Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Crosstrek Premium
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Sorry to hear this happened to you but thank you for posting the information (and for your advice). I'm guessing the hitch company limited themselves to replacing the hitch, which is laughable of course.

I saw the bolt plates and was puzzled by why they did not center the bolt seat hole. Looks like bad design.

Because it was the forward bolt holes that ripped, the hitch must have been torqued upwards. Did you hit it on an incline at any point, or were you towing a trailer and went over a nasty bump?

In any case, sorry :(
I didn't hit it on anything. It certainly seems like if I hit it with that force I would have known it.

The metal of the bolt plates seemed way too thin and soft. I'm pretty confident in the durability of the unistrut square washers that I used when I reinstalled it, but the this bolt plates that came with it were suspiciously weak from the start.

·
Registered
93 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Crosstrek Premium
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
What did you end up going with for lugs? Would something like this work?
I bought these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ED766UY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The ones you linked are 12x1.25 and acorn style so they should work.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Crosstrek Premium
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Installed rallitek rock sliders this weekend. They sandwich the pinch weld and seem really sturdy. I was able to stand on them and bounce and they didn't budge.
Install was pretty difficult, and there was more plastic cutting required than the instructions said.

·
Premium Member
2020 Crosstrek Premium 6MT
176 Posts
Those look sharp! They would look great paired with some RRW bumpers!

Reactions: Sarang

·
Premium Member
2020 Crosstrek Premium 6MT
176 Posts
I'm not going to replace bumpers, but I might get bigger tires next time around. I'm jelly of that user who has 245/65R17 mounted.
While those tires look cool, he lost all his climbing power not to mention the stress he is putting on those half shafts at that angle. I am staying at the stock size on mine, at least until I figure out if/how to re-gear everything.

Reactions: Sarang

·
Super Moderator
2020 Crosstrek Premium
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
While those tires look cool, he lost all his climbing power not to mention the stress he is putting on those half shafts at that angle. I am staying at the stock size on mine, at least until I figure out if/how to re-gear everything.
He lost ~7% compared to stock. That might be noticeable, but I don't think it's a deal breaker. It's a trade off for the ride height and tread width. For surfaces like sand, having a bigger contact patch makes a big difference. I think if I needed much more rock crawling capability, I would really consider whether I should just get a more capable vehicle.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,398 Posts
He picked the best color for the car! 😸

The way things are going, we won't be buying new tires any time soon. If we do, I think we'll get the ones @R P has to better protect us from the screws and nails around here... :rolleyes:

Reactions: cbetts

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,936 Posts
He picked the best color for the car! 😸

The way things are going, we won't be buying new tires any time soon. If we do, I think we'll get the ones @R P has to better protect us from the screws and nails around here... :rolleyes:
Nails/screws are inevitable in any tire. While I haven't had them in my K02s yet, have got them in pretty well every car I have owned. Simple fix though, with the plugs. Don't even have to remove the tire in most cases. And have never had a plug fail or start leaking again. Of course you have to do it right, though. Tires shops and dealers don't support that, though, because of liability concerns.

·
Prefers black cats
12,398 Posts
The first one our tire shop that we've used for over a decade wouldn't plug it. Neither would the dealer. Just picked up a screw or nail. $300+ later..

I thought your tires would be more resilient.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I thought your tires would be more resilient.
I said I never had one in my K02s. But wouldn't be surprised if I did, because of how screws/nails get stuck in a tire. The big benefit of the K02s is resistance against sharp rocks, esp the sidewalls where many other tires are vulnerable.

·
Prefers black cats
12,398 Posts
I'm thinking that they may better protect us from the detritus here...

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I'm thinking that they may better protect us from the detritus here...
They might, but that is not why people buy them. Our problem is that we have a lot of construction going on all around us. They sweep the streets regularly, but not enough to catch them all.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek (Sport)
8 Posts
Visual. They are pointless. They make the tires and rims stick out more from the wheel well.
Hey, thanks for the reply! I sorta figured... That's what the Lifted Pickup dudes do and it's personally not an appeal to me. But it seems Tire Rub is a serious thing within the Crosstrek group, wondered if it solved any of that by chance haha

·
Super Moderator
2020 Crosstrek Premium
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Hey, thanks for the reply! I sorta figured... That's what the Lifted Pickup dudes do and it's personally not an appeal to me. But it seems Tire Rub is a serious thing within the Crosstrek group, wondered if it solved any of that by chance haha
Yeah 99% cosmetic.

To be fair, there aren't really downsides except from mpgs.

From what I can tell lower offset tends to increase rub for crosstrek.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Yeah 99% cosmetic.

To be fair, there aren't really downsides except from mpgs.

From what I can tell lower offset tends to increase rub for crosstrek.
Definitely. The whole point in this offset was to allow for smaller tires on vehicles putting them closer to the ground and giving them "better aerodynamics". Aside from the ones who do it for "stance". I just know why it's done on Diesel trucks that hit the drag strips. Allows for wider tires and such. But on the CT's... totally pointless. Also, most people don't realize these things need to be hub centric. I've actually seen some idiot lose a wheel and total their car because they added these things for the looks, and didn't get the hub centric ones. Not even "hard use", just city driving (recklessly, obviously) but it was hilarious. They didn't enjoy me pointing out why it happened.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I installed the cheaper "rally washers" and Primitive skid plates last night. Still need to install the Fumoto valve when I change the oil. The rally washers fit and look exactly like the LP Adventure versions.
I left the factory front plastic splash shield on with the front skid and it fit just fine. I did have to enlarge the hole in the plastic on the front driver's side bold. No big deal, I didn't even completely remove the plastic!
Here's a couple of pictures of the "rally washers"
View attachment 298747 View attachment 298748
I've always wondered about this for the skid plates since they all leave the sides exposed, good to know its possible to leave it on. Have you noticed any detrimental effects leaving the plastic shield on like melting/burning the plastic? Also, did you get the oil access hole option and if so, does it leave sufficient space to access the oil plug if the plastic shield is still there?

81 - 100 of 102 Posts