Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'21 XV Touring 6MT; '94 Legacy wagon; '96 SVX (x2); '06 STi; '08 Forester; '17 Outback 3.6R Ltd
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
With the '22 Crosstrek PHEV model here in Canada coming with 18" wheels, are the 17" wheels and snow tires that I currently have on my '21 Crosstrek and previously on my '17 Outback okay to use?

Thanks,
Rod

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Plug-in Hybrid
1,174 Posts
Hi,
With the '22 Crosstrek PHEV model here in Canada coming with 18" wheels, are the 17" wheels and snow tires that I currently have on my '21 Crosstrek and previously on my '17 Outback okay to use?

Thanks,
Rod
I certainly don't see a problem with that. Won't be a weight issue given the extra weight of the car. Only thing I can see that might be an issue is just clearance of the brakes inside the wheel since the brakes are slightly bigger than the standard Crosstreks, but I don't think it's that much bigger they required an 18" wheel. Bolt pattern should be the same as well.

·
Registered
'21 XV Touring 6MT; '94 Legacy wagon; '96 SVX (x2); '06 STi; '08 Forester; '17 Outback 3.6R Ltd
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I certainly don't see a problem with that. Won't be a weight issue given the extra weight of the car. Only thing I can see that might be an issue is just clearance of the brakes inside the wheel since the brakes are slightly bigger than the standard Crosstreks, but I don't think it's that much bigger they required an 18" wheel. Bolt pattern should be the same as well.
Hi and thanks. I'd hope / expect the bolt patterns would be the same on the PHEV as the normal XVs, but as luck would have it, my aftermarket alloys with the snow tires that were on my Outback have both the Outback's 5x114 pattern and the XV's 5x100, so it should cover all the bases. And yes, the PHEV's larger rear brakes are something to check -- thanks!

I wonder why, though, other than for styling, that the PHEV has 18" wheels with lower profile Falken tires instead of the usual Bridgestones...

Rod

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Plug-in Hybrid
1,174 Posts
Hi and thanks. I'd hope / expect the bolt patterns would be the same on the PHEV as the normal XVs, but as luck would have it, my aftermarket alloys with the snow tires that were on my Outback have both the Outback's 5x114 pattern and the XV's 5x100, so it should cover all the bases. And yes, the PHEV's larger rear brakes are something to check -- thanks!

I wonder why, though, other than for styling, that the PHEV has 18" wheels with lower profile Falken tires instead of the usual Bridgestones...

Rod
According to Tire Rack, the hybrid is also 5x100 pattern so should be good from that standpoint. Not sure why they went to 18" either because I would've preferred 17" for less unsprung weight and a slightly bigger sidewall. It looks like there is no load index issue as the 17s and 18s are the same 98 load index between the hybrid and ICE Crosstreks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts