Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

ScanGauge 3

Model Years 2018 to 2023 
12K views 97 replies 15 participants last post by  Bluefoton 
#1 ·
Yes you read that right. The ScanGauge 3 is out and I’m about to pull the trigger on this bad boy to keep an eye on everything while towing. Am I going to be the first or has anyone else tested this out yet?

Gadget Font Technology Audio equipment Electric blue

See less See more
#5 ·
Not the ScanGauge 3. Have a ScanGauge 2 from 2007. Used on an 07 Toyota FJ, 2011 Golf TDI, 2015 Crosstrek and now the 2019 Crosstrek. Nice to be able to see coolant temp. CVT fluid temp, inlet air temp and a lot more. Turbo boost was a good one with the 2011 Golf diesel.

#11 ·
Ok all. I am happy to report this thing is a BEAST! Literally, a monkey could set this up. I started the car, plugged it all in, went to setup and set the basics like F and miles. Then went in over to the XGauge tab, hit Auto Scan and selected Subaru then Select All and Bob’s your uncle:)
After that it was just a matter of touch and choose what to display on each “gauge”.

YES it does engine oil temp👍🏻

pics for posterity😎 Could I be the first of us w the SG3? That’s purty cool!
Motor vehicle Computer Vehicle Light Automotive design

Sky Car Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle

#17 ·
If you are going to be towing, you could consider upgrading the CVT oil cooler or adding one of you do not already have one in front of the radiator/aircon condenser. Not sure of your model has the air to liquid cooler or just the oil to water cooler/warmer on the engine. I was looking at the Hayden coolers if need be, specifically the 697 or 698 that have the built in bypass to allow the oil to heat up when in colder winter climates.

#23 ·
From what I have seen on various groups, 180 to 200 seems to be the norm and not wanting to exceed 220? I want to be able to monitor this when towing. Generally with the oil to water heat exchanger that sits on the back of the engine on the passenger side (on the outback anyway) this will ensure that the CVT oil temperature is a bit higher than the engine water temperature when it leaves this unit. My Outback has a factory oil cooler in front of the condenser that will further cool the CVT oil before it returns to the CVT.

#29 ·
Thanks for the info. Not a fan of mounting stuff on my windshield so I would hope to place something lower. Maybe a proclip phone mount would be a better spot for me.

I was referring to the install into a switch plate as a fancy install.

#32 ·
If any of you get this there was one issue. It did not save the setup profile between uses and it turns out it’s an old firmware issue. So, FOLLOW THIS PROCEDURE BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE.

1) WiFi update to 1.08
2) WiFi update to 1.09
3) WiFi update to 1.10
4) Go on your merry way:)

DO NOT skip these versions and go straight to 1.10. You won’t brick it or anything, it’ll just get stuck in a reboot cycle.

#48 ·
Interesting. I have had zero issues with my OBDLink MX+. I also have a ScanGauge II that I sent in to be updated about 6 months ago, but have not used it in my CT seeing the OBDLink MX+ /ActiveOBD combo works well.

#58 ·
Just received and installed my ScanGauge3. What a pleasure and ease of installation. Gives me my CVT oil temperature and engine water temperature which were to of the main things that I was looking for for towing, plus there is a lot of other data available. Going to be towing 5000km this summer so just in time and looking forward to tracking the CVT oil temperature to see if a bigger cooler is necessary. I rate this product 10/10.

#61 ·
Mike
I don't see CVT fluid(oil) temp as an XGauge for some unknown reason. Could you tell me what it says on the XGauge screen for Subaru when you did the scan. I created an XGauge manually by inputing all the codes. But I can't seem to get it onto a gauge. Must be missing something.

#69 ·
I've been following this thread and just received my Scangauge 3. Curious if anyone has set the audible warnings. Here's what I'm setting my audible warning values to:

ATF Temp ------ warning @ 230F
Oil Temp -------- warning @ 260F
Coolant Temp - warning @ 210F

I'm curious what you all think, too high, too low? I'm just taking a stab in the dark to start with based on some of the values I've read for these temps.

#70 ·
I've been following this thread and just received my Scangauge 3. Curious if anyone has set the audible warnings. Here's what I'm setting my audible warning values to:

ATF Temp ------ warning @ 230F
Oil Temp -------- warning @ 260F
Coolant Temp - warning @ 210F

I'm curious what you all think, too high, too low? I'm just taking a stab in the dark to start with based on some of the values I've read for these temps.
I have just ATF active right now at 240F. It’s been well established CVTF has a much greater max temp than ATF. But anything above that does start decreasing longevity exponentially. I follow the severe use maint schedule because I tow and replace fluids every 25k miles. So I’m comfortable to 240. Will be having dealer install the Mishimoto WRX CVT cooler as a secondary cooler for good measure next month though.

#95 · (Edited)
Can you also use ScanGauge 3 to scan for codes and errors?
Yes I do use the scan gauge 3 to check for codes and errors but I also have some other scan devices. I occasionally get the audible alert with my oil temp set at 220F, it needs to be louder and I messaged the factory a couple of times suggesting a louder piezo on that, but I really like it. Probably going to raise the alarm threshold to 225F.

#81 ·
Out of interest sake, I just towed a 2000lbs trailer for 1900km. I have attached a picture of my Scanguage3 readouts. This was the norm for most of the trip running at 100km/h most of the time. The engine oil temp and CVT temp climbed to 115 and 95 degrees Celsius respectively on a couple of long steep climbs. Something that I found interesting is that the engine oil temperature rose really quickly on steep climbs but fell again quickly. The CVT temp was slower to climb and slower to fall again. Makes one wonder if an engine oil cooler is worth while if towing a lot at max capacity in high heat? CVT temp was well within limits at that ambient temp. Will see what happens when ambient temp in high 20's. Really enjoying this unit and would recommend it to anyone towing and wanting to keep and eye on various engine and CVT temperatures.
Vehicle Automotive design Mode of transport Sky Gadget

#98 ·
Out of interest sake, I just towed a 2000lbs trailer for 1900km. I have attached a picture of my Scanguage3 readouts. This was the norm for most of the trip running at 100km/h most of the time. The engine oil temp and CVT temp climbed to 115 and 95 degrees Celsius respectively on a couple of long steep climbs. Something that I found interesting is that the engine oil temperature rose really quickly on steep climbs but fell again quickly. The CVT temp was slower to climb and slower to fall again. Makes one wonder if an engine oil cooler is worth while if towing a lot at max capacity in high heat? CVT temp was well within limits at that ambient temp. Will see what happens when ambient temp in high 20's. Really enjoying this unit and would recommend it to anyone towing and wanting to keep and eye on various engine and CVT temperatures.
EOTs in the 115s are nothing to worry about. I've seen it on hilly highways, and reached 120s on the track with my old impreza 2.5. A quick search revealed that oil breakdown temperatures starts to occur in the >135 C range.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.