Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
We just bought our first new Subaru and noticed that there is some rust colouration on the undercarriage which had me alarmed. We have had it less than one month and store in the garage. The sales person that sold us the car told us he was waiting to hear back from service...I did not crawl under the car at the dealership as it was supposed to be a undriven car and it only had <20 km on it.
Would appreciate thoughts and recommendations, thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
Crosstrek Outdoor, JDM Legacy 2.0 GT spec.B
525 Posts
Ours had this - noticeable even after 'undercoating' which was done by the Mitsubishi dealership next door apparently :unsure:
Anyway - no worse 2 years later...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Completely normal. You can buy cans of Corrosion Stop spray and coat these areas for less than $10 if you like. I use this undercoating spray on my 2004 350z to keep the bolts rust free for easy maintenance and also on our Subarus since Chicago uses lots of salt in winter.
Liquid Fluid Automotive tire Bottle Plastic bottle

·
Resident Curmudgeon
2020 Crosstrek Limited
1,433 Posts
The areas you are seeing are machined surfaces so they have no paint on them, Perfectly normal for all brands of cars. It's not like a body panel which if you did see rust would be bad.
Yes, perfectly normal, there are several untreated solid metal surfaces like that underneath the car that will develop surface rust. Surface rust on solid metal is not a problem- in that it will never rust through like sheet metal would.

·
Registered
2023 Crosstrek Sport (Canadian) in Magnetite Gray Metallic
80 Posts
Those look like places that will move/rub against each other when the suspension moves. Is this correct? Would the products mentioned above still work in such places?

Also, are those places usually covered by rust proofing from the dealer? I got it when I bough my car, but wondering if I could be putting additional protection on...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Those look like places that will move/rub against each other when the suspension moves. Is this correct? Would the products mentioned above still work in such places?

It can be rubbed away, but I reapply every year or two anyway. This stuff is about 6 bucks a can, but it has a very strong smell so use in a ventilated area and place a piece of cardboard or paper on the ground to collect any overspray. Try not to get any on the brakes, cables, or other non metal parts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi everyone,
We just bought our first new Subaru and noticed that there is some rust colouration on the undercarriage which had me alarmed. We have had it less than one month and store in the garage. The sales person that sold us the car told us he was waiting to hear back from service...I did not crawl under the car at the dealership as it was supposed to be a undriven car and it only had <20 km on it.
Would appreciate thoughts and recommendations, thanks in advance.
They are all like this. I bought a bottle of Rust Reformer from Amazon and brush this on everything rusty just to satisfy myself.

·
Registered
2023 Crosstrek limited cvt
2 Posts
A lot of cast and solid metal parts are designed to develop a layer of surface rust to actually prevent further rusting. It’s easier than trying to keep a coating of some type on them. And cheaper. Granted it doesn’t always look the best…

·
Registered
2023 Dark Blue Pearl Crosstrek Sport with Eyesight, CVT
402 Posts
I hate rust!!! While these areas would likely never rust enough to cause problems, I have my cars undersprayed by Krown, to even have the underbody look better. Maybe its just me?

·
Registered
2018 Premium MT
127 Posts
I hate rust!!! While these areas would likely never rust enough to cause problems, I have my cars undersprayed by Krown, to even have the underbody look better. Maybe its just me?
It's not just you. I cleaned the rust from where ever I could see it, treated the metal and then coated it with POR 15. I feel your pain.

Doug

1 - 13 of 13 Posts