Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Limited CVT
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Side cargo nets were an accessory in 2013-2017 Crosstreks but not since. I don't see any reason why they can't be installed on a 2019 as there are already three anchor points from the factory. The previous generation had a mushroom that had to be mounted for the fourth anchor point. The mushroom anchor was mounted by drilling a hole in an untextured "dimple" in the plastic side panel. It looks to me like everything is the same in the 2019 Crosstreks except there is no untextured dimple in the plastic panel.

My question is...is there something behind the dimple in the 2013-2017's that the anchor threads into (like a nut), or does the anchor simply thread into the plastic hole that one drills? If the mushroom anchor simply threads into the plastic I don't see any reason why I can't install the OEM cargo nets (Subaru #F551SFJ200) on my 2019 Crosstrek.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Put first gen side nets into a 2nd gen this past month and they fit perfectly. There is nothing behind the plastic except insulation so be careful not to punch to far past the plastic. You drill a hole (1/2” if memory serves) and insert the mushroom clip. Then when you tighten the mushroom clip it expands, locking itself in the hole. Big bonus is that the 2nd gen also has the dimples that you mentioned. You have to look very closely but they are there!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Big bonus is that the 2nd gen also has the dimples that you mentioned. You have to look very closely but they are there!
I had already looked twice for the dimples and didn't see them. Your reply encouraged me to look again today and I did find them. Thanks Dan!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is nothing behind the plastic except insulation so be careful not to punch to far past the plastic.
I drilled out the dimples and installed the cargo nets today on our 2019. I got a little insulation wrapped around the drill bit which easily came loose.
What's the purpose of the insulation? Sound deadening?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I drilled out the dimples and installed the cargo nets today on our 2019. I got a little insulation wrapped around the drill bit which easily came loose.
What's the purpose of the insulation? Sound deadening?
Same thing happened to me. I think a mixture of sound and temp insulation. I suppose the main benefit would be to cut down on potential sound resonance in cavities between interior and exterior body panels.

Anyone got a photo?
Didn't get one of the insulation but I can take a picture of nets installed if that is what you're looking for? Came out really nice and divides the back cargo area well.

·
Registered
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
228 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I think a mixture of sound and temp insulation. I suppose the main benefit would be to cut down on potential sound resonance in cavities between interior and exterior body panels.

Didn't get one of the insulation but I can take a picture of nets installed if that is what you're looking for? Came out really nice and divides the back cargo area well.
That would be great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts