Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

Roof baskets light weight

Applies to All Model Years 
2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Renee 
#1 ·
Hello fellow crosstrekers I’m interested in getting A roof basket to haul my beach stuff when I get to have vacation. I’ve seen the Thule it’s Subaru recommends however is very expensive and very heavy. I am a senior citizen and really don’t want anything too heavy that I can’t do myself. I have the crossbars on my car as that was an accessory that it came with so I just need the basket. Can anybody provide some information and pictures if possible of what you would recommend I really appreciate it and I can’t wait to post pictures of my 2021 crosstrek thank you Renee OK

#2 ·
I have the Curt basket. I don't find it too heavy and so far I've been able to manage getting it on and off without assistance. I guess I qualify as a "senior citizen", been retired for 12 years, even though I still haven't figured out what I'm going to do when I grow up.

#4 ·
Do you park in a garage? Would it be possible to get a pulley system installed to lift the basket over your car for installation/removal?

Larger items like a basket I don't really like to do myself, too much risk of damaging something. Would a hitch and hitch mounted box be an option?

#5 ·
Any reason not to get a hitch mounted basket? I've ordered one for my mother specifically for her "beach mess" aka chairs, blankets etc. so she can get herself to and from vacation without lifting anything up high and without destroying her interior with sand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.