Which 2023 Trim should I buy?

• Premium 6MT 2.0L

• Sport CVT 2.5L

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I have the opportunity to purchase either a 2023 Premium with 6MT 2.0 or a Sport with CVT 2.5.

I've already test driven a 2019 6MT and a 2020 Sport. I definitely felt the extra pep in the Sport and liked it but I am coming from a 2.5 6MT Outback and feel like I may regret not going with another manual trans, especially since this is the last year model they are offering it.

I know it really comes down to preference and so far I prefer the sport but I just don't know if I will like the CVT.

What do you guys think?

· Registered
2021 Ice SIlver Sport
1,595 Posts
It is a personal preference. Only you can decide. A Sport with the manual would be the ticket but unfortunately it's not available and never will be.

Did you like the Sport test drive? I personally find the newer versions of the CVT that have the fake shifting to be jerky and rather annoying. Definitely more power though.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a personal preference. Only you can decide. A Sport with the manual would be the ticket but unfortunately it's not available and never will be.

Did you like the Sport test drive? I personally find the newer versions of the CVT that have the fake shifting to be jerky and rather annoying. Definitely more power though.
I did enjoy it, but its pretty hard to make a decision based on a 15 minute test drive. I'm thinking I may need to find one to test drive again.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Feeling the extra pep in the 2.5 CVT vs the 2.0 Manual is like comparing the acceleration of a snail compared to a slug.

We own both (cars, not snails and slugs) and after you drive them awhile, the only time you actually notice the 2.5 power is going uphill.
That's a fair comparison :LOL: . Do you have a preference yourself? Also, it seems like the manuals have had far more reports of oil consumption in comparison to the CVT's. Have you experienced any in your 6MT?

· Registered
50 Posts
I started out looking for a 6MT but after driving both I opted for the Sport. The power wasn't enough to make me feel like I would enjoy the 6spd and I felt like the extra pep of the 2.5 was significant. Given it also got better mpg's, had X-Mode, and I preferred the Sport trim it became an easy choice. Plus the paddle shifters are more responsive than I expected and fun to use from time to time. I totally get the guys who choose the 6spd though.

· Registered
2019 Crosstrek Premium 6 speed
82 Posts
That's a fair comparison :LOL: . Do you have a preference yourself? Also, it seems like the manuals have had far more reports of oil consumption in comparison to the CVT's. Have you experienced any in your 6MT?
I truly don't have a favorite, but I also had a Z06 that supplied my manual "fix". That is gone now and the manual Crosstrek is the last manual left in the driveway.
We have been using the 2019 manual back and forth to a new house we are building. It's a two hour (+.-) commute from the mountains of NC were we are currently living to the new construction site. While I normally choose the manual, the 2.5 CVT's additional power has gotten my attention on the steeper climbs back up to our mountain home. (Mountain home is over 5100 feet and the new construction is around 800 feet. Most of the climbing and descending is done in about 20 or 30 miles, with 1400 feet in a 3.5 mile stretch.)

I expected to see some oil consumption with all the manual work and RPM changes up and down the mountains, but so far no extra oil usage. We have 39K on it at this point.

· Registered
21 Sport
2,556 Posts
Hey everyone!

I have the opportunity to purchase either a 2023 Premium with 6MT 2.0 or a Sport with CVT 2.5.

I've already test driven a 2019 6MT and a 2020 Sport. I definitely felt the extra pep in the Sport and liked it but I am coming from a 2.5 6MT Outback and feel like I may regret not going with another manual trans, especially since this is the last year model they are offering it.

I know it really comes down to preference and so far I prefer the sport but I just don't know if I will like the CVT.

What do you guys think?
the only problems i have with the 6MT are the the 2.0L and the 6MT. i own the sport

· Registered
2018 Premium MT
159 Posts
Since you asked, I have a 2018 6MT. I've had it for 25,000 miles (it now has 57,000) and have never found myself in a situation where the extra HP was needed. Part of that is being aware of the car's limitations and planning accordingly. I doubt that any driver that I've encountered would have noticed that my car's power was inadequate. I have even towed with it at interstate speeds and the in the Catskill mountains. As for oil consumption, I change the oil every 6000 miles and never have to add in between. I am one of those anal owners that checks oil level and tire pressures regularly. It will take a lot more than 30 HP to get me into a CVT. YMMV.

Doug

Honestly, though, I think you'll be happy with either one. Good luck.

· Registered
174 Posts
The 2.5L and be paired with the 6MT, but the cylinder heads have to be swapped at the moment for plug and play compatibility with the existing harness in the 2.0L. Eventually when more 2.5L engines end up in the junk yard I think we'll get more brains involved to avoid this process.

· Registered
24 Posts
One more vote for the Sport. I haven't driven the Subie MT, although we had an Impreza Outback Sport in the past. I have owned plenty of MTs of other brands also and love that I feel more part of the vehicle. However, IMHO the CVT behaves very well. I haven't messed with the paddle shifters yet -- haven't had the need or desire since the CVT has been performing admirably. Secondly, if you do any city driving I find having an MT becomes a pain in in stop and go traffic and...although I would never advocate it...it is more challenging to handle a drink or a burger with an MT while driving. Plus, there is no replacement for displacement, even if it is only 2.0L versus 2.5L

· Premium Member
2022 Cool Grey Khaki Crosstrek Limited
106 Posts
I would go with the Sport as the 2.5L really makes a difference and the Remote Start with the MySubaru app is great as your car is a comfortable temp when you get in :) (My favourite option on our 2022 Limited)

· Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
17,795 Posts
One more vote for the Sport. I haven't driven the Subie MT, although we had an Impreza Outback Sport in the past. I have owned plenty of MTs of other brands also and love that I feel more part of the vehicle. However, IMHO the CVT behaves very well. I haven't messed with the paddle shifters yet -- haven't had the need or desire since the CVT has been performing admirably. Secondly, if you do any city driving I find having an MT becomes a pain in in stop and go traffic and...although I would never advocate it...it is more challenging to handle a drink or a burger with an MT while driving. Plus, there is no replacement for displacement, even if it is only 2.0L versus 2.5L
Yep, my new to me car is a manual, which I thought would be fun after decades in automatics but it gets tiring in the traffic around here.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts