Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Premium
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I‘ve read quite a few reviews of the Crosstrek, before and after I bought one last summer. I’m sure most folks have read how the reviewers almost unanimously felt the car is underpowered with the stock 2.0 liter engine.
I have the Premium trim with the 2.0 and haven’t been disappointed by the performance.
I wonder if the reviewers utilized the ‘S’ and ‘I’ transmission modes?
when I switch into the ‘S’ mode, I get all the get up and go I need.
Merging into traffic is a breeze and passing on a highway seems easy.
The gas mileage takes a hit but not too too bad.

·
Needs a Butch car
2020 Crosstrek Premium
914 Posts
I would agree that the 2.0 is adequate. It's like some people don't like to use all of the accelerator pedal's travel. I don't really think S mode adds any power, but it seems to keep the revs a little higher all the time and gets going with less pedal movement.
It's not fast or anything, but of course I knew that going in.

·
Registered
2021 Premium CVT
15 Posts
I feel the same way. I just got out of a Honda Fit and compared to that, my '21 has PLENTY of power. I never worry about pulling out in traffic. I mean the car is not Lambo or anything but it has enough power to get out of it's own way.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
lol.

I talked my wife into "racing" me up to 50mph from the stop light. Me in a 2020 Impreza Sport. With the S button pushed. Her in a 2021 Xtrek Sport.
I got the jump off the line. At 50, she was blowing past me. lol
When we got home, she asked, "Was I supposed to push the gas all the way down?"

lol.

So we tried it again last weekend, same stop light. This time, I told her to push the S button and punch it.
The light turned green. We both went to go, but hers had shut off. lol.
So I got the jump again while hers restarted.
Sure enough, at 50 she was blowing past me.

The 2.0 isn't underpowered. Or you've never owned a Subaru with 82 hp to compare it to. But the 2.5 has more scoot.

·
Needs a Butch car
2020 Crosstrek Premium
914 Posts
lol.

I talked my wife into "racing" me up to 50mph from the stop light. Me in a 2020 Impreza Sport. With the S button pushed. Her in a 2021 Xtrek Sport.
I got the jump off the line. At 50, she was blowing past me. lol
When we got home, she asked, "Was I supposed to push the gas all the way down?"

lol.

So we tried it again last weekend, same stop light. This time, I told her to push the S button and punch it.
The light turned green. We both went to go, but hers had shut off. lol.
So I got the jump again while hers restarted.
Sure enough, at 50 she was blowing past me.

The 2.0 isn't underpowered. Or you've never owned a Subaru with 82 hp to compare it to. But the 2.5 has more scoot.
My mom like to tell the story about her 82 hp Subaru back in the day and how it was just always floored.
The fact is cars used to be a lot less powerful, and a lot of those are still on the road.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have both engine Models. The S mode changes the throttle response (quicker) and rev higher (lower gear ratio) make it faster off the line that’s about it. btw, I had a Volvo station wagon with a grand total of 168 hp. I was never crashed by cars behind me. That was one of the safety features as well.:p

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
My '18 Forester XT has the S and S#. Its no faster in those. It gets you off the line faster with lower selected ratios. But shifts at the same rpm (WOT). The XT is a comparative beast..lol.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
My mom like to tell the story about her 82 hp Subaru back in the day and how it was just always floored.
The fact is cars used to be a lot less powerful, and a lot of those are still on the road.
This little turbo wagon was like 95hp. lol It had the three speed slush box. Wouldn't spin the tires in the gravel, but would go 90 mph. (which was plenty fast enough, trust me)

Attachments

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
4,401 Posts
I'm guessing that a guy who's experienced at launching a MT Crosstrek might be pretty competitive to the Sport in terms of raw 0-60 times ... but in real-world, everyday driving all my money would be on the Sport.

·
Registered
2021 Sport 2.5 cvt
74 Posts
My thought exactly. Theoretically the CVT should be the perfect transmission for that since it should be able to keep the engine at peak power for the entire pull.
Not sure how many drag cars ever use manual transmissions either, a traditional auto will be faster and far far more consistent.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
3 Posts
I‘ve read quite a few reviews of the Crosstrek, before and after I bought one last summer. I’m sure most folks have read how the reviewers almost unanimously felt the car is underpowered with the stock 2.0 liter engine.
I have the Premium trim with the 2.0 and haven’t been disappointed by the performance.
I wonder if the reviewers utilized the ‘S’ and ‘I’ transmission modes?
when I switch into the ‘S’ mode, I get all the get up and go I need.
Merging into traffic is a breeze and passing on a highway seems easy.
The gas mileage takes a hit but not too too bad.
The S mode works great on the freeway. I have toggled back and forth between S/I and the S kicks it up a notch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts