Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

Which 2023 Trim should I buy?

• Premium 6MT 2.0L

• Sport CVT 2.5L

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

· Premium Member
2,038 Posts
...Something else to consider and again this is going to be a personal choice.
Agree, all our vehicles up until 2015 were manuals, all of them. Love the CVT on my trade in 2015 and recently purchased a 2021 but we are a family of 4, and there is nothing like COMPLETE CONTROL. Less expensive sheit to fix and, well, hold my beer. Socket wrench - hand open.

· Three-pedal evangelist
2020 Premium 6MT
1,824 Posts
OK, first off, let me just start with my disclaimer that I am known here as the Three-pedal evangelist.

With that out of the way, there are advantages and disadvantages to both the Premium 6MT and the Sport CVT. It all depends on your personality and the kind of driving you do most.

Premium 6MT:

More fun to drive.
Simplicity - doesn't have too many unnecessary bells and whistles like Eyesight and oversized touch screen. Keep in mind that simplicity is a friend of reliability. Some posters here have had some issues with their CVT's. Manual transmissions never need anything except possibly a new clutch at well over 100K miles - longer or shorter depending on your driving habits.
Adequate, but unexciting acceleration.
Lower out the door price.

Sport CVT:

Better gas mileage (33 vs. 29 Hwy).
More bells and whistles if you are into that. With that, more that CAN go wrong and higher repair costs.
If you do a lot of stop and go city driving, probably a better choice than an MT.
2.5 engine has better acceleration than the 2.0.
Higher out the door price.

· Registered
2021 Ice SIlver Sport
1,589 Posts
Another consideration, the 6MT cannot be had with the higher trim levels or with a moonroof. Stupid....

The car I had previous was a manual and I actually have another vehicle on order going on 2 years now (not looking good) so definitely not against them.

· Registered
2023 Sport 6 Speed Crystal White Pearl
294 Posts
Another consideration, the 6MT cannot be had with the higher trim levels or with a moonroof. Stupid....
One of the many reasons it's good to be a Canadian...
Plant Red Tree Symmetry Creative arts

The 2023 Subaru Crosstrek Sport that I am getting TODAY comes with the following...

• 6 Speed Manual Transmission
  • LED Headlights that turn with steering wheel
  • Power Moonroof
  • 8" infotainment system
  • Dual USB ports
  • Visor Vanity mirror lamps
  • Orange trim stitching
  • Aluminum pedals
  • 6 way power drivers seat
  • Heated Leather wrapped Steering Wheel
  • Subaru Rear/Side Vehicle Detection System (SRVD): Blind Spot Detection [BSD], Lane Change Assist [LCA] and Rear Cross Traffic Alert. [RCTA] It think BSD and LCA are the same thing! And RCTA only beeps it doesn't stop the car like it would on cars with EyeSight.

Plus a few other things like an engine and windows.

:cool:

· Three-pedal evangelist
2020 Premium 6MT
1,824 Posts
One of the many reasons it's good to be a Canadian...
View attachment 314732

The 2023 Subaru Crosstrek Sport that I am getting TODAY comes with the following...

• 6 Speed Manual Transmission
  • LED Headlights that turn with steering wheel
  • Power Moonroof
  • 8" infotainment system
  • Dual USB ports
  • Visor Vanity mirror lamps
  • Orange trim stitching
  • Aluminum pedals
  • 6 way power drivers seat
  • Subaru Rear/Side Vehicle Detection System (SRVD): Blind Spot Detection [BSD], Lane Change Assist [LCA] and Rear Cross Traffic Alert. [RCTA] It think BSD and LCA are the same thing! And RCTA only beeps it doesn't stop the car like it would on cars with EyeSight.

Plus a few other things like an engine and windows.

:cool:
Last time I checked, my Premium 6MT has an engine and windows. ;)

The only thing on that list I wish I had are the LED Headlights that turn with steering wheel. My Premium 6MT has dual USB ports, orange trim stitching and the visor vanity mirror lights just like your Sport. The rest I can do without. And I am glad I don't have the oversized 8" screen. My 6.5" screen is big enough, thank you.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not arguing about whether it's better to be Canadian. I'm heading up there next week to chase the snow for some skiing! (y)

Reactions: CanadaCraig

· Registered
2022 Canadian Sport trim (6MT // 2.0 )
1,189 Posts
@CanadaCraig , you beat me to it. For ONCE we actually have something positive up North when it comes to the automotive market... :lol:

@MA Subie nailed it when it comes to objective pros and cons. The rest is personal, like the colour - we do chose our cars based on preferences as well as rational arguments (though subconsciously we all tend to rationalize our irrational urges too). At the end everyone should pick what they want, regardless of what others say, and just enjoy both the car and the community here.

· Three-pedal evangelist
2020 Premium 6MT
1,824 Posts
I updated the list to include a leather wrapped and heated steering wheel.
What's my bid?!
Hmmm. Now a heated steering wheel would be nice.

And for the life of me, couldn't Subaru think of a better place to put those USB ports? They are underneath the climate controls where you have to feel around for them because there is no way you can see them.

Reactions: CanadaCraig

· Registered
230 Posts
Really wish you had facts to back up your claim but real world MPG the 2.0MT beats both other variations.

Quick search and you wouldn't be targeted like this.
I'm not sure what you found on the Internet, but I have owned a 2018 Impreza Premium CVT /2.0, a 17 Forester with a 2.5 CVT, a 21 Forester with the 2.5 CVT, and now a 23 Crosstrek Sport 2.5. I've been manually calculating my mileage since 1996 in over 17 different cars/Trucks. My favorite car was the Impreza by far, but it got worse mileage because you had to be more aggressive with the throttle and revs to keep up with Chicago traffic. I only dumped the Impreza because it's no fun flooring a car and redlining the engine on a regular basis. My 350Z with a manual gets over the EPA estimates but that's only because I know how to hypermile and that car has plenty of power even at only 2,000 rpm. I plan on adding a 2024 Impreza RS 2.5 to the fleet as soon as they become available, if my 2018 had the 2.5 I would've never dumped it. If the 2.0 is good enough for you that's fine, but after owning one it's not an option. If the 2.5 was available with a Manual I might've got that TBH. Yes, I drove both versions many times.

· Registered
2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT
145 Posts
Get rid of the moon roof, and I'd be interested. Sounds like a great build. Enjoy.

Doug
I'll be picking up my Canadian Sport 6MT next week as well. Love that we get this trim level up here, but I'd love it even more without the stupid moon roof.

Oh, well, not a deal breaker for me, but I'd have given my first born to swap out that moon roof for a memory function on the driver's seat. Why the hell would Subaru build a power seat and not give it a memory function?

· Registered
20 Posts
II put 57,000 miles on my '18 6MT Premium and currently have a '23 6MT Premium. Unless you are sitting in rush hour traffic all the time, go with the stick. So much more fun to drive. And to the naysayers, I'm getting 31.5 mpg highway, even with the A/T tires.

My '18 was flawless and tackled (practically) every surface I threw at it.

· Three-pedal evangelist
2020 Premium 6MT
1,824 Posts
II put 57,000 miles on my '18 6MT Premium and currently have a '23 6MT Premium. Unless you are sitting in rush hour traffic all the time, go with the stick. So much more fun to drive. And to the naysayers, I'm getting 31.5 mpg highway, even with the A/T tires.
I have found my highway mileage can vary depending on whether my trip is mostly flat or has hills. I did a few trips that were mostly flat to rolling and was getting close to 31mpg. Trips up through VT on I-91 and I-89 have some hills that brought me down to 27-28mpg. Mind you this is all with nothing on the roof and snow tires.

· Registered
38 Posts
When I was car shopping late last year, the availability of AWD with a manual transmission in a reasonably priced car is what brought me to Subaru and the Crosstrek/Impreza. It's not difficult to make the case that the CVT is objectively better in terms of power, mileage, etc... but the bottom line for me is that I find manuals more enjoyable in almost all conditions, and I say that as someone who has commuted in both SoCal and Northern Virginia (DC metro) with manuals.

That said for context, I'm of the opinion that if someone isn't sure they want a manual, they should probably get the 2.5/CVT. "If you have to ask..." comes off as patronizing and elitest in most circumstances, but in this case I think it applies, since the strongest argument in favor of the manual boils down to subjective preference.

One minor point to throw out with regard to the "Mo' Powah!" argument that always gets brought up in favor of the 2.5. Yes, on paper the peak HP and Torque figures are higher by a large enough margin to be of significance. However, in day to day use we have to ask: where is that power made? and how is the car being driven? I haven't looked at dyno charts for the 2.0/MT vs 2.5 'trek, so this speculation is made somewhat out of ignorance, but it's entirely possible that a manual driver who uses the entire rev range is using a similar, or potentially greater, amount of the available power vs. a driver with the 2.5 who just putts along. Terrain also makes a difference, since more available power is used in the mountains vs. Nebraska flatland, or in urban areas where you need to merge with high-speed traffic more frequently.

TL;DR, I prefer the Manual and haven't found it lacking for power, although I would happily take more. However, if you're hesitant to use the entire tach' you, would likely disagree and might be better off with the 2.5 despite being hobbled by the soulless CVT.
I drove bought of them CVT anyway, 0-40 are the same, but 40-60 if huge difference.

· Registered
14 Posts
See dont leason to any one tell you to buy 2.0L MT over 2.5 CVT. in every day driving with 2.0L you will feel how noisy engine and slow especially when you go uphill or with passengers it's take time to achieve 60mph unlike 2.5L it's provide better acceleration and low engine noise with better mpg in tow and highway.

Just pick 2.5L and you will happy with it

· Registered
14 Posts
I'm not sure what you found on the Internet, but I have owned a 2018 Impreza Premium CVT /2.0, a 17 Forester with a 2.5 CVT, a 21 Forester with the 2.5 CVT, and now a 23 Crosstrek Sport 2.5. I've been manually calculating my mileage since 1996 in over 17 different cars/Trucks. My favorite car was the Impreza by far, but it got worse mileage because you had to be more aggressive with the throttle and revs to keep up with Chicago traffic. I only dumped the Impreza because it's no fun flooring a car and redlining the engine on a regular basis. My 350Z with a manual gets over the EPA estimates but that's only because I know how to hypermile and that car has plenty of power even at only 2,000 rpm. I plan on adding a 2024 Impreza RS 2.5 to the fleet as soon as they become available, if my 2018 had the 2.5 I would've never dumped it. If the 2.0 is good enough for you that's fine, but after owning one it's not an option. If the 2.5 was available with a Manual I might've got that TBH. Yes, I drove both versions many times.
I agree with you the 2.0L feels bad after 3 years especially if you drive under traffic

· Three-pedal evangelist
2020 Premium 6MT
1,824 Posts
Driving a manual is nice but i don't think it's all that great with the crosstrek. The notchy 6spd shifter, the rev hang etc. My 5spd Impreza was much more enjoyable to shift and drive everyday.
I think the subject of rev hang on the Crosstrek is way overblown. I once drove a Toyota FJ Cruiser 6MT. That vehicle had some really bad rev hang.

I will admit the shifter is a little noisier than I really like, but not terrible.

Reactions: Lonelydriver_95

· Registered
70 Posts
I think the subject of rev hang on the Crosstrek is way overblown. I once drove a Toyota FJ Cruiser 6MT. That vehicle had some really bad rev hang.

I will admit the shifter is a little noisier than I really like, but not terrible.
I don't think it's overblown. The 1-2 shift is horrendous and living in southern NY I almost get rear ended by some moron every time i'm advancing from a red light. I have to shift at 3,500 Rpm's to eliminate the rev hang which is annoying.

· Three-pedal evangelist
2020 Premium 6MT
1,824 Posts
I don't think it's overblown. The 1-2 shift is horrendous and living in southern NY I almost get rear ended by some moron every time i'm advancing from a red light. I have to shift at 3,500 Rpm's to eliminate the rev hang which is annoying.
I honestly can't say I've ever noticed any rev hang in the Crosstrek. Mine is a 2020. What year is yours?

41 - 60 of 89 Posts