Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to go explore yesterday, had a destination loaded onto Google Maps, but then the road changed from gravel logging road to narrow dirt road and despite my best efforts, I managed to scratch up the right side of the car and the mirror shell. (Oh, and I never got where I was going because the GPS directions lead to a non-existent road/trail!)

Should I sell it? Is it even worth anything anymore? Abandon it down by the train tracks? Or wash it and try to clean and polish out the scratches?

Maybe they're just lines in all the dust, I didn't really check.

Do I overreact much?

Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
So I decided to go explore yesterday, had a destination loaded onto Google Maps, but then the road changed from gravel logging road to narrow dirt road and despite my best efforts, I managed to scratch up the right side of the car and the mirror shell. (Oh, and I never got where I was going because the GPS directions lead to a non-existent road/trail!)

Should I sell it? Is it even worth anything anymore? Abandon it down by the train tracks? Or wash it and try to clean and polish out the scratches?

Maybe they're just lines in all the dust, I didn't really check.

Do I overreact much?
LOL, we got some scrapes from tough brush on a narrow trail the first time we took it off road. I was driving and I thought I'd be sleeping on the cat perch for a while but they mostly polished out and OAK considers it a badge of honor... 馃樃

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe the dealer will exchange it 1-for-1 as a matter of customer service and satisfaction? They do that, don't they?

Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
馃槀馃槅馃ぃ:LOL:

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
If you are going to resort to a GPS to guide you to your destination you are doomed to have a life filled with troubles. The Top 10 List of Worst GPS Disasters and Sat Nav Mistakes Best just to get rid of the thing and rely on public transportation.
Well, it wasn't a GPS, I was using driving directions from Google Maps. When I zoomed in on my PC, everything looked fine. But out on the road, it wanted me to take a trail that was non-existent (seriously, there wasn't even a motorcycle trail anywhere near that location). So I just kept going, hoping for a "refresh" that would get me to my destination and it seemed like it was working until I reached a point where I decided I was tired of too-narrow trails and turned around at the first trail crossing. Plus, I don't have any rescue gear in case I get stuck somewhere, so discretion won out ahead of valor.

Registered
LOL, again! We've had pretty good luck with downloaded Google Maps on the HU with AA but with some weirdness. Alltrails on a phone is a good backup.

Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
I managed to scratch up the right side of the car and the mirror shell.
We call that "Arizona pin striping" here in the Sonoran Desert. Elbow grease with a cleaner wax usually does the trick.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
We call that "Arizona pin striping" here in the Sonoran Desert. Elbow grease with a cleaner wax usually does the trick.
IDK, SubaruBill, that sounds like you think I'll supply the elbow grease? Geez, I just pulled weeds out in the yard for the last hour and my knees are aching. Peter B's offer to dispose of the car is starting to seem like a sound idea...

ALSO: for some reason the dealer hasn't returned my call regarding the swap-it-for-a-new-one plan. Maybe they're just running slow because of COVID-19. I'll wait at least another day before I call an attorney. I'm certain I read about this in the warranty manual.

Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
If you are going to resort to a GPS to guide you to your destination you are doomed to have a life filled with troubles. The Top 10 List of Worst GPS Disasters and Sat Nav Mistakes Best just to get rid of the thing and rely on public transportation.
Every single one of those items is down to basic human stupidity and nothing more. People do countless dumb things daily on their own, with or without computer assistance. You seriously think any of those people would have done better with a road atlas instead?

Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
Every single one of those items is down to basic human stupidity and nothing more. People do countless dumb things daily on their own, with or without computer assistance. You seriously think any of those people would have done better with a road atlas instead?
I took the article as more tongue in cheek than anything. However, I can vouch that I borrowed a Garmin unit a number of years ago and it took me 5 miles down a dead end road, then told me to turn around and go back. :rolleyes:

Registered
I also took it as tongue in cheek, however:

We stopped using Waze because, here in the Los Angeles area, it would take us on a "shortcut" then expect us to cross a six-lane thoroughfare like Wilshire Boulevard without a stop light. The algorithm may have worked in a small town but not here!

I don't think the OP wants to sell a Crosstrek because it got scratched, doing what Crosstreks are supposed to do...

Registered
2020 Pure Red Crosstrek 6-spd, 2019 DGM Crosstrek 6-spd
I think you should contact SOA immediately since your dealer isn鈥檛 responding in a timely manner. They gave me a new short block at 45K for an oil leak, the least they should do is exchange the car for a new one because you came out second best to a rosebush......
Of course once they get it back they will take it down to the tracks themselves......馃か

Jake

Registered
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
Drive to purchasing site and tell the dealer "This is how I got the car, but I haven't had time to really look at it until now as I sleep during the day so I didn't notice the scratches until now." Then tell them you have moved to a new home some exact mileage halfway from your dealer and explain that the odometer reflects the distance. Deny every thing. You may also include some or all of the following reasons for return: "This was supposed to be an Orange car," "Head Unit Failure," "GPS Talks Smack to Me," "Eye Sight Needs Contact Lenses," "Unintended Non-Acceleration," "Exploding Fuel Tank," "Unintended Braking," " I can't See the Moon in Moon Roof," "Windshield Too Expensive," "Factory Squeezed the Darn Cylinders so they are not upright and all four cylinders are laying down flat," "Engine Consuming Oil," "Engine Oil is NOT 0w-20, but actually is 2W-22 and isn't synthetic enough," "Fuel Level Goes Down When I Drive the Car," and "Tires flatten when air is removed" While dealer begins to write down the problems insist on a ride in a "Good Subaru" and when you get in quickly drive off without the dealer. This should give you enough time to escape, move, get some plastic surgery, change your job and change your name. Write the forum back if the institution allows inmates letters to outside. We will offer moral support. If a off road car doesn't have scratches then it isn't being used properly. Good for you!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts