Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2016 XV Crosstrek Premium manual. Now that I've had the car for a few weeks, I'm finding I need to start using the roof rack. What trim comes with the factory crossbars installed? Or is that an option on all trims? Since mine didn't come with them, I'm likely going to go Thule. Most likely using their aero cross bars. Any tips?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Factory ones are an option to get from dealer/online for any. They aren't the most robust, with plastic end caps. And aren't locking. Few people have had bikes crack and break them.

Yakima makes some round bar ones, that are much more robust, and locking. But not aero.

They also make some aero ones that are locking.

Not familiar with Thule, but they probably have offerings on par with Yakima.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for the info on the factory bars. I won't pursue those then. I've been using Thule for years, I think I'll stick with those. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here is what I got: http://smile.amazon.com/49-75-Roof-...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Now, keep in mind, I don't intend to use mine for bikes on top. I have a hitch for that. I needed something that would allow me to put a cargo bag or longer items on top if need be, and these feel very solid and I don't forsee any issues on that front, though I haven't had a chance to use them yet.

Personally I just have a hard time imagining spending over $100 on two metal bars.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the link. I spend a lot of racks, but different strokes for different folks. If you were running your race bikes on the roof instead of a hitch, you wouldn't do sub $100 racks. I'm not running a hitch mount for bike, but for years I've run kayaks, windsurf boards, sufboards, etc, on the roof. Some of those windsurf boards cost around $1500. I'll try them only to superb racks.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Factory ones are an option to get from dealer/online for any. They aren't the most robust, with plastic end caps. And aren't locking. Few people have had bikes crack and break them.

Yakima makes some round bar ones, that are much more robust, and locking. But not aero.

They also make some aero ones that are locking.

Not familiar with Thule, but they probably have offerings on par with Yakima.
Not sure about breaking bikes because i keep mine on the hitch rack but the OEM aero bars are rock solid for me! i carry my 14fy 87# kayak up top about 2-3 times a week and travel anwhere from 7-1200 miles with it up there and i have had ZERO issues. no you cant lock them but if someone really wants them that doesnt matter anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the link. I spend a lot of racks, but different strokes for different folks. If you were running your race bikes on the roof instead of a hitch, you wouldn't do sub $100 racks. I'm not running a hitch mount for bike, but for years I've run kayaks, windsurf boards, sufboards, etc, on the roof. Some of those windsurf boards cost around $1500. I'll try them only to superb racks.
I could not agree more. I carry expensive bikes, which is why I use Yakima racks. I have had them for many years and have used them on five (5) different vehicles with different available adapters. I will again be using the same racks on my new 2016 Crosstrek as soon as it comes in next month. Needless to say, the initial investment was well worth every penny!!

Again, good luck in choosing a set of quality racks for your well deserving expensive toys.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not sure about breaking bikes because i keep mine on the hitch rack but the OEM aero bars are rock solid for me! i carry my 14fy 87# kayak up top about 2-3 times a week and travel anwhere from 7-1200 miles with it up there and i have had ZERO issues. no you cant lock them but if someone really wants them that doesnt matter anyway.
How hard is it to remove the rack if there's a cargo box mounted on it? I'm planning a road trip and will keep the box on top of the car for an extended period of time. I've been debating between the OEM bars and the Thule Aeroblade Edge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts