Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I recently bought a 2014 Dark Gray Metallic XV and I am totally digging it!!! It's my first brand new car and my first Subaru. To help protect it I recently purchased the side moulding to help ward against door dings and other uncool things that might smack my car :)

My brother and I are fairly mechanically inclined, and plan on installing the moulding ourselves. I was wondering if anyone here has any experience installing side moulding, and could offer any tips or tricks.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I did this install this last week and it came out perfect. Not difficult at all.

I would recommend two people to do the job. Makes it a bit easier with the template. Though one person can do this install.

We used some painters tape to keep things level. Used it on the recommended cut out holes on the templates as well as on the sides.

Just use the template and fallow the instructions. Other than that just be sure your level and happy with the gap between moldings before you pull the tape.

It took us about 30 min total. About 20min on one side and 10min on the other.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I did mine, suggest to find the widest point in the door towards the front door. Now go to back door rear find the widest point their. With those two marks stretch out some tape, painters or brown tape about .5 inch higher that your mark. Clean area below the tape and apply molding.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I forgot to mention I also purchased a 3" rubber roller from Home Depot to help press the molding into place.
Pressing evenly with your hands should work but I needed the tool for installing Dynamat anyways.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I forgot to mention I also purchased a 3" rubber roller from Home Depot to help press the molding into place.
Pressing evenly with your hands should work but I needed the tool for installing Dynamat anyways.
You could use on the cheap, a kitchen dough rolling pin, cloth rag, or towel to slide and apply pressure evenly.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I did mine by measuring up from the bottom of the doors. Wished I had watched that video...liked how she pulled that tape out. I just used a rag to slide across it. Once down it ain't going nowhere!
http://www.carid.com/images/dawn/moldings/pdf/fe-crosstrek-installation-instructions.pdf

It would have been nice to have another hand but I think I did a pretty good job by myself.:)
You know after you do it a couple of times. Their's always something about doing it a little better next time. In that picture of your car with the side molding. It looks great and you probably did allot better job than the nose picker at the dealership would have done! I just don't understand why they put the door side molding down so low?

·
Registered
639 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
how far from the door surface do they stick out? could you take a close up pic please, if you wouldn't mind?

·
Registered
108 Posts
how far from the door surface do they stick out? could you take a close up pic please, if you wouldn't mind?
I'm away at work and can't get to my car until Tuesday. I am guessing that they stick out between a 1/8 & 1/4". Here's a couple pics I found.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hopefully this helps some. These were installed when I bought the car. I'm at work as well so I can't measure the distance.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I ordered my body side moldings from the dealer and opted to put them on myself. They came with paper door templates to align them to factory spec. Granted, I am sure I paid more than you folks, but them templates sure do take 99% of the headache out of it, heh.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I just ordered some paint matched ones off Amazon.com.
thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Awesome!!! Thanks to everyone who responded, its a big help. My brother and I are about to give this a go. We are installing the molding and a hood protector this afternoon.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I got the OEMs for my Crosstrek and my Forester. The template which is included in the OEM kit makes placement easy, just take your time. I know I paid a bunch more for the OEMs, but after seeing some non OEM BSMs in this thread, the OEMs were worth every extra dime.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Another tip that will be obvious to some but not so obvious to others. Pay attention to the shapes of the ends of the oem moldings. It would not be that difficult to install them upside down.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts