Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
You never know but for those not in the know. Never ever put WD40 in your engine. I had to say because god forbid a person takes it seriously.
I would assume that before that person did that, they would have watched the clip to the end thereby seeing the consequence of their decision.

·
Registered
322 Posts
0w20 in n/a (non turbo) for better economy and better start up (especially in cold) protection. also as stated before more power due to less friction and parasitic loss.

vs 5w30 in turbo due to increased heat, increased protection against breakdown. parasitic loss can be overcome due to the snail attached to the exhaust system.

after tracking the trek in ambient temps above 80F and seeing it reach 277F I'm thinking if I ever track it again I will be switching in 5w30 for better protection.

more concerning is when traveling to the mountains in below 40F the oil temp reached 240F. my Corolla (4age) and is300 (2jzge) never saw 250F in any driving situation--uphill or track.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
0w20 in n/a (non turbo) for better economy and better start up (especially in cold) protection. also as stated before more power due to less friction and parasitic loss.

vs 5w30 in turbo due to increased heat, increased protection against breakdown. parasitic loss can be overcome due to the snail attached to the exhaust system.

after tracking the trek in ambient temps above 80F and seeing it reach 277F I'm thinking if I ever track it again I will be switching in 5w30 for better protection.

more concerning is when traveling to the mountains in below 40F the oil temp reached 240F. my Corolla (4age) and is300 (2jzge) never saw 250F in any driving situation--uphill or track.

You don't mention 0w30....????? Just curious since you seem knowledgeable and have some good data!

<for you junk yard dogs out there, I AM NOT going to get in a big discussion about this. Y'all can hash it out among yourselves if you so desire>

:eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
44 Posts

And you didn't mention 75w 90 gear lube????

·
Registered
322 Posts
I don't mention 0w30 bc Subaru doesn't.... I've always used 5w30 in my Toyota cars

·
Registered
44 Posts
75w90 gl4 in the manual box and 80w90 gl5 in the rear end. but those aren't Subarus so how could I have mentioned them until now

If you read all posts in this thread, you will understand my post.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
The title of this thread is "Simple oil question". In this crowd that is a total oxymoron! Ain't no such thing! I think that the above posts have confirmed that. :icon_lol:

·
Registered
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
881 Posts
Is there an automotive equivalent of the Darwin Awards? Before anyone posts it, the story about the guy in Nevada with JATO units attached to his car has been debunked... :D

But I liked that story... :cry:

21 - 30 of 30 Posts