Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
The dealership has directions in TSB SB 05.06.18 to address it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes. There is a service bulletin. Dealer suppose clean it and spray and rust proof the strut tower. If your dealer never told you when you took it in for service, go to find a new dealer service dept.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes. There is a service bulletin. Dealer suppose clean it and spray and rust proof the strut tower. If your dealer never told you when you took it in for service, go to find a new dealer service dept.
looks like i'll have to find a new dealer service dept. not once had this been mentioned to me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
looks like i'll have to find a new dealer service dept. not once had this been mentioned to me.
I had to bring it up with with the service manager. The first time the tech only put on the newer/wider cap. I had to bring it up to the head service manager. I was pissed.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
209 Posts
I have the same issue as you. I have a 2019 Crosstrek with the updated cover and my passenger side is rusted out. My driver side has a spec of surface rust on the bolt but it didn’t affect the mount. It appears that I didn’t get the rust proofing on my car. I guess they failed to do that during the PDI that costs an arm and leg for...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had to bring it up with with the service manager. The first time the tech only put on the newer/wider cap. I had to bring it up to the head service manager. I was pissed.
Was this is a free of charge service, kind of like a recall notice, or wad there a fee associated with this fix? Is it a warranty issue?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Was this is a free of charge service, kind of like a recall notice, or wad there a fee associated with this fix? Is it a warranty issue?
If your car is under the warranty or if it’s under the extended warranty, on the TSB at the last page, there’s a warranty number for the dealership to use when claiming. I’m not too sure how it would work when your car is outside of the warranty period but I’m assuming it’s still free.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think my 17 has the wider strut caps but I still pop them off once in a while to check for rust and also filled them with grease. So far so good.

·
Registered
209 Posts
If you are out of warranty and dont want to waste your time at the dealership, here is a link to the larger caps:

Larger Strut Cap
Subaru should rust proof the strut mount during the factory build. I have the updated caps and it still did NOT do anything. But I also blame my dealership for not doing their job during the PDI...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Subaru should rust proof the strut mount during the factory build. I have the updated caps and it still did NOT do anything. But I also blame my dealership for not doing their job during the PDI...
I wouldn't use the term "rust proof". You mean "scotch-bright off existing rust and paint with Rustoleum". I sure hope you dont go crawling around under your crosstrek after driving on those salty Canadien roads - you might not like what you find. :oops:

·
Registered
209 Posts
I wouldn't use the term "rust proof". You mean "scotch-bright off existing rust and paint with Rustoleum". I sure hope you dont go crawling around under your crosstrek after driving on those salty Canadien roads - you might not like what you find. :oops:
LMAO! I wash my car religiously during the winter time. I did the same with the previous car and it didn’t rust out. Only thing that rusted out were the front and rear cross members. (Those had an extended warranty for rusting prematurely.)
I agree with the terminology. Shouldn’t have called it “roof proofing.” But I still think Subaru should use some type of coating to reduce the chances of rusting. Even with the larger caps did not help combat the rust from appearing.
Car still looks clean when I look under it 😜. Weather is pretty mild in Ontario, I didn’t even switch over to my winter tires yet!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Rustoleum Rust Reformer does a good job stopping rust. It seals it keeping 02 away.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Rustoleum Rust Reformer does a good job stopping rust. It seals it keeping 02 away.
Good to know. I’ll bring this up to my service advisor on Monday because PDI is like $1,500, and they can’t do a simple job and use Rustoleum Rust Reformer.🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

1 - 20 of 44 Posts