Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 18 Crosstrek and have never had good luck with either iphone 5c or 6S....brought to dealer
and found out U DON'T NEED APPLE CARPLAY.....the dealer set it up with Blue Tooth in just a few moments..
So glad........now I can use it again...I HAVE ALL APPLE PRODUCTS and I find many issues with every one of them ...now I just have the cable charging the phone from the dc power input in the center area.
S C R E W...APPLEPLAY

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a ‘19 and mostly use BT for music from downloaded Spotify songs on an iPhone 5SE. Once connected it generally runs flawlessly for as long as I need. I used wired CarPlay a few times mostly just to try and to get a charge when nec but found it frustrating to initiate and it had constant hiccups. Given that it was wired I found this odd and annoying. So, ya, BT is the best way as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've been using bluetooth since I've bought the car. USB in the armrest port with all my music. I was on a shared 6 gig data plan and didn't want to use up data with apple CarPlay. Just upgraded to unlimited data recently and started using CarPlay all the time with my iPhone X. It has been good. I do get a skip, like a computer wheel when it gets bogged down, but usually happens when a lot of apps are opened up in the background and it’s a millisecond. Honestly, I can go either way. The one thing I use a lot is the ETA on maps for CarPlay. Yes, I can use it on my phone but it’s more convenient while driving.

·
Registered
121 Posts
OP, CarPlay was still rather a work in progress for your MY, and those are some pretty old phones you cite, neither is officially supported by Apple anymore.

I can only testify that in a ‘21 Sport, using an iPhone 11 Pro, CarPlay has been darn near perfect since last August. I think there was one glitch earlier this year, but an iOS patch cleaned that up within a couple weeks of my noticing it.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
14,661 Posts
The OP only seems to come here to complain in a very shouty way...

We have an '18 and there were a few initial glitches early on, but both CarPlay and Android Auto have been pretty flawless since the first few firmware updates. He needs to get a newer iPhone.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, I don't buy into the Apple idea of buying a new $900 phone every six months....its planned obsolesene
What electronic product do you replace every six months or so...Not your Surround Sound receiver, not your speakers, not your HD TV....many apple fans are like Trump fans and they do what they are told and think what they are told to think...Go to Macrumors.com and its all glory to apple...buy, this, buy that...hurry...buy, buy buy

·
Prefers black cats
14,661 Posts
That's quite an exaggeration. We get at least three years out of a decent phone. You could get a used iPhone 8 and save a lot of money, and probably have a more pleasant experience.

·
Prefers black cats
14,661 Posts
Each to his or her own. I like that meme, though, LOL!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Meh, I use both Android (Google Pixel 3XL) with Android Auto and Apple (iPhone 11 Pro Max) with CarPlay. I was an android fanboy from the early days and even converted from Windows Mobile and trashed apple on a daily basis.

And one day... my employer standardized on Apple so I had to get the iPhone. What I've found is that it just works. For me, CarPlay works more seamlessly than Android Auto in my Trek.

As for updates, my 2.5 year old Pixel 3XL will be EOL next year and no longer get updates. My Android watch was EOL after juts 2 years. So much for that $500.00.

Apple is still updating phones all the way back to the iPhone 5 and it will be getting IOS 15 even. And the Apple Watches all the way back to the Series Zero are still updated.

Now, stay tuned for an upcoming post from me on how I have "Wireless" CarPlay working in my 2019 Crosstrek Limited.

David

·
Prefers black cats
14,661 Posts
Meh, I use both Android (Google Pixel 3XL) with Android Auto and Apple (iPhone 11 Pro Max) with CarPlay. I was an android fanboy from the early days and even converted from Windows Mobile and trashed apple on a daily basis.

And one day... my employer standardized on Apple so I had to get the iPhone. What I've found is that it just works. For me, CarPlay works more seamlessly than Android Auto in my Trek.

As for updates, my 2.5 year old Pixel 3XL will be EOL next year and no longer get updates. My Android watch was EOL after juts 2 years. So much for that $500.00.

Apple is still updating phones all the way back to the iPhone 5 and it will be getting IOS 15 even. And the Apple Watches all the way back to the Series Zero are still updated.

Now, stay tuned for an upcoming post from me on how I have "Wireless" CarPlay working in my 2019 Crosstrek Limited.

David
Aha, so you're the other guy who had a Windows Mobile phone, LOL! I started with Windows CE and then PocketPC. I still have some of them...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sorry, I don't buy into the Apple idea of buying a new $900 phone every six months....its planned obsolesene
What electronic product do you replace every six months or so...Not your Surround Sound receiver, not your speakers, not your HD TV....many apple fans are like Trump fans and they do what they are told and think what they are told to think...Go to Macrumors.com and its all glory to apple...buy, this, buy that...hurry...buy, buy buy

View attachment 306396
Macrumors is a dedicated apple site, of course (nearly) everyone there is going to be pro apple. What did you expect? Just like DaveTN said, apple supports its products for a much longer lifespan than any other manufacturer.

This seems like user error. Don’t like CarPlay? Don’t use it. I’ve found CarPlay to be a great advancement, I put a wireless unit in my 2015 and it’s been a great experience 99% of the time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Aha, so you're the other guy who had a Windows Mobile phone, LOL! I started with Windows CE and then PocketPC. I still have some of them...
Heh Heh.... I go waaaayyy back. I still have a working HP Jornada. I have a NEC WinCe "tablet" with a keyboard too.

Oh yeah, I also had a monochrome Sony Clie.

David

·
Super Moderator
2020 Crosstrek Premium
1,552 Posts
I too use phones for years. My current Galaxy S7 is about five years old and going strong.

Android Auto seems pretty pointless to me. More of a gimmick than a feature. I use Bluetooth and I'm pretty happy with it.

·
Prefers black cats
14,661 Posts
Heh Heh.... I go waaaayyy back. I still have a working HP Jornada. I have a NEC WinCe "tablet" with a keyboard too.

Oh yeah, I also had a monochrome Sony Clie.

David
Don't make me post a pic of my Jornada! Do you remember Compaq iPaqs?

My first mobile computer was one of those Compaq luggables that would just fit under the seat on a plane. My first mobile phone was the Panasonic briefcase thing, LOL!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Don't recall the brand but my first dumb phone weighed 5 lbs, had an antenna to stick on the roof and reception was poor. Of course I lived in VT then and there 'may' have been one tower nearby, lol. Only used it to order pizza when wife and I were coming back from a work trip.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Don't make me post a pic of my Jornada! Do you remember Compaq iPaqs?

My first mobile computer was one of those Compaq luggables that would just fit under the seat on a plane. My first mobile phone was the Panasonic briefcase thing, LOL!
Yup, had a couple iPaq too. First phone was a Moto Bag phone I got when I was working home health out in the boonies in the late 80's. Weighed a ton and the battery lasted about 3 hours. Got a NEC hand held after that which was indestructible, then a StarTac which was not.

I also have an affection for tablets. Fist one was a Compaq TC 1000, then the TC1100, and then on, and then on... too many to remember. Rocking a Surface Pro 4 which is going into semi retirement and using my Surface Book 3 now.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts