Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2019 Crosstrek has only 5500 km after 18 months - do I actually need to have it serviced? How often?

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,144 Posts
There are lots of posts here about this!

Our '18 hasn't been driven much during the pandemic. I did an oil test which led me to believe that the oil could have gone much, much longer...

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,378 Posts
Subaru recommends an engine oil change every 6 months, regardless of how little mileage. I would definitely change the factory engine oil after 18 months.

·
Registered
2020 premium on Meths
371 Posts
I’d do once a year for sure for no more than a oil change costs. even with synthetic oil over time you will still end up with a small amount of moisture in the crankcase especially in areas with large climate swings and/or vehicles driven on short trips where the engine doesn’t necessarily get up to full operating temp.

12 months is also the general consensus among AAA, Consumer Reports, etc.

I don’t recall off the top of my head if Canadian Treks use 5w or 0w (since nobody makes a 0w conventional) but if you where to run conventional I personally would be leery of going a full year but that’s just me.

·
Registered
2019 Crosstrek Limited
130 Posts
I don't drive my Subie much so mileage is not anywhere near their service recommendations. So I change the oil every 12 months. Easy to do and cost effective for my wallet.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Since the families MY18 gets lots of short trips, I do an oil service(LOF, air and cabin filters, rotate tires, check fluids.tire pressure) on the car annually. Each to their own. I left our Boxster for more than 12 months, but it was not been driven at all(pandemic, etc...).
regards

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limted
104 Posts
I only do about 6000 local miles since retirement 3 years ago. Almost all of them have been local short [less than 10 miles] trips on island roads, all under 45mph.
Probably out of long habit I am continuing to have a lube/oil/filter done every 3000 miles. It certainly can't hurt anything and my 2001 Jeep Cherokee is still going strong at 250000 with the same maintenance schedule. The expense is not enough to make me change the habit.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I only do about 6000 local miles since retirement 3 years ago. Almost all of them have been local short [less than 10 miles] trips on island roads, all under 45mph.
Probably out of long habit I am continuing to have a lube/oil/filter done every 3000 miles. It certainly can't hurt anything and my 2001 Jeep Cherokee is still going strong at 250000 with the same maintenance schedule. The expense is not enough to make me change the habit.
Excellent advice. I like a dummy followed the factory recommended 7,500 mile oil changes (yes that is what it was in '14) and paid for it. Sure the oil is synthetic but the rings have so low of tension on them to help with mpgs that if the lands get any kind of build up on them at all, they can stick. Then you get the burning oil issues. Far cheaper to do 3-4,000 mile changes. Same with the Lifetime CVT fluid only in the USA but elsewhere in the world it is recommended to be changed.

The Ford Ecoboost people are finding this out as well. A turbo and longer oil changes don't mix even though the factory recommends it. Keeping the repair shops busy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2019 Crosstrek has only 5500 km after 18 months - do I actually need to have it serviced? How often?
Both our our Subaru's have not seen much light in 15 months, we are talking 10 trips to the gas station across two vehicles. Since they sit in a garage, and have very low mileage this year I opted for changing the oil after 12 months.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,144 Posts
Ours went 13 months and only 3K miles. I did an oil analysis and they said it was fine and could have gone longer.

Reactions: Yarameme

·
Registered
309 Posts
Correct answer: whatever it takes to maintain the warranty. Down here (your southern neighborhood), it's every 6 months or 6,000 miles (whichever comes first) for the first three years (or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first). Then you can do whatever the heck you want to do.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
whatever it takes to maintain the warranty. Down here (your southern neighborhood), it's every 6 months or 6,000 miles (whichever comes first) for the first three years (or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first). Then you can do whatever the heck you want to do.
For for power train components the warranty is 5 years or 60k miles (whichever comes first).

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Excellent advice. I like a dummy followed the factory recommended 7,500 mile oil changes (yes that is what it was in '14) and paid for it. Sure the oil is synthetic but the rings have so low of tension on them to help with mpgs that if the lands get any kind of build up on them at all, they can stick. Then you get the burning oil issues. Far cheaper to do 3-4,000 mile changes. Same with the Lifetime CVT fluid only in the USA but elsewhere in the world it is recommended to be changed.

The Ford Ecoboost people are finding this out as well. A turbo and longer oil changes don't mix even though the factory recommends it. Keeping the repair shops busy.

I changed the oil in my focus ST every 10k miles, but I sold it after 70k miles

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Powertrain Limited Warranty
POWERTRAIN COVERAGE for all models is 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. Subject to the exclusions listed in this warranty, it covers the major powertrain components listed below.

Powertrain Coverage Components:
Engine
Engine block and all internal parts
Cylinder heads and valve trains
Oil pump, oil pan
Timing belts or gears and cover
Water pump
Flywheel
Intake and exhaust manifolds
Oil seals and gaskets

Transaxle/Transmission and Differential:
Transaxle/Transmission case and internal parts