Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

Scandalous dealer practices.

5K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  241514 
#1 ·
II bought a 2014 cross track Subaru El Cajon California the night I went in after they called me to tell me they had a cross track for me to look at I got there they had the dash pulled apart They told me they were selling it Certified Subaru and that if I waited till the next day the price would be go up because they would’ve went through it and seen it was worth more money. They told me everything that didn’t pass their 152 point inspection would make the carport like brand new nothing would have rust broken parts or anything else. What I feel to realize then was they were taking out the navigation system and The only thing they manage to do before I picked it up a week later was to clean it. And that wasn’t a very good job at that but I had to Uber to the dealer an hour and a half away so I wasn’t gonna stay there haggling over the last job . A week later they called me and told me they forgot to do the smog all that told me was they probably never did the 152 point inspection. My USB port didn’t work there was no pedal cover on the break. It put me into a very deep depression and I couldn’t deal with it. 10 months later I’m replacing a clutch with not even 10,000 miles put on it. It went to another dealer closer and when they replace the clutch of course that wasn’t covered under warranty the front control arms were rusted to the knuckle. How cannotHow did this car pass 152 point inspection less than 10 months earlier not even 10,000 miles garage kept vehicle in California . They wouldn’t even give me a copy of the Carfax that they showed me. It showed there was cosmetic damage on the rear bumper. 10 months later I run a Carfax report that tells me there is cosmetic in the front end Which I did not confuse because there was a scratch on the rear bumper and that’s where the salesman said it was on the Carfax. I never took it back for the smog but it sure seems that somehow they didn’t a fake smog. After about five months they left me a few messages asking me to take a picture of the sticker underneath the hood and send it to them. Well the sticker is tells the emissions information. I found out I can make a claim against their bond. Attorneys only want to deal with easy cases as I think it’s OK for someone to sell a car without getting a smog. I did call the dealer that I purchased it from after the clutch repair and the control arms were replaced . He was trying to sweet talk me told me to bring the car down he want to have his mechanics look at it when I know good and well that all he wanted to see what the sticker under the hood I haven’t taken it back there. This is only part of my headache

See less See more
#2 ·
Well the lesson to be learned here is don't rush to buy a used car and make sure you have all the information up front, and have the car inspected by an independent mechanic that you trust before you buy.

Sorry you had a bad experience, it's never a good feeling when you feel like you got taken advantage of and got ripped off, in one way or another.

#3 ·
I would talk to dealer's sales manager about their practices. But before you do, I would sit down and itemize everything that happened (I mean everything) in an non-emotional way (yes, I know that's going to be hard). Then take a few days and look it over to be sure you got everything. Then, make up a list of what you want done - ie your wish list. Then wait a few more days and then verify that list is complete.

Finally, talk to the sales manager or even their general manager (the person that the sales managers report to). Show them what happened and get their side of the story. I'm sure they will say that it's not their usual practice and that there must be some misunderstanding and that they would look into it. Send them a copy of what happened and asked that they provide 'corrections' - this allows them to respond and most importantly, it shows that they either agree with the events or they don't. Keep copies of everything and notes from every conversation. I'm sure they will take their time so ask them when you can expect them to get back to you. Once that happens (or doesn't), see what they have to say (or reach out to them if it's past due). Present them with what you want to done to rectify the issues and go from there....

If things get worst (ie they don't respond, name calling starts...), contact SOA to get them involved and send them everything that you have collected (documentation and notes from conversations).

#4 ·
Attorneys only want to deal with easy cases
From your comment I infer that you have consulted at least one attorney regarding your complaints. As a retired litigation attorney I must say that it is not true that attorneys only want easy cases. In fact, when, as here, the cause of action may be under a law that could lead to an award of attorney fees that would be paid by a defendant with substantial assets attorneys might favor the complex cases that would lead to lots of billable hours. What attorneys do not want, however, are cases that are losers. It seems quite possible that whoever you consulted listened to you, considered the facts and entire situation, and concluded that your case was a likely loser.

You apparently have owned this vehicle for 10 (?) or 12 (?) months. I'm not sure your expectations for used vehicles are realistic.

#5 ·
After we got our new Crosstrek I found that an immobilizer had been installed and the ignition harness had been cut. It took a lot if haggling but we got a free 100K warranty out of it from the selling dealer. They were unaware of it and it turned out to be a dealer trade from El Cajon, so I expect that's who installed it.

#12 · (Edited)
"II bought a 2014 cross track Subaru El Cajon California the night I went in after they called me to tell me they had a cross track for me to look at I got there they had the dash pulled apart They told me they were selling it Certified Subaru and that if I waited till the next day the price would be go up because they would’ve went through it and seen it was worth more money.

They told me everything that didn’t pass their 152 point inspection would make the carport like brand new nothing would have rust broken parts or anything else. What I feel to realize then was they were taking out the navigation system and The only thing they manage to do before I picked it up a week later was to clean it.

And that wasn’t a very good job at that but I had to Uber to the dealer an hour and a half away so I wasn’t gonna stay there haggling over the last job . A week later they called me and told me they forgot to do the smog all that told me was they probably never did the 152 point inspection.

My USB port didn’t work there was no pedal cover on the break. It put me into a very deep depression and I couldn’t deal with it. 10 months later I’m replacing a clutch with not even 10,000 miles put on it. It went to another dealer closer and when they replace the clutch of course that wasn’t covered under warranty the front control arms were rusted to the knuckle. How cannotHow did this car pass 152 point inspection less than 10 months earlier not even 10,000 miles garage kept vehicle in California .

They wouldn’t even give me a copy of the Carfax that they showed me. It showed there was cosmetic damage on the rear bumper. 10 months later I run a Carfax report that tells me there is cosmetic in the front end Which I did not confuse because there was a scratch on the rear bumper and that’s where the salesman said it was on the Carfax. I never took it back for the smog but it sure seems that somehow they didn’t a fake smog.

After about five months they left me a few messages asking me to take a picture of the sticker underneath the hood and send it to them. Well the sticker is tells the emissions information. I found out I can make a claim against their bond. Attorneys only want to deal with easy cases as I think it’s OK for someone to sell a car without getting a smog. I did call the dealer that I purchased it from after the clutch repair and the control arms were replaced .

He was trying to sweet talk me told me to bring the car down he want to have his mechanics look at it when I know good and well that all he wanted to see what the sticker under the hood I haven’t taken it back there. This is only part of my headache"

that massive block of text was a headache :). never buy used cars from dealers. never get your car serviced by dealers. dealers are for buying new cars and warranty work only.

#18 ·
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with a dealer.
Just as An after thought; I always record conversations with car dealers and the like on my cell phone (audio). I can delete it later if I want to. Just so I have a reference of what was actually said.
In New Zealand it is lawful to record a conversation as long as you are participating in it, not sure in the US.
Good luck.

#19 · (Edited)
I believe it's really unlawful if you plan to use it in an unlawful manner - ie. blackmail. However, if you are recording it so that you can take notes later on, there shouldn't too much of an issue. Besides, you can always tell the dealership that you are recording this call so that you can take notes later on or even share it with them so everyone has the same understanding of what was said and by whom. Will they not want to deal with you? Maybe... but then you'll have a record that they hung up...

#21 · (Edited)
Correct, in California both parties must agree to the recording. In NY, only one party must "agree."

At El Cajon Subaru, the GM is Beau Watling, Mike Misbrener is listed as the "sales desk" manager. Juan Reynoso is the Used Car Sales Manager. Emails are on the dealer's website.

#24 ·
OP posted her complaint multiple times in different threads and categories. I don't know what she wants from us, but she seems to want it pretty urgently.

If everything she said were true, it would look like she got a bum deal, but her accusations contain a lot of guesses. The attorney she's consulted is behaving like there's no case. The deal is a year old, long since done and over with.

OP: When you buy a used car, you're buying it as it sits. It's not going to be exactly like a new car, and it's up to you to evaluate the car and decide whether you can live with its flaws. You didn't do that. A missing brake pedal cover and broken USB port are obvious things, easy to catch in a cursory inspection. Suspension components rusted to unusability are visible if you look under the car. You apparently didn't check the car out before you bought it, and now it's too late. If you wanted a promise that everything would be perfect, that's called a warranty, and you get that with a new car.

As far as the nav system goes, you bought and paid for a car without nav in it. I don't know from what you wrote if you think you're now entitled to something else, but you're not. Again, you bought a used car. It comes as is.

This falls into the category of "life experiences." Next time you'll know to check these things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.