Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TLDR: Debating on keeping my 13' XV Crosstrek which is giving me problems and the dealership cant seem to figure it out. long post ahead-ya'll have been warned.

so in 2021, my crosstrek (bought at 60k miles) hit about like 85-90k miles. after every oil change, the oil light would come on-way before the date or mileage listed on the sticker. Eventually its brought to light that my VIN # is one of the cars that could have oil consumption issues. great. (note, i had to bring this up to the tech, and when i did was told 'well you know you can't just believe everything you read on the internet') i've taken it to that dealership religiously over the last 3 years. Dealership says that nope, consumption test shows its consuming a liiiiiitle more than normal, but not enough to fail. if it did fail, i'm out of warranty anyways, so nothing would be covered (but they could 'call' and see.) Techs report no oil leaks either. Okay, great! no issues! Woohoo!

Until December. on 12/3 I had my oil changed, it was due, and I was going on a roadtrip to Minneapolis in the next week, so i wanted to get this over and done with. got it changed, no biggie. We left on 12/16, driving back 12/19. its about a 5hr drive for reference. 12/19 comes and we're not 50 miles out of minneapolis when surprise, the oil light comes on again. Drive home gets made w/o issue. I took it to a different subaru dealership who tells me, 'did you know this could be an oil overconsumption problem/oil leak?' and I tell them that this was tested at the other dealership not even 6 months ago who said it wasn't the issue at all! But, sure let's test it just in case. Gave them permission to call the other dealership and everything just to make sure they have all the info, and i'm taking it in friday to find out for sure.

Within the past year i've also had to to have the following fixed:

Brakes
CV Joint
Axel on Passenger side (this surprised me, not even my 07' POS sorento had this problem, and i'm not hard on the car.)
Spark plugs
New solenoid + cleaning of all the "sludge" that was found (after i brought up how often i'm at the dealership for oil changes)
Oil consumption test 1
Oil consumption test 2 (currently in process)
Another "sludge" cleaning

And sure, while some of these are totally normal maintence (brakes, spark plugs) it feels like i'm in the dealership every 3 months or less! I do a lot of highway driving i do take care of the car. the minute something is due or a light comes on, it goes to the dealership, with regular car washes to make sure it doesn't rust. my local dealership offered me 9.5k contingent on the car not having oil consumption issues and at this point i'm debating just trading the damn thing in. I have no idea whats wrong with this car, and why the dealership(s) can't seem to figure it out, and i'm frustrated and wondering if any of it is a ploy to try to get me to pay for unneeded work (i'm a girl, and i don't know about the inner workings of cars. couldn't care less. as long as i know how to drive it and park it.)

What would you do? Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong with the car? Maybe it's just a lemon?

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
5,020 Posts
Hey, welcome to the forum!

As for the Crosstrek, the oil consumption question is something to sort out, but otherwise most of what you're talking about is just routine care for an 8-year-old car that's getting closer to 100,000 miles. I definitely wouldn't say you've got a lemon on your hands. I think any decisions should just boil down to whether you like the car in general, or not.

That said, trade-in values for Crosstreks are crazy high right now, so if you're itching to get a new vehicle that's definitely something to keep in mind. If you decide to go that route, get a couple of offers and don't just take the first number the dealer gives you.

Finally, it never hurts to ask around for recommendations on a good independent garage in your town that specializes in Subarus. For non-warranty work, I'd almost always go with an independent shop rather than a dealership.

·
Registered
198 Posts
If you spend all the money to replace half of the car, you might as well keeping it for a few years. I keep an eye on the oil level and add a few oz. here and there, it's not eh end of the world. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,196 Posts
If you can afford brand new I would consider it as an option. The good thing about buying new is you'll have a warranty in case anything goes wrong, you have the peace of mind that you are the first owner and will take good care of it.

I know you spent a bit of money fixing up the car so that is something you want to recover when trading in/selling but the way the used car market is going you could break even or come out on top. Shop around for the best deal and see who's paying the most. Carvana would be a good start since they've been paying above market value for some cars.

If you end up fixing your car call SOA and see if they'll honour the warranty and cover the cost to fix your vehicle see it might've been an affected vehicle.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I say find another Subaru dealership and then see if they have something in inventory that you want, if you are in the market for something new. Used cars are ridiculous right now. I would just check the oil at least weekly when cold for now, and top off as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
(soon) 2022 Crosstrek Limited. 2012 Ram 1500 4X4 V8.
67 Posts
I love my truck. Love.

But it's a 2012. Almost 230,000 kilometres (145,000 miles). And I'm the second owner. It wasn't rust protected and I live in a wet climate with long wet salty winters. What I'm trying to say is I wish the only issues I had were the ones you listed. But here I am.

I'm in a situation where my mechanic skills and tools aren't enough. Some of the repairs needed in the last year I couldn't do on my own. The manifolds machined. The rear pinion bearing replaced. I don't have the tools or the space to do that.

My truck is all my family has. We need something reliable and winter ready. The Crosstrek meets our strict demands (as far as we can tell). We did the math and a new car will be cheaper than the truck repair bills we've seen this year. Going forward if something happens to the truck then we can live without it while I try to fix it. My truck will be the "around the neighborhood" vehicle (no long highway trips etc).

So, what are your needs with the car? Is it all you have? Can you survive without it when it's in for repairs? Is there a lot of sentimental value? I'm just playing Devil's advocate here. Judging by the tone of your post I sense you're ready to move on. So do so! If your gut tells you that it's past it's prime, trade up and get a nice 2022 :)

Shop around for the best deal and see who's paying the most.
This is the best advice for that scenario. Call around your entire state/province. After a few calls you'll get a feel for what info Subaru dealers are looking for. Likely VIN, year, miles, and a few pics. Eventually you'll find a desperate dealer - and you'll make a lot of money on your trade in.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,545 Posts
If you reported an oil consumption problem in 2021, you may have still been under the 8 year / 100k mile settlement agreement at that time:
If so and your Crosstrek fails the upcoming oil consumption test, I would argue to the dealer and SOA that you initially reported the issue during the time limits of the settlement agreement and, therefore, Subaru should cover the repair.

·
Registered
371 Posts
TLDR: Debating on keeping my 13' XV Crosstrek which is giving me problems and the dealership cant seem to figure it out.
What would you do?
Are you wedded to this Crosstrek? Would it be a traumatic divorce?

I had a 2004 Forester 2.5 XS for a few years, bought used at 80,000 miles. Great vehicle, mostly. But as was the problem with those 2.5 liter engines in the day, around 135,000 miles, it started hemorrhaging oil from the driver's side head gasket. Had a rebuild of the engine done - FTR the shop did a good job. But as with older vehicles, the Forester started developing other little problems here and there. And it was time for tires, and battery, and brakes, and the tranny was getting cranky, and all that happy stuff that seniors need - thanks the gods there wasn't any CVJ boot issues, played that game before. So it was coming down to was I going to keep driving a FORD or a FIAT?

So I was poking about the Suby dealership website one day and saw my new Luv: the 2018 Crosstrek I have now. It was actually still on the truck. So I went on down and dealed up. Didn't get much trade for the Forester, but wasn't expecting much either. Came home in my new Crosstrek. And this was a bit special 'cause it was a bit like I came full circle in my Subaru Universe. My first Subaru was a 1979 GL Wagon, 5-speed with the dual range 4WD, red, plaid seats, roof rack. I ended up with the evolved wagon, red, AWD, roof rack, though the seats aren't plaid but do have that groovy orange stitch.

So, the question: you want to keep driving the FORDaru?

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek, 2.5 Liter, Pure Red, Limited - This is our 2nd Crosstrek!
249 Posts
For what it is worth, my vote is to trade it in!

My experience with SOA and my dealership has left me jaded. On my 2013, I actually caught my dealership overfilling the engine for the oil consumption test. Once that issue was rectified, my vehicle failed the test and a short block replacement was done.

SOA and the dealership will claim that your vehicles oil consumption is perfectly normal - but that is false!

Excessive Oil Consumption Isn't Normal - Consumer Reports

Once I stopped going to the dealership, I started getting better quality service from a trusted independent shop. Plus, they backed all of their work with a 3 year warranty. Just something to think about.

As mentioned by other members, trade-ins are at high levels. So despite the issues I had with my 2013, which I really liked, I traded it in for a 2021 with a 2.5 L engine. It's a nice vehicle and I really like it as well. I am betting that you will like the new 2022's that are coming out!

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I bought one of the first crosstreks made ('13). I have 120K on it. During the time I've had it I've replaced all 4 wheel bearings, all 4 struts, both front axles, brakes, all ball joints & tie rod ends, and most recently the torque converter lock up solenoid. I change the oil every 5k and have done the CVT juice @ 100k. We don't abuse it and it's garaged at night. I've brought it in for the recalls on the brake light switch & valve springs. When it was new I did the old WOT break in trick. It doesn't use much oil ( maybe 1/2 qt between changes) so maybe I did something right. It's nowhere near as good as my old 2000 impreza but that had 249K on it & the wife wanted a new car. With used car prices high I could unload it for a decent price but what to replace it with? New cars have so much electronic crap that they're impossible to work on which means that every time it's off to the dealer. I was charged $400 for diagnostics and re-programming the trans. I changed the solenoid myself for $80. They wanted $2100 for a new valve body. I have a '53 studebaker truck w/ a Ford 300-6. So simple & will last forever.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts