Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2014 White XV
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nested in the Silverado Canyon of Orange County is the trailhead of Maple Springs Road, gateway to Santiago and Modjeska Peak! At the peak, adventurous Crosstreks are rewarded with views of the Pacific Ocean and Catalina Island as well as Mt Baldy and Lake Elsinore, sometimes even great cell reception!
The trip is divided into two parts: Maple Springs Road [MSR] (5S04) and North Main Divide Road (3S04). Maple Springs Road can be conquered by any stock Crosstrek (AT tires recommended) - if you’re wary, just follow the off-roading rule of “Drive slow whenever possible and fast whenever necessary.” I even saw a minivan and sedan coming down from the end of MSR, although to be fair, the sedan lost its bumper and front tire coming down. At the top of MSR and before going to North Main Divide, theres a vista where you can see Mt Baldy and the Inland Empire, still a great view if you decide not to go all the way to the top! The first picture is me and a parked buddy (hopefully their owner is on here) at the MSR vista - you can even see Catalina Island in between us!
The second half of this trip is up North Main Divide and is a little more technical, though at the top I did see what appeared to be a more current stock Outback. There are a lot more rocks and bumps on this half, and at the summit of Santiago Peak there are some side trails with deep ruts that I doubt even my lifted Crosstrek could attempt; there are plenty of ways to get around on the summit tho! Regardless, like I said at the beginning, the views are worth it! The second and third picture are from Santiago Peak.
Just a heads up that if you go on the weekend, there’ll be traffic on either road so be patient and enjoy the drive! If you’re ever thinking about doing this run and would like some company, post in the Event and Meetups section and include SoCal/OC/MSR in the title or just PM me! Thanks for reading this far, happy Crosstrekking!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey! That's me! I'm actually a pretty new CrossTrek owner (just got it ~2 months ago, and loving it ever since). A friend sent me a link to this forum, and was amazed to see my vehicle on the front page.

I was actually hiking the trail, and saw you driving up as I was coming back down. My thought was "Cool! another CrossTrek!"

For everyone else, this trail has some amazing views, and would definitely recommend. Just make sure to bring plenty of water, as it was very warm out there yesterday.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1,174 Posts
I'm down that way next weekend. I think I'll give it a go. Reminds me of the the "Old Pacific Coast Highway" which you catch off of Highway 1, near Andrew Molera State Park (coming from the South) with some pretty views of some very distant places. Thanks for posting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts