Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Site Sponsor
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

In our latest video, we answer one of the most popular questions about headlight upgrades: Which is better, HID or LED? Check it out!

Jake H.
Diode Dynamics

·
Registered
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
1,088 Posts
I ordered some bulbs.

·
Site Sponsor
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Measuring Headlight Output | Diode Dynamics

How are headlight output patterns measured at the factory level? How do you test to see if a headlight is meeting SAE and DOT beam pattern requirements? Here at Diode Dynamics, we've invested in a goniometer to accurately measure and map the entire beam pattern and ensure our products are adding light output without adding extra glare.

Check out the video to see how it works!

Jake H.
Diode Dynamics

·
Site Sponsor
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

Our SL1 LED Headlight Bulbs were built to last. And we've done the testing to prove it. Check out a behind-the-scenes look into our lab where we conduct thermal, vibration, and electrical testing to ensure years of reliable performance without flickering or failure!

Jake H.
Diode Dynamics

·
Site Sponsor
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

We're proud to be one of the only manufacturers of LED headlight bulbs in the U.S.A! By engineering, testing, and manufacturing our SL1 LED Headlight Bulbs at our headqaurters in St. Louis , we're able to ensure maximum quality and performance. Check out how they are made in the video above!

And be sure to shoot us a PM for FREE USPS shipping on any U.S order!

Jake H.
Diode Dynamics

·
Registered
816 Posts
Hey there, I just ordered these for my XV 2015. I guess I have to adjust the rotation when installing them?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hey there, I just ordered these for my XV 2015. I guess I have to adjust the rotation when installing them?
Dont over-think it. On my 18' it was simple to align the tabs, turn & done. The LED chips should point to the side of the car, thats it. One other thing if the lights dont work, it means you plugged the connector in backwards, just reverse it.

Reactions: djriful

·
Site Sponsor
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Here are some images to help with collar rotation! You can also watch this video which shows how to rotate the collars! If you have any other questions, just let us know!

Low Beam:

High Beam:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just installed some SL1 in my '18 and they look great, but now I have an issue with radio reception on some stations when the lights are on. I wanted to see if this was a common side-effect, and if there was anything I could do in order to remedy the effect. I see on some sites that a clip on ferrite ring would help, but I wanted to see if that would cause any issues with the lights?

·
Registered
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
1,088 Posts
Never noticed a problem like that.

·
Site Sponsor
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I just installed some SL1 in my '18 and they look great, but now I have an issue with radio reception on some stations when the lights are on. I wanted to see if this was a common side-effect, and if there was anything I could do in order to remedy the effect. I see on some sites that a clip on ferrite ring would help, but I wanted to see if that would cause any issues with the lights?
Hi there! We've never heard of this issue before. Please go ahead and give us a call at 314-205-3033 Monday-Friday 9 a.m.- 5 p.m. CST, or shoot us an email at [email protected], and we can help you troubleshoot.

-Collin

·
Registered
233 Posts
OK, so these bulbs are no longer being promoted for street use due to all LED replacement headlamp bulbs in halogen housing not being DOT compliant. Where's the DD statement about that? Where were the lawyers when the product was being promoted for street use? And why isn't the top article in this thread reflecting that?

·
Site Sponsor
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
OK, so these bulbs are no longer being promoted for street use due to all LED replacement headlamp bulbs in halogen housing not being DOT compliant. Where's the DD statement about that? Where were the lawyers when the product was being promoted for street use? And why isn't the top article in this thread reflecting that?
Hi there! Our LED Headlight bulbs were designed and tested for effective photometric output, providing increased output with compliant beam patterns when installed in specific applications. However, the federal regulations do not include any provision for LED replacement headlamp bulbs, so we were forced to suspend the sale of our LED headlight bulbs and HID conversion kits. There. Unfortunately, this applies to all LED headlight bulbs and HID conversion kits, not just Diode Dynamics. We include a statement in the link below!

https://www.diodedynamics.com/street-use-of-led-bulbs

-Collin

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi there! Our LED Headlight bulbs were designed and tested for effective photometric output, providing increased output with compliant beam patterns when installed in specific applications. However, the federal regulations do not include any provision for LED replacement headlamp bulbs, so we were forced to suspend the sale of our LED headlight bulbs and HID conversion kits. There. Unfortunately, this applies to all LED headlight bulbs and HID conversion kits, not just Diode Dynamics. We include a statement in the link below!
-Collin
Hi Collin. It appears that you do in fact still sell the SL1 bulbs, albeit with a DOT non-compliance warning: SL1 LED Bulbs & Bulb Replacements
The links in your first post in this thread no longer lead to anywhere interesting, such as that statement nor the SL1 bulbs page. I'd suggest editing the opening post to warn about the change of status for these bulbs, and correct the links so that they go somewhere interesting.

·
Site Sponsor
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Hi Collin. It appears that you do in fact still sell the SL1 bulbs, albeit with a DOT non-compliance warning: SL1 LED Bulbs & Bulb Replacements
The links in your first post in this thread no longer lead to anywhere interesting, such as that statement nor the SL1 bulbs page. I'd suggest editing the opening post to warn about the change of status for these bulbs, and correct the links so that they go somewhere interesting.
Thank you! We are still in the process of changing everything over, and this is on our list. We definitely don't want to confuse anybody. For future reference, SL1s can still be purchased as fog light replacement bulbs and can be found on our website under "Forward Lighting."

-Collin

·
Registered
189 Posts

-Collin
I'm just trying to understand your position on this, not accusing you. But didn't you market your LED headlights as street legal? Obviously that was the case because you had a vehicle search tool for street vehicles that had stock halogen models. I'm not aware of any recent changes in federal law, are there any? It seems like your company is trying to wiggle out of responsibility. But I'm willing to hear you out.

·
Site Sponsor
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I'm just trying to understand your position on this, not accusing you. But didn't you market your LED headlights as street legal? Obviously that was the case because you had a vehicle search tool for street vehicles that had stock halogen models. I'm not aware of any recent changes in federal law, are there any? It seems like your company is trying to wiggle out of responsibility. But I'm willing to hear you out.
You are correct. "Street legal output" is a marketing term, referring to the beam pattern itself. We took the idea from other, much larger companies, who used the same type of terminology in describing the output of their products. However, even though the output pattern is correct, the bulbs are not fully compliant, due to marking and geometric requirements. We did not advertise them as DOT compliant, though I understand how "street legal output" may be interpreted that way. I apologize for any confusion on terminology. Thanks!

21 - 40 of 46 Posts