Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Android Auto seems pretty pointless to me. More of a gimmick than a feature. I use Bluetooth and I'm pretty happy with it.
I have relatives that use Android, but Apple snared me first, lol. I‘ve gotten so used to CarPlay that I’m actually annoyed when I have to drive my spouse’s 10yo minivan. Feels like something’s missing.

The integration is so tight between destination mapping, messaging, music, podcasts, and of course phone calls… I use at least two of those every trip I go for a drive, even if it’s just a short errand.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
14,531 Posts
We're Android and Apple, and more. It gets weird but most of the time it's fun...😸

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
BT sucks in my humble opoinion. I love CarPlay. Wish my '18Forester had it. But it was like..do I wait for CarPlay and an underpowered Forester or buy an XT Forester...lol

·
Registered
478 Posts
What does carplay/androidauto do ? No subtext here, I legit want know what they do. No marketing BS please - how do you use it day to day?
Change the layout of your phone and dash for the worst ;)
In all seriousness, it's like a limited button "safe to drive with less distractions" variant of connecting your stuff. Like if you were to enable battery savings on your phone, it changes the layouts to "make things simpler". The one thing I like is that it allows the dash to display a GPS map for "base" model users. But tbh, they are both pretty terrible altercations to both the normal dash layout, and your phone layout.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
371 Posts
What does carplay/androidauto do ? No subtext here, I legit want know what they do. No marketing BS please - how do you use it day to day?
I like CarPlay because of the integration with the car's existing infotainment screen & microphone and the fact I don't have to ever touch my phone once I'm driving. I use it multiple times on a daily basis and, at this point, would not like to live without it. It's particularly nice to have different map apps to choose from. For instance, I use Waze when I'm road tripping to keep an eye out for police, road hazards, construction and traffic. I like Google Maps when I want to look at the satellite view of my surroundings where I'm driving and Apple Maps is quite clever in knowing my driving habits. Based on those habits, it knows when I'm driving to the golf course or if I'm heading into town or if I'm on my way home. It will automatically give me dynamic ETA's.

The other integration is with phone calls and texting. Siri in my Crosstrek via CarPlay works very well. I do all of my texting using Siri dictation when I'm driving. I also use Siri to ask for directions or to answer questions about weather, the music I'm listening to, addresses and, well, just so much more.

Music in my car is and always has been very important to me. I subscribe to Apple Music so I love having voice access to over 70 million songs. I'm old enough to have lived through the tail end of 8-tracks, then cassettes and then CD's for music sources in my cars. Just the fact I can ask my car to play virtually any song or album I can think of just amazes me. Perhaps simple things entertain simple minds. 😉

I've only just begun to take advantage of the Podcasts and Audio Books apps. Both offer seemingly endless entertainment when driving on long road trips.

I'll have to disagree with another poster as I prefer the look of CarPlay on my infotainment screen vs. Subaru's interface. I like that one can change backgrounds and views. It's pretty obvious here how I feel about CarPlay. Personally, I would never buy a vehicle that doesn't support it. I realize everyone's different but I just wanted to try to answer @Sarang's question. I hope this helps!

·
Prefers black cats
14,531 Posts
I like CarPlay because of the integration with the car's existing infotainment screen & microphone and the fact I don't have to ever touch my phone once I'm driving. I use it multiple times on a daily basis and, at this point, would not like to live without it. It's particularly nice to have different map apps to choose from. For instance, I use Waze when I'm road tripping to keep an eye out for police, road hazards, construction and traffic. I like Google Maps when I want to look at the satellite view of my surroundings where I'm driving and Apple Maps is quite clever in knowing my driving habits. Based on those habits, it knows when I'm driving to the golf course or if I'm heading into town or if I'm on my way home. It will automatically give me dynamic ETA's.

The other integration is with phone calls and texting. Siri in my Crosstrek via CarPlay works very well. I do all of my texting using Siri dictation when I'm driving. I also use Siri to ask for directions or to answer questions about weather, the music I'm listening to, addresses and, well, just so much more.

Music in my car is and always has been very important to me. I subscribe to Apple Music so I love having voice access to over 70 million songs. I'm old enough to have lived through the tail end of 8-tracks, then cassettes and then CD's for music sources in my cars. Just the fact I can ask my car to play virtually any song or album I can think of just amazes me. Perhaps simple things entertain simple minds. 😉

I've only just begun to take advantage of the Podcasts and Audio Books apps. Both offer seemingly endless entertainment when driving on long road trips.

I'll have to disagree with another poster as I prefer the look of CarPlay on my infotainment screen vs. Subaru's interface. I like that one can change backgrounds and views. It's pretty obvious here how I feel about CarPlay. Personally, I would never buy a vehicle that doesn't support it. I realize everyone's different but I just wanted to try to answer @Sarang's question. I hope this helps!
^^^ This!

I was aware of Android Auto and CarPlay (and an earlier attempt by Microsoft to do the same thing), long before we bought our '18 but had no experience with it. We waited for the '18 because it was the new gen and had it.

Every time I drive the Crosstrek I plug in my Pixel 5 and use Android Auto. OAK uses CarPlay if she wants to use nav on the HU screen, otherwise she's happy with using the Crosstrek as a $30K Bluetooth headset, LOL! I prefer AA because it has my recent call history and Starlink does not.

We both prefer Google Maps and the Android Auto implementation is better but I've used both, depending on who is driving and they are both way better than the expensive on-board nav.

I don't understand the hating on it - try it and if you don't like it, don't use it. I love the functionality and integration with the car. It's SO much better than trying to mount a phone somewhere and fussing with a small screen, etc. Shortly after we got the Crosstrek, I liked AA so much I installed a new HU in our other car with AA/CarPlay.

·
Prefers black cats
14,531 Posts
Navigation. Turns your infotainment screen into a map which is integrated with siri. Itrs honestly quicker and better than the Subaru Navigation.
Yep! We have some friendly banter here about whether Androids or iPhones are better but they are both way ahead of the on board nav. The only advantage the on board nav has is being able to work without a mobile phone signal but if you plan ahead you can download Google Maps data. I don't bother in the Los Angeles area but it's on my checklist for when we head up into the mountains.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Crosstrek Premium
1,546 Posts

Very helpful, thanks.

I actually did try it out briefly when I first got the car. I wasn't impressed then, but this makes me think I should try it out again. I would definitely like the google maps visible.

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
Yep! We have some friendly banter here about whether Androids or iPhones are better but they are both way ahead of the on board nav.
LOL..I have always had iphones. But I would never never claim they are better. In fact maybe the opposite. I had an older chevy spark and It had carplay. I loved the maps, So I knew I should just continur to buy iphones. Again they are for sure not better than Android.

·
Prefers black cats
14,531 Posts
Also Pioneer AVH-4400nex from Crutchfield here with their harness! The other car, not the '18 Crosstrek...

Shout out to Crutchfield!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Love CarPlay! I do have the occasional dropout though. Very annoying when navigating and it can be tough to get started again. I haven't found the remedy. I have the latest firmware too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Change the layout of your phone and dash for the worst ;)
In all seriousness, it's like a limited button "safe to drive with less distractions" variant of connecting your stuff. Like if you were to enable battery savings on your phone, it changes the layouts to "make things simpler". The one thing I like is that it allows the dash to display a GPS map for "base" model users. But tbh, they are both pretty terrible altercations to both the normal dash layout, and your phone layout.
CarPlay is not bad if you go into settings on your iPhone and remove all the apps you don't use from the display (Settings > General > CarPlay). You can also change the order on that screen. It defaults to display every CarPlay enabled app, so cleaning up the display and arranging it to your liking helps a lot.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Don't make me post a pic of my Jornada! Do you remember Compaq iPaqs?

My first mobile computer was one of those Compaq luggables that would just fit under the seat on a plane. My first mobile phone was the Panasonic briefcase thing, LOL!
Ahhh the good old days. Started my IT career working on those luggables and IBM PC 2 floppy drive systems. Don't forget the Palm:)

·
Prefers black cats
14,531 Posts
Still got it.
Yeah but did you also have one of these?

Btw, OtherAstroKat was an exec at Compaq in Houston before they were acquired by HP. She launched the Presario line in the UK.

I also have a Sharp Wizard somewhere...

Input device Grey Gadget Audio equipment Font

21 - 40 of 45 Posts