Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hey, sounds like it would be a nice upgrade for pretty much any Android user.
Nah, my Galaxy S10+ had been in a toilet twice now with absolutely no ill effects, and I even have RAM available.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Sport
1,697 Posts
The underlying principle of smart money is simple; sell when demand is high and buy when it's low. Eventually, when the auto supply meets demand, the market will have dramatic depreciation corrections.
doesn't work for most unless they start walking or ride a bike. if you live in california the car market isn't that different from the housing market except home appreciation hasn't been temporary

·
Registered
21 Sport
1,697 Posts
Just joking. It was an Iphone 6 and not waterproof. I did an internet thing and buried the phone in rice as someone suggested to see if that might dry it out more. The phone worked after that but poorly and I'll never know if I kept fiddling with it I might have been able to return it to service. I'm low on the food chain in the family. Working children get the best Iphones, lesser models to high school grand kids, then my wife, then I get what has, in the case of my Iphone 6 has been used by three family members. Oddly enough I ended up with a fancy Iphone 12 as it was my birthday and my kids thought it would further confuse their dad with features. Clearly the phone is smarter than I am.

What should I do with a slightly damaged Iphone 6?
i had an iphone 6 and the main reason i upgraded to the 8 was because it was waterproof. boy if you get a new iphone you're in for a treat with the camera

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
14,531 Posts
Hey, sounds like it would be a nice upgrade for pretty much any Android user. :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, we have this wobbly table and that iPhone might just do the trick, under the short leg...

·
Prefers black cats
14,531 Posts
yeah that's what i normally do, except for the last time when AT&T offered me $700 for my 11 pro max. like a fool i bit. sure i got the $700 but it's spread over 30 months which means if i upgrade at any point in the 30 months i lose the balance. i should have known better
I bought a Pixel 6 when it came out and hated the on screen fingerprint recognition (lots of articles criticizing it now, online). However, I waited too long to return it so I posted it on Craigslist and on eBay. Only got one nibble on Craigslist but the eBay price continued to rise, especially the last couple of days. There were five people bidding on it and I got close to what I paid for it.

·
Registered
21 Sport
1,697 Posts
I bought a Pixel 6 when it came out and hated the on screen fingerprint recognition (lots of articles criticizing it now, online). However, I waited too long to return it so I posted it on Craigslist and on eBay. Only got one nibble on Craigslist but the eBay price continued to rise, especially the last couple of days. There were five people bidding on it and I got close to what I paid for it.
when you look at what a premium phone one generation removed fetches on ebay you can make a strong case for upgrading every year, tho i'll wait two years if there are no "significant" upgrades

·
Prefers black cats
14,531 Posts
when you look at what a premium phone one generation removed fetches on ebay you can make a strong case for upgrading every year, tho i'll wait two years if there are no "significant" upgrades
I usually skip a couple of generations. I wanted the Pixel 6 primarily to get 5G but hated it. I now have a Pixel 5a which is the Pixel 5 with 5G. Not sure why they didn't call it the Pixel 5g? It's great.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Premium 2.0 CVT
62 Posts
Weird. So my local dealership had four when I bought mine in early December, no manuals all CVT.
Within 250 miles into new hamshire Vermont and Massachusetts I found another 167 Crosstreks. A few dealers in Ma had over 30 each in stock, on the lot not in transit! This was December 1st to 8th (picked up mine on the 8th).

im Surprised everyone is freaking out honestly… I’ve watched my dad particularly buy a new car nearly every year, and it’s always been a month or more wait for a new vehicle on order, from Toyota. I waited one month for my Corolla in 2016, and dad drove to Minnesota 24hrs round trip) at the end of thenew model year release for the 2018 (had been out for nine months) in order to get a silver one.

I nearly bought a 2019 Ford Ranger a few years ago and people in my town had them already - ford said three month wait for mine if I placed a order. None in the lots for hundred of miles that weren’t spoken for.
My point is this has been fairly common for years even pre Covid. I don’t see why everyone is complaining about a fairly regular wait period…

don’t forget - estimated wait times day up to three months-but if you report back honestly, most folks have been getting them in half the estimated time.

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
5,001 Posts
Definitely not questioning your experience, but man .... for 2021, that is super unusual. As an example, a friend of mine was car shopping for his son this week, and stopped at the local Subaru dealer, which would typically have several dozen new Subarus on the lot. The place had exactly one new car on the property -- a Legacy -- and all but one of the Crosstreks that were in transit to them had already been reserved, as well. I haven't checked every single dealer's inventory, but I'd guess that I might have to drive several hundred miles to find a new Crosstrek of any trim level available for sale on a dealer's lot.

I'm wondering if the greater inventory availability where you are is because the New England dealerships aren't part of Subaru of America's distribution network?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Definitely not questioning your experience, but man .... for 2021, that is super unusual. As an example, a friend of mine was car shopping for his son this week, and stopped at the local Subaru dealer, which would typically have several dozen new Subarus on the lot. The place had exactly one new car on the property -- a Legacy -- and all but one of the Crosstreks that were in transit to them had already been reserved, as well. I haven't checked every single dealer's inventory, but I'd guess that I might have to drive several hundred miles to find a new Crosstrek of any trim level available for sale on a dealer's lot.

I'm wondering if the greater inventory availability where you are is because the New England dealerships aren't part of Subaru of America's distribution network?
I’m not sure about affiliation with SOA, but I do know that here in New England we have the Boston port - I don’t have a clue if our nearness to the port helps get stock to dealerships faster or if it’s irrelevant but looking at dealerships on the east coast there’s no where near the shortage a lot of folks are talking about…

and of course I know my experience and my locale on the east coast is anecdotal, just my .02 👍🏻

cars.com is a great inventory checker for the lazy like myself - when I pull up 250 mile radius from my zip code for any trim Crosstrek and get over 800+ results, I know the world isn’t ending. Not here at least, haha.

my point was just that if you have a option set you want, it’s not uncommon even pre Covid to be waiting for a month or more…. If you’re willing to buy whatever is on the lot, you can Probably find a Crosstrek within a few hundred miles (although it may not be the exact one you wanted…?)

in all fairness - I wanted the very khaki color but I didn’t want to wait another three weeks which was the estimate, so I waited one week instead for the ice silver to be unloaded at the Boston port and delivered to my dealership.

·
Registered
62 Posts

I get there are definitely areas that have extreme shortages - and I don’t mean to disregard that reality…. I just can’t relate I suppose, because my whole life I’ve seen bouts of Chevy, Ford, Toyota, Kia, Nissan, Subaru, etc have shortages randomly - I supposed it was supply and demand were mismatched, and I think that may be the issue now as well as Covid. Who knows, I’m no expert!

·
Administrator
5,001 Posts
Like I said, in national terms the Crosstrek availability you have is extremely unusual right now -- overall, new Crosstreks are at the top of the list of hard-to-find vehicles nationally. That's why people are so easily able to sell used Crosstreks for more than then their original MSRP right now. The supply chain issues that are causing these industry shortages (not just for Subarus) are pretty much unprecedented in modern automotive history.

It's a standard assumption that Subaru of America manages the distribution of Subarus throughout the US, but that's not actually the case -- there are three smaller distributors who still have franchise agreements to control Subaru distribution in specific parts of the country. Subaru of New England has everything east of New York State. There's another distributor for New York and northern New Jersey, and one for Hawaii, and Subaru of America has everyplace else. So if there's less of a shortage in New England, I'm guessing the different distributor might have something to do with it.

·
Prefers black cats
14,531 Posts
I’m not sure about affiliation with SOA, but I do know that here in New England we have the Boston port - I don’t have a clue if our nearness to the port helps get stock to dealerships faster or if it’s irrelevant but looking at dealerships on the east coast there’s no where near the shortage a lot of folks are talking about…
We're right next to the ports of Los Angeles (Long Beach) and San Pedro, and near to San Diego which, combined, receive a quarter of all cars destined for the US market (maybe Canada, too, not sure). However, the situation here has been pretty dire for anyone looking for a new imported car, so it's not an issue of proximity to a port. As @Montanan wrote it probably has more to do with the distributors' agreements with Subaru and their allocations.

·
Administrator
5,001 Posts
Subaru uses around a half-dozen ports in the US, and probably a couple more in Canada. Cars headed for my part of the world, and all the northern-tier US states, go through a port in Vancouver, Washington. It would be interesting for a geek like me to see an overall map of how the whole distribution system works, but I've never seen anything written about it. Some of that info might even be proprietary ...

·
Administrator
5,001 Posts
This got me curious, so I spent a few minutes going town the internet rabbit hole to see which ports Subaru uses in the US. Not promising this is 100% accurate, but it looks like Subaru has port operations in Vancouver WA; Richmond CA; Port Hueneme CA; Savannah GA; and Baltimore MD. In addition, Subaru of New England has its own port operation in Rhode Island.

I'd never even heard of Port Hueneme before ... it's apparently up by Oxnard.

·
Prefers black cats
14,531 Posts
This got me curious, so I spent a few minutes going town the internet rabbit hole to see which ports Subaru uses in the US. Not promising this is 100% accurate, but it looks like Subaru has port operations in Vancouver WA; Richmond CA; Port Hueneme CA; Savannah GA; and Baltimore MD. In addition, Subaru of New England has its own port operation in Rhode Island.

I'd never even heard of Port Hueneme before ... it's apparently up by Oxnard.
Port Hueneme is cool. I even know how to pronounce it! One of the dads at my kid's school was an officer there and did tours.

I'm surprised there are no Subarus coming in via the Long Beach and San Pedro conglomeration. That's where we were seeing container ships stacked up off the coast.

·
Administrator
5,001 Posts
The article I found said that Subaru set up shop in Port Hueneme in 2018 ... maybe they underbid Long Beach, and swiped the contract from them?

Ports that handle inbound automobiles have some special needs -- land for vehicle staging, and a facility to add port-installed options to cars -- so a smaller port that's less congested might work better.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Very interesting info… I’m not sure why my window sticker and paperwork say port of entry as Boston MA if your list doesn’t even show Boston as a port of entry…. Hmmm

61 - 80 of 84 Posts