Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013. 120K miles. Trans was acting funny then all the lights came on. From my research, it seems that one of the solenoids crapped out. I did a resistance check and it sort of confirms it. @ 120K I'm out of even the extended warranty so I'm looking at big bucks to fix it. There are solenoids on E-bay for around $60. They say they're for the TR 580 or 690 trans. Apparently the '13 is an oddball so I'd like to know exactly what trans do I have? Major PITA to do but I should be grateful that the valve body's on the top & I don't have to pull the pan & work overhead. I also heard that it may be considered part of the PZEV system & that's covered for 150K. Any truth to that?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Sometimes through creative interpretation a driveline component could be considered a part of the emission system as a malfunctioning trans would cause the engine to not run correctly and therefore not be in spec. That's the pitch I'm planning anyway. I did bring it in before 100K as I thought it was acting weird so there is a record.

·
Registered
298 Posts
You have the valve body illness. The whole thing has to come out from the engine bay. SOA don’t warranty that? You might want to call and make some noises. It is a widely spreaded issue with the 580 tranny. I think that’s why SOA offered the 10Y/100K extended CVT warranty to a lot of MY and models with TR580.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got 120K. Dealer said that even if it has 100,001 miles on it SOA won't cover it. Easy enough fix though I feel that I kind of got ripped at the dealer for re-programming.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Dealer wants your money, Try making a stink with SOA in NJ. What have you got to lose just a few minutes of your time? They know they made some screwed up CVT or two otherwise it won’t be a goodwill 10Y/100K extended warranty on so many treks and Impreza.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Technically, one could argue that every part of the drivetrain is PZEV. Since, if anything fails, the vehicle doesn’t run right, and that can tank mileage. Not that SoA will cover that. But it is something we have discussed in meetings.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You've posted a LOT of negative comments here about the CVT. Do you have any backup?
SOA should have required fluid changes more often than "lifetime". Whatever friction molecules are in the magic juice will eventually wear out due to oil shear. With the chain slip-sliding all over the place there's going to be wear particles as well. All that will dirty things up and eventually gum up the VB.
Even better. I get a slight growl under load now. I believe that the bearings are going. Asked a trans shop about rebuilding a CVT and he said I was SOL. No reputable shop will do it as they can't guarantee it. He suggested buying a new one. Not paying $8K for a trans on a $10K car. I'll be trading it in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts