Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

Which 2023 Trim should I buy?

• Premium 6MT 2.0L

• Sport CVT 2.5L

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

· Registered
21' Premuim manual Ice Silver Metallic
135 Posts
I wish people understood that there is no "better choice" with gearboxes. One might say the automatics nowadays are objectively better using numbers and data than manuals. And they'd be right, the numbers support that, but is it better for a given person? that's for them to decide, it's their money.

· Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Why? Whoops, the sweep hand on my mechanical analog watch is dragging me into the future. Look out, 2000. Here I come!Doug
lol...I'm with ya'

What I don't get about the Subaru CVT's is the fake shift points. Wouldn't that make the car less efficient? And besides, isn't the idea of a CVT not only about efficiency, but the smoothness of not feeling shifts?
Yea..truly ignorant. (I agree)

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
UPDATE

Thanks to everyone who voted and responded with their opinions.

I originally put a deposit down on a 2023 Sport opt 22 and it arrived yesterday. I took it for a test drive and realized I really disliked the CVT fake shifting and also the Sport trim just felt like a space ship with a cluttered steering wheel. I highly disliked the EyeSight and lane assist. So I refunded my deposit and walked away.

Found another local dealer that has a 2023 Premium 6MT coming in at the end of February and put my deposit down on that one. Super hyped for it and happy I made the decision I did. The less tech the better in my opinion. Will also save me $6K off MSRP.

· Registered
2023 Sport 6 Speed Crystal White Pearl
294 Posts
Found another local dealer that has a 2023 Premium 6MT coming in at the end of February and put my deposit down on that one. Super hyped for it and happy I made the decision I did. The less tech the better in my opinion. Will also save me $6K off MSRP.
Wow! You sure lucked out there!!
Good for you NOT buying something 'just because' and going after what you want!!
I hope you're happy with your new Premium 6MT. Be sure to let us know.

:)

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Wow! You sure lucked out there!!
Thanks, will do. And I sure did! When I called I asked if they had any 6MTs coming in and the sales woman was skeptical. She asked what I was looking for. Told her I wanted a Cool Grey Khaki Premium 6MT but id take whatever they were getting. Got a call back the next day and she said they had 2 allocations for next month. One 2023 Premium 6MT in CGK and another in Red. She said she couldn't believe my luck haha. Neither could I.

· Three-pedal evangelist
2020 Premium 6MT
1,824 Posts
Thanks, will do. And I sure did! When I called I asked if they had any 6MTs coming in and the sales woman was skeptical. She asked what I was looking for. Told her I wanted a Cool Grey Khaki Premium 6MT but id take whatever they were getting. Got a call back the next day and she said they had 2 allocations for next month. One 2023 Premium 6MT in CGK and another in Red. She said she couldn't believe my luck haha. Neither could I.
Wow. Glad they were willing to refund your deposit at the first dealer. I guess in this market they figure they will sell it pretty quickly. It used to be deposits were non-refundable if you didn't take delivery.

Reactions: CanadaCraig

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Wow. Glad they were willing to refund your deposit at the first dealer. I guess in this market they figure they will sell it pretty quickly. It used to be deposits were non-refundable if you didn't take delivery.
Yeah, all the dealers in my area offer a refund on deposits. The only cars they have trouble moving are WRX's and Wilderness trims. Seems like those sit for at least a month or until Subaru employees buy them lol.

· Registered
230 Posts
Precisely this.

What I don't get about the Subaru CVT's is the fake shift points. Wouldn't that make the car less efficient? And besides, isn't the idea of a CVT not only about efficiency, but the smoothness of not feeling shifts?
It was done because close minded ignorant Reviewers complained about the way the original CVTs sounded when they stayed at a constant RPM while the car accelerated. My wifes 2015 Forester CVT was the best one, no shift points made it the smoothest and fastest.

· Registered
230 Posts
While I strongly feel that the 2.5/CVT is the best option for a daily driver Crosstrek (I have a 23 Sport), I just placed an order for a 2023 WRX with a 6 speed Manual. To be fair the WRX is a weekend car that will see less than 3000 miles a year. I wanted my Toy/Fun car to have a manual tans and none of that annoying "Eyesight " stuff along with a handbrake.

81 - 89 of 89 Posts