Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. This is my first post on the forum. :)

I've owned my 2019 Crosstrek Sport since October 2019 (purchased new). Has anyone else here experienced rust stains on the paint directly below all four door handles and both side mirrors?

I am meticulous with my vehicle, had it rustproofed (Ziebart) from day one. I live in Eastern Ontario where a lot of road salt is applied during the winter, so corrosion protection is a must. I have been told that the fasteners/bolts inside the mirrors and door handles are rusting and causing these stains on the paint. This should not be happening to what I consider to be an almost new vehicle!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts

I've owned my 2019 Crosstrek Sport since October 2019 (purchased new). Has anyone else here experienced rust stains on the paint directly below all four door handles and both side mirrors?

I am meticulous with my vehicle, had it rustproofed (Ziebart) from day one. I live in Eastern Ontario where a lot of road salt is applied during the winter, so corrosion protection is a must. I have been told that the fasteners/bolts inside the mirrors and door handles are rusting and causing these stains on the paint. This should not be happening to what I consider to be an almost new vehicle!
pics or it didn't happen

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
13,234 Posts

Not something I've seen reported here. Can you post some pics.

Is it still under warranty? What does the dealer say?

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
978 Posts
What might've happened is water stains drip from the door handle/mirror area causing this issue, and dry up over time However, I don't have this issue on my Limited. You should still be within the factory warranty period unless you drove in excess of the mileage.

My friend who works at Mazda says this is an issue on their older 3's (third generation).

If it's rust stains like I had, kinda looks like a small flake, you can remove those using a clay bar because that's coming from other road users and not from the body rusting out.

Pictures would help us see what it looks like.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for your feedback. :)

The car was buffed/polished/Diamond Gloss applied yesterday when it was taken to Ziebart for the annual rust inspection. Thankfully, the stains are no longer visible. When they come back - and they likely will - I'll post pictures. Yes - I should have taken pictures before yesterday, but I did assume that this was just water staining or dirt. But it never came off in the car wash.

It was the Ziebart technician who pointed out that he sees stains like this more frequently now on many car makes, and he believes that they're due to water getting into the mirror housing and handles and rusting the fasteners. I've been taking my cars to that location for detailing for 17 years, so I do trust them.

The car is still under full warranty and only ~8000 km due to very little driving during the pandemic. I've contacted Subaru Canada and am waiting for a reply. I've called the dealership and they've never heard of this problem. I'd hope that Subaru would use galvanised metal for these fasteners. I'm trying to get an answer on that.

I never encountered these stains on my previous car, a 2004 Toyota Matrix that lasted 16 years.

I'll post pictures when the stains return... I'm certain they will. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
2019 Limited with Eyesight
428 Posts
Not seeing this on my 2019 Limited. I also live in eastern Ontario.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Warranty for rust only covers perforation (holes) but not saying the dealer won’t do something about it.

is it possible it is just dirt that collected in those locations then dripped down with rainwater?

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
2,008 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
978 Posts
I think you had rust stains/flakes as I mentioned. I had a few around the car, mostly on the rear door/bumper. Clay bar was able to remove them.

·
Registered
2020 Pearl White Crosstrek Sport with Eyesight, CVT
246 Posts
I live in the Ottawa area and use Krown every year. Lots of winter salt and lots of highway driving. I've never had anything like that but I notice tiny "rusty" pinmarks on the paint. It will come off with a soapy wash.

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
13,234 Posts
I live in the Ottawa area and use Krown every year. Lots of winter salt and lots of highway driving. I've never had anything like that but I notice tiny "rusty" pinmarks on the paint. It will come off with a soapy wash.
There was another thread about this. They're tiny metal particles from train tracks, etc. that land on the car and then rust.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's definitely strange if its actual rust. I had some really bad rust on a different cars door. Treating the rust (or getting the dealership to treat it) should be priority, I would think. If the rust stains are really bad, wetsanding will do wonders. That's the method I had to use for my car door.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts