Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Crosstrek Limited and I am not very happy with the drivers seat, it is one of the most uncomfortable seat I have ever had to sit in, my 03 GMC blows it out of the water when it comes to comfort.
The center area where the *** bones come in contact with the perforated Leather (?) is hard as a rock and the impression my *** bones leave last for hours, any body have the same problem?
Also where is the leather is it only the perforated area, I had the bottom cushion off trying to soften it up but I did not find any REAL leather.
Chuck

·
Registered
167 Posts
I feel the bottom cushion is comfortable enough for me, but the lack of lumbar support is what dings the true comfort. I'd take a a simple knob for lumbar adjustment over the six-way power. Subaru has never been known to put much into seat comfort though. However, if I compare to similar class vehicles I've driven, the leather seats in the '18+ Crosstrek blow them away. The design is such that, once adjusted properly, I can drive long distances without any discomfort. There's few vehicles I've driven where that's the case. I also like that the heated seats include lumbar heat. Just wish they'd tune the wonky thermostat to deliver a constant temp.

I will agree with you though that the cushion is on the harder side, but I prefer that for the support vs. sinking in.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,231 Posts
There seems to be a wide range of opinions on the seats. We both find the seats in our Limited very comfortable. My only complaint is that there's no seat memory, as we like them positioned differently. I've had that in previous cars and lets it makes for a more perfect union... ?

I believe the seating areas, including the back and headrest are leather and the sides are pleather.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The absence of adjustment of the front part of the seat makes it difficult for me to find a comfortable spot. 6 way adjustment is similar to a non powered seat. 8 way is the usual for electric powered seats, not sure why Subaru hasn't done this. Have yet to do anything but short in town trips with my new one. Have a friend who had a seat from one of his most favorite cars put into his second favorite. Took a few months though.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
69 Posts
I experienced the same problem during my test drive (haven’t bought yet). I’m 6’-1” and get absolutely no thigh support. I can’t believe no one has fabricated some sort of spacer/riser for the two points where the seat fastens at the front. I’m not a machinist, but it looks like it would be easy enough to do. I’m sure there would be a demand out here!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I initially wanted a power seat, but then was looking at a base model since they both have the same movements. A couple other features caught me and I opted for the Limited instead. Forgot about the lack of front movement. I've been looking for almost 5 years before getting my 2020.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
69 Posts
... My only complaint is that there's no seat memory, as we like them positioned differently. I've had that in previous cars and lets it makes for a more perfect union...
I agree with you! There is no excuse for the lack of a memory function once you have gone to all of the expense that power seats require. The whole idea of power seats is to facilitate ease of adjustment - which is only required when you have multiple drivers.

·
Registered
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
1,138 Posts
In the brief part of my life that I attempted to be a car salesman, a problem which caused a number of people to give up on vehicles that they otherwise liked was a seat that they could not get used to. But this happened to fairly few people. And what I learned was that everybody is shaped a little bit different. And automakers build seats towards being acceptable to the largest number of people. So there will always be a small number of people who get a hard miss on comfort for any given car.

Sucks, if you like the car. But it happens.

You can play, play, play, with the adjustments. You could try visiting an auto upholstery store, and see if they could help. You could replace the seats with ones from a similar vehicle which has different seats (like go from the Crosstrek to seats from an STI). Or you need to decide if you can live with it, or have to trade it in for a different car.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had a difficult time with seat at first. My leg was hurting so someone here recommended raising the seat. That helped. Also no lumbar hurt my back. I added my own inside the seat. I have a post on this forum about it.

The cushion is actually cushy. I do wish the seat base was longer for better thigh support. Also, the front of the seat base should raise and lower just like the back.

Overall, after 11k miles I now find the seat comfortable for the class.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I had a difficult time with seat at first. My leg was hurting so someone here recommended raising the seat. That helped. Also no lumbar hurt my back. I added my own inside the seat. I have a post on this forum about it.

The cushion is actually cushy. I do wish the seat base was longer for better thigh support. Also, the front of the seat base should raise and lower just like the back.

Overall, after 11k miles I now find the seat comfortable for the class.

Similar to my experience. My first road trip with the car, last couple days the underside of my thighs was aching from the pressure points of it. But after playing with it for a year, and maybe just getting it broken in, my second road trip was comfortable to the point where there was nothing remarkable to say about the seat. I'm fine in it now for any amount of driving.

·
Registered
2019 Limited - Suba
270 Posts
I must be right in the sweet spot they were designing for. I find the seats comfortable, even on hours long drives. My only concern is that the leather is showing more sign of wear at 12K miles than my previous Nissan's seats did at 98K (when I traded it in). If the seats don't last as well as the rest of vehicle, it's not terribly expensive to replace with Katzkin.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Last week I had a 350 mile drive with my sister in the back seat. I was asking her about it today. She told me that not only was she entirely comfortable the whole trip, she thought it was quiet as well. This is a 1st gen Crosstrek, which a number of people complain is too loud in the passenger compartment. And she drives a Volvo.

So YMMV as to how you like the interior of this car.

Reactions: SubieSubieDo

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree with you! There is no excuse for the lack of a memory function once you have gone to all of the expense that power seats require. The whole idea of power seats is to facilitate ease of adjustment - which is only required when you have multiple drivers.
Am I mistaken in thinking the 2020+ Limiteds have memory?

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,231 Posts
Seat memory is one thing I wish our '18 had. Anyone heard of an aftermarket add-on for that?

Reactions: SubieSubieDo

·
Registered
782 Posts
When Dearly Beloved and I had our first test drive, the salesman put us in the S (Limited). The Premium was closer to our price point so we sat in one. We just looked at each other and said in unison "The seats aren't as comfortable."
<hashtag>oldmarrieds 🐨

1 - 18 of 18 Posts