Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bar where the front screws for a skid plate attach is really thin metal. As in, made to support a piece of plastic thin, not made to support a metal skid plate. Just had an oil service done, and when they removed the skid plate they noticed one of the bolts had torn through the bar.

So just a warning to be really careful about attaching a front skid plate. Maybe the washers Caruso Motorsports uses are just way too small - hopefully Primitive or some of the other skid plate sources use monster washers to help prevent this from happening.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This may not be quite so clear cut as the mechanic who did the oil change told me. Instead of a weak bar, the real fault might have been over-tightening at installation. See more at the clubcrosstrek.com discussion of the topic.

Side note: if this is true, as it seems, I have to suggest avoiding Super Rupair in Boulder, CO. They've denied any responsibility for this (expensive) damage to my car that showed up, coincidentally, right after they reinstalled the skid plate...

·
Registered
6 Posts
The bar where the front screws for a skid plate attach is really thin metal. As in, made to support a piece of plastic thin, not made to support a metal skid plate. Just had an oil service done, and when they removed the skid plate they noticed one of the bolts had torn through the bar.

So just a warning to be really careful about attaching a front skid plate. Maybe the washers Caruso Motorsports uses are just way too small - hopefully Primitive or some of the other skid plate sources use monster washers to help prevent this from happening.
this helps a lot as to what skid plate brand to avoid for me. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi. Was thinking of installing primitive plates.

Thanks for the tip. Good to know primitive plates are well designed and engineered to fit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts