Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

Rusting 18 crosstrek

Model Years 2018 to 2023 
9K views 51 replies 11 participants last post by  Whatswong 
#1 ·
Hello, so, I found this today...anyone else having this same issue? It's the strut mounts. The rubber cap doesn't seem to form a tight enough seal.

Attachments

See less See more
#13 ·
Was this is a free of charge service, kind of like a recall notice, or wad there a fee associated with this fix? Is it a warranty issue?
If your car is under the warranty or if it’s under the extended warranty, on the TSB at the last page, there’s a warranty number for the dealership to use when claiming. I’m not too sure how it would work when your car is outside of the warranty period but I’m assuming it’s still free.

#9 ·
I have the same issue as you. I have a 2019 Crosstrek with the updated cover and my passenger side is rusted out. My driver side has a spec of surface rust on the bolt but it didn’t affect the mount. It appears that I didn’t get the rust proofing on my car. I guess they failed to do that during the PDI that costs an arm and leg for...

#21 ·
I just went out & hit mine with some fluid film. we’ll see how that does for the winter. was no rust yet. looking at these pics & how the 3 mounting bolts for the strut assembly on everybodys looks fine compared to the strut top bolt I have to wonder if we would be better off just throwing the dust caps away? instead of trapping moisture in there.

Pre-Delivery Inspection is 1500? is that standard in 🇨🇦? if so that’s ripoff.

#24 ·
The TSB is supposed to “rectify” the issue by replacing the dust cap since it will have a tighter fit and the lips were redesigned so moisture won’t seep in. (I have the updated cap and it doesn’t do anything!)

They’re supposed to apply a coating to reduce the chance of rust forming on the nut. If your build up is bad just like mine, you should hear a clunking sound when going over speed bumps, that’s what I hear when I go over any bumper that has significant movement on the strut.

#42 ·
This afternoon from the dealer I ordered the bigger and better shock tower dust caps for a cost of $8.51. That's a small price to pay in exchange for the hassle of making an appointment, checking in, waiting 2 hours in their crowded waiting room with the risk of dropping dead from that lurking insidious beer virus. It's for this reason that I have always changed my own oil. The dealer sees me only for their free periodic inspections and stuff I can't take care of myself.

#50 ·
I just went out and did a physical assessment of the new caps. THERE IS A SLIT! It's subtle but nevertheless there and accounted for. But in application I suspect that any pressure would dislodge the cap before it could be relieved thru the slit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.