosstrek. if so what does she think?

41 - 54 of 54 Posts