Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After putting my Crosstrek 2013 CVT Premium in "Park" at a nearly level spot, engaging the Parking Brake and stepping out for a moment leaving the engine running, I returned to the driver's seat, released the Parking Brake, and started driving again. Suddenly, the following warning lights came on, all at once:

CHECK ENGINE
AT OIL TEMP (flashing; not always on)
CRUISE CONTROL (clock-like symbol is flashing)
HILL ASSIST ( i.e. warning light lit up indicating the Hill Assist is actually OFF)
VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control)
ABS

Along with these warning lights staying on, the Paddle Shifters stopped activating, either upgear or downgear, the L/M transmission setting is not activating, Cruise Control does not kick in, and assumedly, the ABS system is also not working.

Hill Assist is definitely not kicking in like usual, either up or down our steep driveway.

HOWEVER, normal acceleration, normal braking, regular gear shifting - P, R, N, D - and parking brake ALL WORK FINE; although, there seems to be a slight drag while driving. I'm not sure.

NOTES:

I tried the VDC "activation reset", which turned off the Hill Assist warning light for a few moments only.

When reading the manual, some of the combinations of warning lights seem to point to an "engine emission" issue. But, nothing exactly fits this bill.

While driving, the temperature warning light IS NOT ON and does not indicate an overheated engine.

Our Crosstrek has 122,000+s miles. We just took care of two recent recalls - valve spring recall and faulty brake light switch/ABS/VDC recall - at a Subaru dealership a couple of months ago. The PCV was also replaced which seems to have stopped excess oil consumption.

Does our Crosstrek simply need some kind of computer reset? Can a local Subaru/independent (non-dealership) mechanic assess and fix (or reset) this situation? The closest dealership in our rural area is over two hours away! Getting those two recalls arranged and completed required much time, car loan arrangement, travel cost and inconvenience. I'm hoping the issue is simply a computer glitch or reset, and something not costly to repair.

Please help!... with any insight any of you might have. We will not drive the Crosstrek at this time, except to a mechanic.

Thank you for your time and attention... very much appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To follow up... still have not been driving my car except short distances, but now need to repair (or correct) soon.. Will be calling SOA shortly. Just wondering if anybody in this forum, thinks the dealer could've screwed up the brake lamp recall (or, outside chance, not done anything at all)?.. resulting in my current technical issue? I have recently read a few negative reviews about the dealership that performed the recalls on my Crosstrek.

·
Registered
613 Posts
There has been many reports of the brake light switch not being adjusted properly causing issues.I haven't heard of that causing the paddle shifters to stop working.However,most people never use them so maybe they just didn't notice they weren't working.

·
Registered
100 Posts
You could have a bad battery that isn't taking a full charge. I haven't experienced it with a Crosstrek, but I know the newer Honda CRV's bring up all sorts of unrelated alarms when the battery starts to fail. The fact that the engine still starts does NOT mean the battery is ok.

Not driving much would exacerbate the situation. A flooded cell vehicle battery at rest should never read below 12.2 volts, as the plates in the cells will start to sulfate prematurely. Check your battery voltage with a digital voltmeter with the engine shut off and no load on the battery. Here's a chart that gives a guide to battery condition:

Battery Voltage.JPG

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,809 Posts
You could have a bad battery that isn't taking a full charge. I haven't experienced it with a Crosstrek, but I know the newer Honda CRV's bring up all sorts of unrelated alarms when the battery starts to fail. The fact that the engine still starts does NOT mean the battery is ok.

Not driving much would exacerbate the situation. A flooded cell vehicle battery at rest should never read below 12.2 volts, as the plates in the cells will start to sulfate prematurely. Check your battery voltage with a digital voltmeter with the engine shut off and no load on the battery. Here's a chart that gives a guide to battery condition:
True, although I found it very difficult to keep our OEM battery over 12.2V with normal driving. I did a lot of experiments, trying to get a dash cam working in parking mode. I eventually replaced it with an AGM and they have a slightly different state of charge profile:

Worth looking into though...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions. We determined our battery to be in good shape.

Our local mechanic determined codes to be P700 (generic transmission control - MIL request); C1431 (TCM Fault); C1422 (VDC Interruption for "Engine Convenience");
**MOST RELEVENT code: C2763 (Lock Up Duty Solenoid Circuit High; other solenoid issues).
Indications: valve body and/or TCM (transmission control module) issue.
He said dealer needed to make repairs or "flash"/reset codes.)
All the aforementioned lights and glitches were happening because Crosstrek went into "safe mode" to coerce us to get into the dealership/repair shop pronto, although a flashing CEL light would be even more serious - ours was not flashing.

Called SOA and said I was concerned whether these codes indicated a common problem resulting from the two recalls - brake light switch, and valve springs replacement. SOA offered $400 towing cost into Subaru dealership to figure out- 2 hours away. Called dealership for appointment and also found out SOA would likely balk at repair cost because CVT-related repairs (extended warranty) would have to be within 100,000+ miles or happen by 2023. Our XV has over 122K. The Subaru dealership said if codes were accurate, valve body needed replacement (nothing to do with recalls) and would cost about $1300, including $175 diagnosis. They would keep car two to three days and loaner would cost $30/day. I had planned to request from SOA to cover loaner costs. Also, dealership said manager would request repair cost coverage, but doubtful SOA would cover.

We decided to research a couple of import mechanics closer to us. Found a mechanic/NAPA repair shop a half hour away who diagnosed same codes for $150. Then, repaired and replaced broken valve body and related solenoids with genuine Subaru kit ordered from aforementioned Subaru dealership... A four-part system as I understand it. NAPA two-year repair warranty includes official Subaru warranty for their valve kit. The NAPA shop felt this issue is common Subaru problem because the dealership had at least four kits in stock.

Subaru valve kit about $800+ plus other parts. Billed $1118 plus $150 diagnosis = total about $1270.
So, no big savings versus dealership, but time saved from dealing with a towing service, a loaner and getting back a forth for repair two hours away. Also, not sure if SOA would've helped out with loaner or repair/part cost, so decided to take care of it out of pocket, locally...Ouch. Time and (in)convenience is money. We also took calculated risk to drive, not tow, 35 miles to the repair shop.

Everything works great now and back to normal.

Hope this helps some of you. If your car has less than 100,000 miles and has these issues, get it fixed by 2023 and there's some chance SOA will pay for any CVT-issue repair.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this post is dated but I hope my situation can help someone. I have a 2014 Forester with 133,000 miles. Recently got the Christmas Tree dash of AT oil temp, hill assist, ABS, traction control. Intermittent at first then consistent. When lights were on and driving at any speed rpms would drop to 1000 when foot was removed from the gas pedal. Other than that drove fine, car has always been jerky since we got it a year ago.
After plugging in my Autel scanner 1 code was in the transmission for the solenoid Value high. I knew it was the valve body after some quick research. I found that Subaru extended warranty to 100k.
Went to my local dealer for official diagnosis and documentation. They said of course it needs a valve body $1500 plus labor plus new fluid $250.
I responded “so Subaru won’t do anything with this?”
Dealer “no, and your way over 100k so there’s nothing I can do but you can contact. Subaru corporate and see if they will help you.”
They were completing the rear spring recall too, so 20 minutes later the service advisor came out and said she had some news.
She said she had her manger contact their regional rep at Subaru of America and he agreed to to cover the repair in full because it’s such a common problem. The only stipulation was he requested a fluid change that I would have to cover because it’s considered a normal maintenance item.
In the end I paid $262 out the door with new fluid, valve body, rear springs.
I hope this information helps someone, thx. If anyone is curious I Live in RI and the dealer was Balise Subaru

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
@Joepi Thanks for the great story about SOA support! Recently, I also reconnected with Subaru of America after my last post describing how we finally resolved our Valve Body situation. Months afterwards, I thought it wouldn't hurt to follow through and ask the "SOA Advocate" that had been communicating with me earlier, if SOA would be open to contributing financially to the Valve Body repair even though I did not go to an official Subaru dealership and even though our Crosstrek was sitting at over 100,000 miles; also, given the NAPA mechanic had ordered the official Subaru part/valve body; plus, ultimately I saved SOA the $400 they had offered to cover towing to the dealership a couple hundred miles away.

Long story short (and a great ender!): SOA, through my assigned "advocate", agreed to reimburse me $750.00 toward the valve body repair*... basically covering the cost of the part. The advocate said she wanted to offer support for the experience we had to endure and hopefully contribute to ongoing loyalty to the Subaru brand.

* We were asked to submit photocopies of our repair estimate and invoice from the mechanic; also, I voluntarily included a photo of the
barcode from the new Subaru Valve Body box, which contained the old faulty part, which we had requested to be returned.

Indeed, we will be looking into buying a Forester in the future.

Love... Is What Makes A Subaru!

·
Registered
227 Posts
It seems they have been at least giving half off or 1k off very often on these valve body replacements they seem to be the most common issue with the cvt.

Always call Subaru of America and try to get some money back towards it, they seem to usually offer some money.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts