Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Lifted 6-speed Crosstrek
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy Blake did another video on the car, featuring another local business here in Sacramento California.

Detail Maniac installed a seamless clear bra on the entire front clip of my car, and more! This video shows them doing the hood and side mirrors. They do absolutely amazing work and there is no other place I would take my cars to other than Man at DM.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Thank for posting SC. I had mine done just after purchase. After watching the video I wish I'd stayed around and watched. Amazing watching someone who's really good at what they do work.

Reactions: stupidchicken03

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Had my hood, front 1/4 panels and mirrors done back in August. Detail Maniac did a first class job Thomas. Simple as it seems getting those mirrors done in one piece is no easy feat.

Nice to see (his daughter ?)learning the trade. You go girl ! The vinyl will definitely help keep your front end looking solid for years to come. Great vid Thomas and Sean. Always interested in "how it works"
Thanks for sharing guys.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank for posting SC. I had mine done just after purchase. After watching the video I wish I'd stayed around and watched. Amazing watching someone who's really good at what they do work.
Had my hood, front 1/4 panels and mirrors done back in August. Detail Maniac did a first class job Thomas. Simple as it seems getting those mirrors done in one piece is no easy feat.

Nice to see (his daughter ?)learning the trade. You go girl ! The vinyl will definitely help keep your front end looking solid for years to come. Great vid Thomas and Sean. Always interested in "how it works"
Thanks for sharing guys.
Yea I got all this done a few months ago as well. Figured it would be best to get it done ASAP before any rock chips haha.

Yes, getting to watch was great. Its crazy how much that film can bend/be manipulated. I for sure do not have to skill/patience to do that.

Nope, not his daughter, just an employee :)

What I had DM do was
-full front bumper
-full front fenders
-full hood
-A-pillars from the hood to roof
-first 6 inches or so of the roof
-first 4 inches or so all along the side of the car
-rear quarter panels

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Sport 6 MT
3,340 Posts
Great video thanks so much for posting

We have an Xpel dealer in our town, I am actively looking to Trade up from our 2015 Touring Xv to a New 2018 Sport. As others have already
posted I think this would make a great addition to protecting vehicle,same as Seattle has already done, Hood,1/4 panels and mirrors.
Will call them Mon to see if they do a one Piece install on the mirrors ??

Troutbum

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Xpel on my mirrors have a horizontal release cut. Nice to see it in one piece.
Maybe different products ? If not kudos to your guy SC

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I didn’t know you could get it big sheets like that. I understand that Xpel comes in a precut kit. I got the whole front end + mirrors and door pockets (protect from nails and rings) done. Cool to see how it’s applied.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^ Yup he buys them by the box (huge roll). He's got a 60" plotter in his back room, so he can cut the templates out if he needs.

They still offer those, but I wanted the full wrap (it does cost a bit more because there is more work involved).

Xpel on my mirrors have a horizontal release cut. Nice to see it in one piece.
Maybe different products ? If not kudos to your guy SC
He was/is using tek and this time around he was trying out a newer film called Stek Dyno Shield.

·
Banned
371 Posts
My buddy Blake did another video on the car, featuring another local business here in Sacramento California.

Detail Maniac installed a seamless clear bra on the entire front clip of my car, and more! This video shows them doing the hood and side mirrors. They do absolutely amazing work and there is no other place I would take my cars to other than Man at DM.

This is intense and awesome... How much did the whole thing cost?

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
11,657 Posts
For custom (non template) wrap, plus all the small trims I had done, retail is right around $2100.

Figured its cheaper than repainting in 5-10 years :)
How long does the wrap last, compared to paint? Would it blister or yellow if in hot sun every day?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How long does the wrap last, compared to paint? Would it blister or yellow if in hot sun every day?
If I remember correctly, it should be good for about 15 years. Then you can peal it off and have "fresh" paint under it.

My STi has a half front clip on it. Installed by the original owner about 10/11 years ago. Sold it to his friend and that friend to me (car has stayed in the family of friends more or less haha). It has just started to yellow a bit in the last year or so, and this was an old film, todays stuff is more advanced.

Well GOOD paint (IE not Subaru lol) would last longer on a car in general id assume.

But since this is Subaru, and I plan on taking it off road a lot, figure id protect against rock chips right from the start.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've seen ClearBra that became cracked/crazed after a few years (8 - 10?). (Don't know what brand it was...)

Also, be aware that often, when you remove old pait protection, the chipped paint that it was holding-in-place might come off.

It's still good practice to use it, IMO.

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Sport 6 MT
3,340 Posts
Second this, stupidchicken03

Only took until the 3rd Subaru to figure it out :wavetowel2:

Hoping to get a phone call or e-mail soon saying " Tigger " has finally arrived at Dealership:sFun_bananasplit:

Troutbum

·
Registered
26 Posts
Got a quote from a local guy here in Tennessee, $900 for the partial package,$1850 for the Full front package. he'll knock off $100 if paying cash.
Paint Protection Film Packages
All pieces below are available a la Carte to create your own package.

Partial package
Partial hood
Partial fenders
Mirror caps
Front bumper

Partial plus Package
Partial hood
Partial fenders
Mirror caps
Front bumper
(Headlights, Door cups, Door edge guards)

Full Front PACKAGE
Full hood
Full fenders
Mirror caps
Front bumper
A pillars

Complete Protection Package
Full hood
Full fenders
Mirror caps
Front bumper
A pillars (Headlights, Door cups, Door edge guards)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts