Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
You are correct. "Street legal output" is a marketing term, referring to the beam pattern itself. We took the idea from other, much larger companies, who used the same type of terminology in describing the output of their products. However, even though the output pattern is correct, the bulbs are not fully compliant, due to marking and geometric requirements. We did not advertise them as DOT compliant, though I understand how "street legal output" may be interpreted that way. I apologize for any confusion on terminology. Thanks!
Now I do acuse you. You are clearly trying to wiggle out of responsibility by blaming other companies for your actions. You either stand by your products or you don't, you dont. I'd never buy another product from you, & would always try to convince others not to. You intentionally mislead people, and dont try that "interpreted" baloney. You may have walked the legal tightrope, but you've blown your reputation in the process. You made a good buck tricking consumers, now I hope your company fails. I'll be sure to make sure other forums I use are aware of you giving your customers the finger.

·
Site Sponsor
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Now I do acuse you. You are clearly trying to wiggle out of responsibility by blaming other companies for your actions. You either stand by your products or you don't, you dont. I'd never buy another product from you, & would always try to convince others not to. You intentionally mislead people, and dont try that "interpreted" baloney. You may have walked the legal tightrope, but you've blown your reputation in the process. You made a good buck tricking consumers, now I hope your company fails. I'll be sure to make sure other forums I use are aware of you giving your customers the finger.
There was never any ambiguity in how we advertised this product. We did not intentionally mislead anyone. "Street Legal Output" was defined on our website, and clearly described the compliance of the beam pattern itself, which is fully accurate. We stand by our claims, and we are not trying to wiggle out of anything.

I'm sorry to hear that you would prefer our company fails, as we employ dozens of people, making the product you're talking about and many others here in the US. I am also having a very hard time understanding how we are "giving the finger" to anyone with this response. If any customer of ours feels misled in any way, contact us and we will find a solution. That is obviously not our intention as a business.

Paul
Diode Dynamics

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,886 Posts
I'm not a mod here but I have been following this and I would not recommend responding to @Dougjc

@Diode Dynamics you have explained your situation and I get it... 😸

Reactions: Diode Dynamics

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think the main mistake made by DD here is, while only claiming "street legal output", the very use of the word "legal" was misleading, as most other aspects of these bulbs were not legal. It's not like DOT certification for bulbs is a brand new thing that just happened and caught everyone by surprise. They should have all along been pointing out in NOT-fine-print that the bulbs were not compliant with federal standard FMVSS108 and therefore not DOT certified, and warned that the bulbs were not intended for use on public highways. Of course had they had this 20/20 hindsight back when deciding to commit engineering resources toward these bulbs, the project would have never started. Instead, they're probably looking at customer lawsuits and an inventory of hundreds if not thousands of unsold SL1 bulbs, and trying to figure out how to recoup that investment. Sadly it's a lose-lose for for both SL1 bulb customers and DD. I do like to see small U.S. companies engineer quality products that fill a hole in the marketplace, but apparently their lawyers either weren't very good or weren't consulted before the SL1 project was given the green light.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,886 Posts
Not sure why some folks here are dissing a vendor who supports this site. There are loads of other threads here advocating tinting, deleting front license plates, blacking out tail lights, even headlights, all of which is illegal in most states in the US. But you can buy it on Amazon or eBay!

It's pretty simple, just check your local laws before you mod. Where we live, in Santa Monica, they love to ticket for that stuff! 😸

Reactions: SubaruBill

·
Registered
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
1,087 Posts
Not sure why some folks here are dissing a vendor who supports this site. There are loads of other threads here advocating tinting, deleting front license plates, blacking out tail lights, even headlights, all of which is illegal in most states in the US. But you can buy it on Amazon or eBay!

It's pretty simple, just check your local laws before you mod. Where we live, in Santa Monica, they love to ticket for that stuff! 😸

The problem here is that for most of us it never would have occurred to us that this might be a problem. So I feel it does fall on the vendor to be clear about what their product is allowed for.

And while I won't say that DD's response in this thread was so much wrong, I will say that it has been very poorly articulated.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts