Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks to the OP for sharing this. For further clarification, the oil drain plug is accessed through an oval-shaped hole in the plastic splash guard. It also sits at an angle. The CVT drain plug is aft of the splash guard and is situated with the bolt perpendicular to the ground and the flanged head parallel to the ground.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I can't miss the oil change plug on SG, it's the one withe the Fumoto valve on the pan!:wink:

artosa

·
Not a Canadian
2,569 Posts
Thanks to the OP for sharing this. For further clarification, the oil drain plug is accessed through an oval-shaped hole in the plastic splash guard. It also sits at an angle. The CVT drain plug is aft of the splash guard and is situated with the bolt perpendicular to the ground and the flanged head parallel to the ground.
One sure way to tell if you drained the wrong location will be after you add the new oil. If the dipstick is totally wet, you have 9 qts of oil in your crankcase and none in the CVT.

·
Registered
683 Posts
108N. You might want to get the locking clip for it also, as well as a short length of 3/8 in. inside diameter vinyl tubing to direct the flow into your to-go container.

artosa

Reactions: XV2019

·
Registered
41 Posts
I know...I am beating myself up for such a stupid mistake..shoulda did some reading first but in my defense I have been doing my own maintainence for over 50 years. **** when I was 18 was the lube guy in a VW dealership. Aircraft Technician with over 20 years experience from turbo props to the 777

It was an oil change..the most basic task for a wrench

1st time with a Subaru. will never happen again. but believe me I feel like a idiot
no need to beat yourself up. If I haven’t watch YT videos on these cars. I could have done it myself. Now, the safest way is have it on a flat bed to the dealer or you can attempt to add more fluid to the CVT Which I highly recommend look it up on YT. It is very fuzzy about contamination I heard. If you have money to spare or are covered under roadside assistance then it’s a lesson learned, no biggie.

·
Registered
2021 Sport 2.5 cvt
75 Posts
I can't miss the oil change plug on SG, it's the one withe the Fumoto valve on the pan!😉

artosa
Those were very popular on a motorcycle forum and I have one on my bike. Super handy for sure.
I have never put one on a car though, the fear of hitting and sheering it off worried me. More so on an offroad vehicle. How well does it tuck up under the crosstrek, any pics?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Don't have pics, but it's tucked up far enough for ice and snow. If I were to do off-roading, I would get skid plates to protect the pans, they'll take the biggest hits before the Fumoto gets ripped off!

artosa

·
Has Butch tires
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
901 Posts
Just did my fifth oil change. When I put in the Stahbul drain two changes ago I decided to repaint the CVT plug. I painted it white and used a red sharpie to draw a line through it. I haven't made the mistake of draining the CVT of fluid but I've made my own share of knuckleheaded decisions and painting the plug makes me "notice" it every time I'm under the car. Just the shock of the white thing with the red line is my way of reminding myself to go elsewhere with my wrench. No matter how careful I think of myself I sometimes find myself running with scissors.

·
Registered
2021 Sport 2.5 cvt
75 Posts
Don't have pics, but it's tucked up far enough for ice and snow. If I were to do off-roading, I would get skid plates to protect the pans, they'll take the biggest hits before the Fumoto gets ripped off!

artosa
Ah gotcha, snow would not be a worry. I guess clearance between a skid and the valve would be the next concern.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts