Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Herein I shall describe the troubles and travels of me and my Subaru Crosstrek. I named her Snowball because with the metallic flakes in the Crystal White Metallic, well, she looks like a giant snowball. I'm a simple guy.

I don't plan, at least in the short term, to do any super-crazy or involved mods on her cuz warranty and such. However, I do all kinds of little appearance, protection, and functional/comfort mods. My priorities for mods are in order as follows:

1. Function
2. Value
3. Appearance

As y'all can see, how stuff looks is not the highest priority for me, but I do think about it.

Stuff I've already done:

Exterior:
Brightlines Low-profile Crossbars
- added some cheap weather-stripping to the clamp area to close up the gap these have; seems solid
Rage Cargo Rack
- added self-fusing silicone tape around joints and attachment hardware to prevent water-penetration/rusting that seems to work pretty well
- I purchased this used from a forum member, but have included the Amazon link for anyone interested in one

IMGP7606P_ds.jpg IMGP7609_ds.jpg

Matte black body side molding
Door latch covers
Door hinge covers
Cupeez
Rear Bumper Cover
Front Plate Adapter
Matte black Plasti-dip on the grill "wings"
Various stickers
Valve Caps
- Cuz they're better than the plastic ones :D

Interior:
Drive Car Trash Can
- strapped this behind the center console and have it sitting on the tranny hump; a touch awkward to reach while driving, but it works and isn't in the way of any passengers

IMGP7610_edited.jpg

Custom Fit Center Console Lid Cover
- plush and comfy, like resting my elbow on a stuffed animal :D
Fuse Box Cover Cup
Sun Visor Sunglasses Clip & Headrest Hooks
- these fit decently on the Trek's visor and the hooks give the kids a place to hang their "stuff" bags on road trips so the bags aren't taking up footwell space
Cell Phone Holder
Anker USB Charger Plug
Small leather storage pouch
- attaches via clip to the air vent
- installed on the passenger side to give my wife a place to stash her cell phone during road trips
Seat Cushion
- for my booty comfort on road trips
Black & White Seat Belt Pads
Cupholder Hero's cup holder and other cubby places liners with white trim
- cuz they're cool, and I don't mind spending a little bit on cool, call me a job-creator :D
Husky floor mats
Stark Performance Paddle Shifter Extensions
- very high quality
- rock-solid attachment
- I find them extremely useful as I use my paddle shifters all the time for down-shifting/engine-braking
Drink Dockers
- these things might have a silly name, but they work and they work really well. One of the nitpicks I have about the Trek is that the cup holders don't hold most drinking vessels very securely. They are designed to work with even fat keg-like containers and this leaves space (slack) around most average-ish sized beverage containers. That means in any kind of spirited or enthusiastic driving (aka driving, at least for me), my coffee cups would careen hither and yon, slopping coffee all over. Not anymore.

IMGP7598_edited.jpg

Gear:
Folding Shovel
Car Flashlight/Emergency Toolkit
- this thing is sturdy and well-made, and a surprisingly good value for what it is/does
Cobbled together first-aid kit
Press-board shelf for getting out of sand/mud traction situations
D-ring Shackles
- includes Daystar Isolators
- inspired by stupidchicken's DIY mod using the OEM tow hooks
Dog Seat Belt
- for the safety of my hairy child
Metal Step Stool
- gives me sturdy and stable access to the roof rack
- compact enough to carry in the back
Moravkniv Outdoor Knife
- small but sturdy and very well made, especially for the $
- never know when this kind of tool might come in handy
- inexpensive enough that if it's lost, broken, or stolen it's easily replaced
Air Power Topsider
- I don't carry this in the car, but it's so awesome for changing car oil, especially for the Trek that has the filter on top, that I had to mention it

I plan mainly to use this thread to post pictures and relate travels and stuff. I'll try to include pics of the current mods when I can, as well as any future mods. I will also endeavor to include pics of travels and such. Enjoy :)

·
Registered
956 Posts
You're off to a strong start with the new "Snowball!" :)

I think it could use a small, stuffed Bumble or Snowman in there somewhere. ;)
Hopefully the fur-kid would not make a snack out of it.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're off to a strong start with the new "Snowball!" :)

I think it could use a small, stuffed Bumble or Snowman in there somewhere. ;)
Hopefully the fur-kid would not make a snack out of it.
Now I TOTALLY want a stuffed Bumble to put in there! Great idea. I do have a small white stuffed monkey in there already :D

·
Registered
956 Posts
Depends on where you want to mount it in the car, and if the doggers would eat it. ;)

I generally don't like bobble-head figures, but that one's cute. :)

I can't really take credit for the "Bumble" idea, I knew a guy with a white Dodge Magnum he named "Bumble" and had custom decals inside and out, and plushies. It was well done and won some car show awards.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My thinking too. On one hand, the plush is cute and cool, but it's a foot tall. The figurine is only 3ish inches, so I could double-sided tape it somewhere. Same with the bobblehead, although looking at the bobble's dimensions, it might be a touch big as well. Love the Bumble on the Magnum, that's dang cool.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Palm trees don't really fit with the "snowball" theme, or am I missing something? :confused:
EXACTLY! I hate snow! My wife and I are very seriously considering moving to north Florida where my father-in-law lives sometime in the very near future. I'm hoping one day soon that the ONLY snowball I'll ever see around is my car :D Mainly the palm trees are because I was born on Hatteras Island, grew up in Va. Beach, and my favorite place I've lived so far has been south Florida (Naples, to be precise). The "Snowball" name is mainly due to the crystal white metallic paint looking very snow/ice like. Wasn't trying to make it much of a theme, it's just what I thought of when I first looked at the car up close, and it's kinda stuck.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Works for me too :) Also, I picked the colors of the overlay to continue with the more monotone colors of the rest of the car, and I wanted the palm trees to be more subtle, kinda like the emblem equivalent of ghost flames. Something ya might have to doubletake to notice. The background is matte black to fit in with the other black bits. With the new overlays now I'm thinking of plastidipping the chrome surround around the emblems too, at least on the outside of the car. Not worried as much about the steering wheel logo.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just an update on what's been going on with SB and I. Haven't been doing much with the car as I'm scheduled to take the Comp Tia Security+ certification exam in a little over a week and have been cramming for it. Also, the "volume/power" knob of the head unit broke. It would still turn faux-off by pushing the button, but turning it would result in no change to the volume and the knob itself felt loose. Obviously something inside had broken. Shout out to Brown's Subaru in Manassas VA for fixing it (actually, they replaced the head unit completely) in a single day, under warranty, no charge to me :) Got to drive an orange 'Trek with Premium with Eyesight for the day SB was getting fixed up, so that was fun :D Anyway, she's back and I'm looking forward to summer fun and adventure :) Thinking of asking for the Raingler grab handles for Dad's Day :)

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I also really need to set aside some time to plasti-dip the center section of the rear bumper cover....

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine is scheduled for the 18th. Just finished my associates degree from my local community college in Cyber Security. Now it's the cert exam, then it's into the strange and wonderful world of job hunting.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update: Passed the Sec+ exam and working in my second 3-month paid internship. Also have the A+ exam voucher, just have to study up and take the exam. Then I'll go for the Network+ to stack the certs. As for Snowball, really nothing new. I'm planning on a hitch being the next thing to add.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi have the happy / sad job of reporting that Snowball is no longer a member of the family. Over the weekend, my wife and I traded her in for a silver 2019 Ascent Premium with option package #12. This leaves me with no Crosstrek, so I will most likely be hanging out more on the Ascent forum, although I see R P at least hangs out there as well :) We just needed the extra space, and especially the 3rd row seats. The soon-to-be 16yo stepson is 6'2" tall, and the soon-to-be 14yo is 6' as well. Toss my 13yo son in during my summer visitation and then drive 2 days each way between Florida and No VA and the misery is clear.

This is a great forum, so I'll be sad to frequent it less, and I'm definitely going to miss the Trek. The Ascent, however, is actually a surprisingly great car to drive. I expected it to feel more ponderous and heavy than it does really, and the bigger turbo four is pretty noticeably more powerful. The Ascent handled off-ramps and u-turns like a car (which is why I call it that) rather than the truck-based SUVs I've driven in the past. I'll probably still bounce in and out occasionally, but probably not nrealy as often as I have in the past, which I know y'all get. I'll try to toss up a few pics of the new steed when the weather permits.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts