Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium; 2010 LGT stage 2+
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

I went out four wheeling on Sunday and had a lot of fun. It's really neat what this car can get up with X-mode on street tires.

I did bash off my driver's rocker panel again and broke two of the clips. Does anyone know what a solution would be for that? I emailed Primitive Racing asking about rock sliders but they do not offer them for the 18+ yet. The rally innovations rocker panel guards look cool, but I'm not really convinced that they'd be functional. I'm pondering how to fab up my own rock sliders, maybe using the jack points on the pinch welds for support. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Went exploring South of the Superstitions yesterday. I am continually impressed at how well this car does on stock tires. It seems like I just pick the correct line, turn on X-mode, and it finds a way to make it up.
I did bash the passenger rocker panel again and two of the clips won't go back in. I'll completely remove and reinstall it when I get a chance so I'm sure it'll be fine. This really reminds me that rock sliders are probably my next needed mod for what I do. I really hate the price of the LP Aventure product, but nobody else seems to make them.
I did have a fun time watching a Jeep do the same slightly hairy ascent that I had just done. It had big tires and a lift and did the whole thing crazy-slowly and without picking any line. Just straight up the center. It's amazing the way some people will baby their super capable off roader. I literally also saw a mini van on the trail.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,441 Posts
It looks a lot like the trails we've done here in Southern California and ours is totally stock. It does really well, even on the washed out areas with deep gulleys. Worst I've done so far is popped off a bit of the front bumper that snapped right back in.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I installed a dash cam this weekend. That was actually much easier than expected, just very time consuming. I went with a Street Guardian and I'm happy with it so far. We'll see how it handles being parked in the sun all day though...

I also got a quote for custom rock sliders: $250+ in material and $720+ in labor. He said he thought that it would probably end up close to $1500 and he wasn't sure that it would actually support the vehicle. I emailed LPAventure and they do guarantee that their sliders will support the vehicle, so their price is looking less awful now. Primitive says that they do plan to offer sliders for the 2018+ but they don't have a timeline yet. I think I'll start saving for the LP sliders and hope that Primitive comes out with some for half the price.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
I installed a dash cam this weekend. That was actually much easier than expected, just very time consuming. I went with a Street Guardian and I'm happy with it so far. We'll see how it handles being parked in the sun all day though...
Which model and where did you mount it? Are you planning on using parking mode?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Which model and where did you mount it? Are you planning on using parking mode?
I am not planning on using parking mode.
I bought it on amazon - Street Guardian SG9663DCPRO 2020 Dual Channel Wi-Fi Dash Camera with GPS, CPL & 128GB MicroSD Card
I installed the rear camera in the center mounted high, and the front camera in front of the driver as close to the center as I felt ok with - trying not to interfere with the eyesight cameras. Pics below.
Install was a pain, mainly because it was over 100F out, but overall it was a success. I ran the cable from the rear camera low along the door sills.
Yes, that's another crack in my windshield. It's in the exact same place as before. I'm pretty frustrated about that.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Installed the draw-tite hitch today. Easy install, but it would have been easier if I completely removed the muffler. Seems sturdy.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
That's exactly where our front cam is. I have been looking for one that draws less power during parking but I may be going in a different direction with that, getting a separate battery for parking mode.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
@AstroKats and @Sarang
Where’d you guys go? Those look like some great routes.
I've done out by the old Bush hwy, out by Peralta trail head, and way out West of the Grand Canyon entrance road on FR 328. If you're in the area and want to have some fun, PM me and I'd be happy to make a recommendation. I swear that's not as suggestive as it sounds...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Went to South Bass trail head this weekend. We were tho only ones there at the parking area. Camped nearby in the forest and explored some more of the forest roads. We found a creepy abandoned forestry cabin with a desiccated cow corpse outside it. Traffic was stupid on the way back last evening, so ACC was a real blessing.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Dropped it off at the dealer today for the windshield replacement and some warranty issues:
1. Head unit does not shut off when you turn off the car. I can put it in park, hit the button and the engine shuts off, get out, lock the car and walk away, and when I return in ten minutes the radio is still on. I am able to hold the head unit's power button down for a few seconds to manually turn it off. Sometimes, it does seem to time out, so maybe running the battery down isn't an issue. I searched thru the settings and could not find anything related to this.
2. When turning the car on with remote start (via the app), it will not allow me to take control and drive away. I start the car from my phone, walk out to it and unlock it, get inside and press the brake and the start button, and nothing happens. It continues to run, does not let me shift out of park, but does let me adjust the climate and radio controls. After the remote start times out and shuts the car back off, it lets me start back up and drive like normal.
3. Intermittently the power windows do not respond to the switches on the driver door. Mostly it does work, but I did have to drive home with a cracked window the other day.
4. The rear hatch intermittently does not seem to recognize my proximity key. I walk up to the hatch with they key in my pocket, hit the button on the hatch, and nothing. I take the key out and hold it close, nothing. Lock and unlock the door via the remote, nothing. This has happened with the car running and with it off.

So these are pretty annoying and it's starting to feel like they're piling up. We'll see what the dealer can do I suppose.
For reference: I have not replaced the car battery or any batteries in the fobs.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
127 Posts
Went to South Bass trail head this weekend. We were tho only ones there at the parking area. Camped nearby in the forest and explored some more of the forest roads. We found a creepy abandoned forestry cabin with a desiccated cow corpse outside it. Traffic was stupid on the way back last evening, so ACC was a real blessing. View attachment 300050 View attachment 300052 View attachment 300053 View attachment 300054
Sarang:
Beautiful pictures; but that one really bothers me.
That is a mighty big hole in the ground- do you have a gopher problem?
I know a guy, Carl something-or-another.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts