Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 81 yrs young. I have never named any of my cars or motorcycles. I did a search and I am still confused. What motivates you to name your Crosstrek and what perversion(lol)leads you to see this hunk of metal as male or female?

paul

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,144 Posts
I am 81 yrs young. I have never named any of my cars or motorcycles. I did a search and I am still confused. What motivates you to name your Crosstrek and what perversion(lol)leads you to see this hunk of metal as male or female?

paul
Too funny! Ships are all, supposedly, female. Probably because a male ship would go full steam to be the fastest across the North Atlantic, and then crash into an iceberg...

We're into rocketry and cats so ours is "Véronique" (see the sig line).

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Too funny! Ships are all, supposedly, female. Probably because a male ship would go full steam to be the fastest across the North Atlantic, and then crash into an iceberg...

We're into rocketry and cats so ours is "Véronique" (see the sig line).
My boat was named "Dream On" but was neither male nor female, just a boat, lol. In our garage is my partner's '19 'vette, her HD Deuce and my HD Triglide. All sexless and nameless. However maybe I can name my lawn tractor, something like PITA!:rolleyes:

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,144 Posts
We tend to affectionately name things we form a connection with shrug
LOL, all of our cats have names and yet they look at us as if to say, "What are you doing in my house?"

One of the best boat names I've seen recently was in Marina del Ray: Defense Rests

I've always had a Sci-Fi theme for the devices on our LAN. My main PC/laptop is HAL and OAK's is VIKI.

Reactions: SubieSubieDo

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Didn't someone on this Forum name their vacuum cleaner J. Edgar ??? I rather liked that.
Growing up I always remember the adults applying genders, pronouns and sometimes names to things. Ships, cars and aircraft always seemed to be referred to as 'she' as in "Isn't she a beauty?"
The one that always confused me as a child was when dogs were referred to as he (regardless of their own anatomy/pronoun) and cats as she. That used to irritate me no end as a child (can't you see it's a boy dog???)
My mother had an old Daimler she called Bertha. I think it was the only car she ever really loved.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Premium
22 Posts
I prefer silver cars (five of my last six have been and few others too). I always call the silver ones Silver Hornet, which is gender-less. It's from the Pink Panther movies, and for me goes back to my first silver car, an '81 Accord that was not too far off it's Citroen namesake in condition.
Anything not silver only gets named if it's especially good or bad and then the names are usually some kind of play on words based on their model or make name and rarely have a gender or is they do it's just coincidental 'cuz it sounds good not because I'm thinking of it as having a sex.

·
Registered
2020 Pearl White Crosstrek Sport with Eyesight, CVT
223 Posts
We have always named our cars. Always female names, Our current car is white. I had a white pet rooster when I was a kid, called it Lucy, short for Lucifer. Our first white Crosstrek was called Lucy and after an unfortunate demise, our second is now called Lucie, in keeping with our 2 official languages.

·
Has Butch tires
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,052 Posts
I invite the names from my grand kids. They never named my Corolla, but jumped at the chance to name the orange Subaru. Otherwise, as I am old as well (Never trust anyone under 90!), I also am prepared to listen to household objects for advice...I think I hear my cast iron frying pan calling out now...

·
Registered
93 Posts
I admit I did have an old blue Camaro called Blue Thunder, but that was just something that stuck because my friends kept calling it that. (I had a custom 2400 W sound system in it)

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
I allways thought silly calling a car by a name other than the "Subaru" or jthe the "Crosstrek". That's just me.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Premium
22 Posts
I allways thought silly calling a car by a name other than the "Subaru" or jthe the "Crosstrek". That's just me.
Indeed, but that is precisely why I do it. A little silliness is is OK, and as a bonus it makes my older son crazy since he thinks it's one of the dumbest things i do.

·
Registered
2014 Crosstrek XV Hybrid, Touring package
4 Posts

paul
I've always named my vehicles, I don't exactly know why I do it. I'm sure it's due to the bond that I form with my hunks of steel and plastic! I've mostly been fond of making puns out of the make or model names, as puns are my favorite form of comedy.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts