Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my 2015 cross trek, but I've seen a lot of post about rusting underneath the car. But today i was clay barring and waxing my car and i found a spot of rust on my back lift gate. It was a speck, but rusted. I get chips in my front bumper yet never rust. This is in a spot above the rear cross trek logo which is hard to get chipped. is this common? I live in NY BTW.

Also What should i do? bring it back to the dealer or should i just put WD40 to remove the rust before using a paint correction pen to fix it? I've never seen a modern car rust like this.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,067 Posts
If you live in an area where corrosive material (such as salt) are put on your roads in the winter time, it is normal for a chip down to bare metal to rust like that. I don't think the dealer has any responsibility to repair unless you purchased some kind of paint or rust prevention package when you bought the car. If you use WD40 to remove the rust be sure to clean the area with isopropyl alcohol before applying touch-up paint.

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
1,043 Posts
I've got chips like that on my hood. Very annoying but also expected considering my commute.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rust converter on a cotton tip or fine brush . Then very carefully fine steel wool then touch up paint and wet and dry then a dab of clear nail polish of 2k clear in a can spray it in a lid and brush on . Then buff lightly

·
Registered
1,388 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Rust converter on a cotton tip or fine brush . Then very carefully fine steel wool then touch up paint and wet and dry then a dab of clear nail polish of 2k clear in a can spray it in a lid and brush on . Then buff lightly
That is overkill for something like this. Just use a paint pen from the dealer, it has a fiberglass tip to remove the rust, then dab on a little color then use the clear.

Too easy to mess up for such a small spot.

It definitely had some sort of Knick in it as it shouldn’t be rust in the middle of a panel like that.

Manufacturer warranty is only for perforations (holes)

You really should fluid film your car if you care about keeping the rust away longer.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
That is overkill for something like this. Just use a paint pen from the dealer, it has a fiberglass tip to remove the rust, then dab on a little color then use the clear.

Removing the rust with the fiberglass tip will leave some rust, that will spread under the repair.
Rust-Oleum Rust Reformer prevents this from happening.

·
Registered
729 Posts

Too easy to mess up for such a small spot.

It definitely had some sort of Knick in it as it shouldn’t be rust in the middle of a panel like that.

Manufacturer warranty is only for perforations (holes)

You really should fluid film your car if you care about keeping the rust away longer.

that's a pretty extreme solution. I can imagine the freakout if he gets a door ding

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yea I mean doing all that and spraying clear is if you want it to look perfect like new. Most people don’t care that much or don’t have the skills or are worried about making it worse.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts