Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
I just went out & hit mine with some fluid film. we’ll see how that does for the winter. was no rust yet. looking at these pics & how the 3 mounting bolts for the strut assembly on everybodys looks fine compared to the strut top bolt I have to wonder if we would be better off just throwing the dust caps away? instead of trapping moisture in there.

Pre-Delivery Inspection is 1500? is that standard in 🇨🇦? if so that’s ripoff.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
197 Posts
I just went out & hit mine with some fluid film. we’ll see how that does for the winter. was no rust yet. looking at these pics & how the 3 mounting bolts for the strut assembly on everybodys looks fine compared to the strut top bolt I have to wonder if we would be better off just throwing the dust caps away? instead of trapping moisture in there.

Pre-Delivery Inspection is 1500? is that standard in 🇨🇦? if so that’s ripoff.
Yeah... PDI is around that price. It’s all the added taxes.

I checked my purchase agreement and PDI was $1,725. On Subaru Canada’s website it’s listed as $1,800.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I popped the cap on mine which exposed alot of white buildup and rust. I have an appt at the dealer on Nov 30. I did some research and didn't see where this issue was addressed per a TSB. We'll see what they say.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I popped the cap on mine which exposed alot of white buildup and rust. I have an appt at the dealer on Nov 30. I did some research and didn't see where this issue was addressed per a TSB. We'll see what they say.
The TSB is supposed to “rectify” the issue by replacing the dust cap since it will have a tighter fit and the lips were redesigned so moisture won’t seep in. (I have the updated cap and it doesn’t do anything!)

They’re supposed to apply a coating to reduce the chance of rust forming on the nut. If your build up is bad just like mine, you should hear a clunking sound when going over speed bumps, that’s what I hear when I go over any bumper that has significant movement on the strut.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
They’re supposed to apply a coating to reduce the chance of rust forming on the nut. If your build up is bad just like mine, you should hear a clunking sound when going over speed bumps, that’s what I hear when I go over any bumper that has significant movement on the strut.
I wonder if it's considered "rust perforation" for which there is a 5-yr/50K-mile warranty. If it's gonna cause a hassle, I'll just clean it up my self and spray it with primer.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I wonder if it's considered "rust perforation" for which there is a 5-yr/50K-mile warranty. If it's gonna cause a hassle, I'll just clean it up my self and spray it with primer.
You make a good point about the warranty coverage. As long as your strut mount is clunking when going over bumps you should be fine with cleaning it yourself.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I take back my previous post about having larger caps on my 17. They only cover the center hole. I wonder if those larger caps will fit? I wouldn't mind getting a set.

Reactions: Arthur

·
Registered
197 Posts
I take back my previous post about having larger caps on my 17. They only cover the center hole. I wonder if those larger caps will fit? I wouldn't mind getting a set.
I wouldn’t even bother. The smaller cover is actually better than the large one, (that’s my opinion based on the photo I looked up of the first Gen Crosstrek.)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I wouldn’t even bother. The smaller cover is actually better than the large one, (that’s my opinion based on the photo I looked up of the first Gen Crosstrek.)
Your probably right.... After checking them again I added some fresh lube. Should be good for the winter.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
This morning I went in and cleaned the crud out of the strut tower well, scraped as much of the white crud buildup on the nut as I could then sprayed the whole area with Liquid Wrench silicone. I then coated the cap sealing area with silicone grease. I thimk I'm set for a while. 🤠

·
Registered
30 Posts
This morning I went in and cleaned the crud out of the strut tower well, scraped as much of the white crud buildup on the nut as I could then sprayed the whole area with Liquid Wrench silicone. I then coated the cap sealing area with silicone grease. I thimk I'm set for a while. 🤠
Why do you do all the work if dealer should do it for free?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've also changed my own oil since day 1.
He does have a point here, if your Subaru put out a TSB for you to get it repaired for free you should take advantage of it. Also, please don’t start an oil thread🥴😅

·
Registered
197 Posts
Why do you do all the work if dealer should do it for free?
Personally, I would get the dealership to fix it then I would keep up with the maintenance myself so the rust doesn’t appear again. That’s just me though...

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
If your Subaru put out a TSB for you to get it repaired for free you should take advantage of it. Also, please don’t start an oil thread🥴😅
The service adviser said that there were no TSBs on the issue. An oil thread? Do we need one for the benefit of all the noobs that have joined the forum recently and don't know about the search function or don't want to take the time??? 🤡

·
Registered
197 Posts
The service adviser said that there were no TSBs on the issue. An oil thread? Do we need one for the benefit of all the noobs that have joined the forum recently and don't know about the search function or don't want to take the time??? 🤡
Go find another dealership if you have a **** advisor, go complain to the manager about it, and the TSB is available on the NHTSA website for you to find. Not my problem if you can’t figure it out for yourself!!! One of the members said why don’t you take it in for the dealership to fix it? (Since Subaru is aware of the issue and has put forward a solution to the problem.) You said you “I do my own oil change since day one.” What the hell does that have anything to do with the rust on the strut mount? You sir, are the 🤡

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Go find another dealership if you have a **** advisor, go complain to the manager about it, and the TSB is available on the NHTSA website for you to find. Not my problem if you can’t figure it out for yourself!!! One of the members said why don’t you take it in for the dealership to fix it? (Since Subaru is aware of the issue and has put forward a solution to the problem.) You said you “I do my own oil change since day one.” What the hell does that have anything to do with the rust on the strut mount? You sir, are the 🤡
Gee what a nice guy you are! You need to go find and join an ***hole forum.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Gee what a nice guy you are! You need to go find and join an ***hole forum.
Why thank you, a lot of my friends and family say I am a nice guy. I’ll definitely take your advice and join an ***hole forum. Have a good night.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts