Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

Which 2023 Trim should I buy?

• Premium 6MT 2.0L

• Sport CVT 2.5L

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

· Registered
2019 Crosstrek Premium 6 speed
75 Posts
I haven't experienced the rev hang on my 2019 MT. I've run it to redline a few times in it's life, especially on every switchback climbing the mountain to our house.

· Premium Member
2,038 Posts
II put 57,000 miles on my '18 6MT Premium and currently have a '23 6MT Premium. Unless you are sitting in rush hour traffic all the time, go with the stick. So much more fun to drive. And to the naysayers, I'm getting 31.5 mpg highway, even with the A/T tires.

My '18 was flawless and tackled (practically) every surface I threw at it.
I live in Norwalk South, CT [principle residence]. I know these guys and bought 2 Subarus from THAT Danbury, CT dealership. Nice video. Loads to do in that corner of the US, but here in Syracuse, NY - Just Do It.

Sky Plant Road surface Branch Natural landscape

· Registered
483 Posts
One of the many reasons it's good to be a Canadian...
View attachment 314732

The 2023 Subaru Crosstrek Sport that I am getting TODAY comes with the following...

• 6 Speed Manual Transmission
  • LED Headlights that turn with steering wheel
  • Power Moonroof
  • 8" infotainment system
  • Dual USB ports
  • Visor Vanity mirror lamps
  • Orange trim stitching
  • Aluminum pedals
  • 6 way power drivers seat
  • Heated Leather wrapped Steering Wheel
  • Subaru Rear/Side Vehicle Detection System (SRVD): Blind Spot Detection [BSD], Lane Change Assist [LCA] and Rear Cross Traffic Alert. [RCTA] It think BSD and LCA are the same thing! And RCTA only beeps it doesn't stop the car like it would on cars with EyeSight.

Plus a few other things like an engine and windows.

:cool:
Does Canada spec Sport have the 2.5?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

· Registered
2023 Sport 6 Speed Crystal White Pearl
294 Posts
Does Canada spec Sport have the 2.5?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
No. It comes with the 2.0. Would be nice if it did have the 2.5.
That said... I'm enjoying my car even with the 2.0.
And I think the power is fine. And I say that as someone who owns a car with 425 hp.
It's a different car. And like all cars you work with what you've got.

· Registered
21' Premuim manual Ice Silver Metallic
135 Posts
I honestly can't say I've ever noticed any rev hang in the Crosstrek. Mine is a 2020. What year is yours?
I will say that the rev-hang is Certainly there, but I also wouldn't say it is intrusive. maybe that's just a product of where I live having relatively relaxed traffic flow (Northern Idaho) or the fact that I naturally drive like a grandma, But I don't mind the way my car drives at all. And I switch back and fourth between this car and a 24-year old Chevy S-10 which comes from the era before rev-hang.

· Registered
2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT
145 Posts
Just picked up our new ‘23 with the 6MT on Thursday. I’d been reading about the rev-hang issue since we ordered the car, so went into it with strategies to deal with it (shift slower, let off gas well before the clutch )

Anyway, yeah it was tough to get a smooth 1-2 shift. My wife laughed at me and asked if I’d ever driven a manual before. :ROFLMAO:

Then she got in the driver’s seat and nailed it on the second try! I guess it’s best not to overthink it.

Day three for me now and I’ve gotten to where each shift is smooth as butter. Just have to listen to the car and do what it wants, not try to force Fast and Furious shifts on it.

So, yeah, rev hang is definitely there, but far from a dealbreaker IMO.

· Registered
2023 Sport 6 Speed Crystal White Pearl
294 Posts
Just picked up our new ‘23 with the 6MT on Thursday..............
Congratulations on getting your car! :banana:

Today is my one week anniversary! lol
It is indeed difficult to get the 1-2 shift just right. [at first anyway] But it seems as though it's OK if I just wait a second before letting out the clutch. It's a car you get up to speed rather leisurely in. At least until your IN 2nd gear. That said... it's going to be slow going for awhile anyway because the redline for me is 4,000 rpm. I'm going to be a good boy and break in the engine as per the owner's manual.

Happy Subing! lol

:cool:

· Premium Member
1,278 Posts
You bought a much slower c ar. CVT will 100% be quicker against a manual with the same engine. So a 2.O with manual is the worst of both worlds. 55 years of manuals-I'm done with them

Hut congrats on the new XV

· Registered
2018 Premium MT
159 Posts
You bought a much slower c ar. CVT will 100% be quicker against a manual with the same engine. So a 2.O with manual is the worst of both worlds. 55 years of manuals-I'm done with them

Hut congrats on the new XV
Congratulations on reaching age 71. I’m right there with you. Thinking back over the many vehicles that I’ve owned since 1967, more than half were manuals. I’m still enjoying them though, even my 100% slower car. Don’t let facts get in the way of expressing your opinions.

Doug

· Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Congratulations on reaching age 71. I’m right there with you. Thinking back over the many vehicles that I’ve owned since 1967, more than half were manuals. I’m still enjoying them though, even my 100% slower car. Don’t let facts get in the way of expressing your opinions.

Doug
Well I'm old enough that when you put the pedal to the floor and leave it there it shifts between 4800 and 6000. through 6 speeds. Try doing that with a manual. and then while you are at it remove 35 HP. I owned a 69 Camaro 5 liter 4 speed with a 4.11. rear. My '18 Forester 2.0 turbo would blow the doors off of it-fact. They both had/Have 250+ HP

"This might sting a little, especially for the hardcore stick shift enthusiasts among us. Consumer demand will probably keep manuals alive, to some extent, at least for the foreseeable future, but the writing is already on the wall. Still have a hard time believing that an automatic or CVT is faster than your beloved manual gearbox? Consider this: If a manual transmission was really the fastest option available, why would some high-end manufacturers drop the manual entirely? Surely, Ferrari (as just one example) wants its cars to be as fast as possible, and if a complicated version of an automatic transmission is what gets it done, then that's what it's going to be."
Are manual transmissions really faster than automatics? | HowStuffWorks

Ya' got to pull yourself out of the 1900's

· Three-pedal evangelist
2020 Premium 6MT
1,824 Posts
If a manual transmission was really the fastest option available, why would some high-end manufacturers drop the manual entirely?
Umm.....because few people know how to drive manuals anymore. Options cost car makers money. Eliminating an option few people buy anymore is a huge cost saver.

Reactions: Lonelydriver_95

· Registered
2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT
145 Posts
I’ve never understood the stop light Grand Prix. Even when I’m driving a powerful car, I’m always getting left in the dust by minivans and pickups.

Nobody told me it was a race, so I don’t mind losing a couple tenths of a second in the sprint to sixty.

For me, it’s about the enjoyment in getting there, and for that, I’ll take the manual.

· Registered
45 Posts
... For me, it’s about the enjoyment in getting there, and for that, I’ll take the manual. ...
Precisely. I get that bench racing has always been a thing, but I truly don't understand the bickering over CVT vs MT from the perspective of which is "better". I like and prefer manuals in most cases, but I will freely admit that by most metrics the CVT is objectively a better choice when it comes to the Crosstrek, at least on paper. Longevity and ease/cost of maintenance are likely still debatable, but technology is only going to improve, and CVTs will only get better.

The thing is, better objectively on paper does not always translate to real-world. On top of that, my daily is not a 1/4 mile drag car. Even if I did race my daily, the objectively "better" CVT would still be a non-starter because ALL CROSSTREKS ARE SLOW by today's standards, regardless which engine/transmission combo they have. Objective straight-line performance is completely irrelevant in most real-world circumstances.

The bottom line is, like most who choose the MT2.0, I prefer driving a manual. Even if it is objectively slower in a straight line; it's subjectively more enjoyable, for me. The mechanical engagement of working the clutch and running through the gears brings a little bit of joy to my otherwise mind-numbing daily commute.

I love the fact that it's not saddled with garbage like EyeSight and auto start/stop, as well.

If someone views their car as an appliance, and just wants to disengage as much as possible between points A-B, that's why the automatic transmission (CVT is a type of auto) was invented. They're wired differently, or maybe they're an old gearhead who's at a stage in their life where they are unable or unwilling to row their own so it's no longer enjoyable; I 100% get that, I may be there some day, too.

None of this means Manuals are unsafe, or the people who prefer them are Luddites. We just have different preferences.

· Three-pedal evangelist
2020 Premium 6MT
1,824 Posts
Precisely. I get that bench racing has always been a thing, but I truly don't understand the bickering over CVT vs MT from the perspective of which is "better". I like and prefer manuals in most cases, but I will freely admit that by most metrics the CVT is objectively a better choice when it comes to the Crosstrek, at least on paper. Longevity and ease/cost of maintenance are likely still debatable, but technology is only going to improve, and CVTs will only get better.

The thing is, better objectively on paper does not always translate to real-world. On top of that, my daily is not a 1/4 mile drag car. Even if I did race my daily, the objectively "better" CVT would still be a non-starter because ALL CROSSTREKS ARE SLOW by today's standards, regardless which engine/transmission combo they have. Objective straight-line performance is completely irrelevant in most real-world circumstances.

The bottom line is, like most who choose the MT2.0, I prefer driving a manual. Even if it is objectively slower in a straight line; it's subjectively more enjoyable, for me. The mechanical engagement of working the clutch and running through the gears brings a little bit of joy to my otherwise mind-numbing daily commute.

I love the fact that it's not saddled with garbage like EyeSight and auto start/stop, as well.

If someone views their car as an appliance, and just wants to disengage as much as possible between points A-B, that's why the automatic transmission (CVT is a type of auto) was invented. They're wired differently, or maybe they're an old gearhead who's at a stage in their life where they are unable or unwilling to row their own so it's no longer enjoyable; I 100% get that, I may be there some day, too.

None of this means Manuals are unsafe, or the people who prefer them are Luddites. We just have different preferences.
Precisely this.

What I don't get about the Subaru CVT's is the fake shift points. Wouldn't that make the car less efficient? And besides, isn't the idea of a CVT not only about efficiency, but the smoothness of not feeling shifts?

Reactions: serotta

· Registered
2019 Crosstrek Premium 6 speed
75 Posts
My entire driving life I've had both manual and automatic cars, dating back to the two-speed powerglide in a 58 chevy and the 4-speed manual in a 61 VW Bug.
Every one gave me some enjoyment, but then again regardless of how many I've rebuilt, modified, or just drove stock, they all gave me a certain pleasure.
The common denominator is DRIVING.
We have three Crosstreks in the family, two are CVT and one is the 6-speed manual. We enjoy them all, but if I'm looking for acceleration, the Crosstreks are the LAST vehicles in the driveway I chose., manual or CVT.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts