Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I definitely recommend installing these yourself (or get a friend to do it). It's fast and easy, and saves the labor. Also order them online - cheaper than through a dealer.

Anyway... I completely failed to take a picture of the location where you drill... The instructions say to look for a small untextured area. That "small" is an understatement... it's a small circle just below and behind (respective to the car) the mounting spot for the cargo cover. The spot you're looking for is a dimple a bit less than 1mm in diameter.

Next up, drill a 1/4" hole on that spot. This one is the passenger side. Here you can tell where your dimple should be. (Ignore that scratch on the plastic to the right... made that happen within the first week of owning the XV. Awesome, right?)

The 1/4" hole is mainly to get your hole started and lessen the chances of slipping away from the dimple [and ruining the interior of your brand new xv!] because now we're going to make the hole bigger with a 1/2" drill bit. (This picture is the driver's side. Again, hole is below and behind that square spot.) Now you're through the worst of it.

Now place the plastic ring on the 'mushroom mount', put it in the 1/2" hole (it's a tight fit! I had to finagle it a little bit...) and then screw it clockwise to cause the thing to expand to hold it in place. The OCD-type that I am, it had to have the notch centered up top...

Nothing left to do but put the nets on.

Seatback net with seats up. (I've found I prefer to leave my seats down though... so this one won't likely be mounted often).

Note: the rear seatback and side cargo nets use the same mushroom mount, so if you order both sets you'll receive four mushroom mounts. You only need to install two of them.

·
Registered
174 Posts
are the seatback cargo net and the regular cargo net that goes in the front towards the hatch the same size? i would really like to relocate the regular cargo net to the seatback.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bina, I can't say for sure re: the fit of the seat back compared to the rear net, but I'd wager it would fit. There is a difference in price, if I remember right, but that could easily be chalked up to the mushroom hooks. If anyone tries that out report back. That'd be an easy way to save a little money if you want the setback and side cargo nets, since they both come with the mushroom hooks

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just wanted to query, with the side cargo nets there are two in one package? that is all you need for the side nets?

If so, my dealer gave me two packages, each has two nets...so does that mean I scored a second set of nets for free?

I was going to install them myself but got confused with the instructions (as my rear is different to the one up above there in the OP) no cavity in mine so was unsure where to place the drill!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Haha sounds like the dealer gave you two packs because they come with two for the side cargo nets. All you have to do is install the 1 piece and youre all good. Super easy!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
Just wanted to query, with the side cargo nets there are two in one package? that is all you need for the side nets?
Yep

If so, my dealer gave me two packages, each has two nets...so does that mean I scored a second set of nets for free?
Yep
I was going to install them myself but got confused with the instructions (as my rear is different to the one up above there in the OP) no cavity in mine so was unsure where to place the drill!
The cavity is where the tonneau cover's frame mounts into plastic moulding... it should be just behind the top portion of the rear seats when the rear seats are in the upright position.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Don't know what all the fuss is with the drilling. I just installed my side cargo nets without having to drill any holes or install the mushroom bolts. I used the right one on the leftside, and the left one on the rightside, so the top clips are nearest the rear seats. I then clipped the top clips onto to the locks of the rear seatback. With the top loops, I just looped them around the top anchor points. The bottom clips are attached to the bottom anchor points as per normal.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nickypooh, I did attach them like that and they fitted the width easily (not swapped over sides though) and they hooked easily into the locks of the rear seat back. Was a bit rushed so might try it again on the weekend with your tips in mind :)

·
Registered
551 Posts
MAINIAC,

The side nets definitly won't hold a 20lb propane tank, but for stuff like I use the seat-back. See those child seat anchor points? Just attach a bungee between them, or simply bungee it to the D-ring tie down points. I use 'em to hold my shovel during the winter months.

·
Registered
25 Posts
are the seatback cargo net and the regular cargo net that goes in the front towards the hatch the same size? i would really like to relocate the regular cargo net to the seatback.
I have the Rear cargo net and the two side cargo nets. I just went out to my garage and tried using the rear net behind the seat. It works but..., the top length behind the seat is wider than top length at the rear. The bottom length behind the seat is much narrower that the bottom length at the rear of the car. There are wheel wells behind the seat making that area narrower, and at the rear the hooks are in the extreme corner. I hooked the tops around the side net elastic that goes around the mushroom. So the top is tight (not too tight) and the bottom just kind of swings because of all the extra length of the net.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
First of all, I definitely recommend installing these yourself (or get a friend to do it). It's fast and easy, and saves the labor. The OCD-type that I am, it had to have the notch centered up top...
I'm installing mine today. Cordless drill died while trying to drill the second 1/2" hole. I have to wait until the fast charge is complete. I believe the tiny dimple may be easier to see on my taupe interior; I found it relatively quickly. And brother, I can give you a run for your money when it comes to OCD! I'm a nut case when it comes to the details. :rolleyes:

NICE tutorial and photos, by the way. Thanks for posting this!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts