Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the Rockford Fosgate upgrade kit in my 2019 Crosstrek a few months back. I am considering adding aftermarket speakers to the rear doors. Does the included amp also power the rears or just the front speakers? I am trying to balance out the speakers a bit.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
The headunit uses two harnesses for the speakers.

The 10-pin has the fornt speaker wires, alongside the necessary connections to power the radio.
The 6-pin only deals with the rear speakers.

The RF powers the rears because the hardware connects to both harnesses.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I was hoping this was the case but wanted to see if anyone had some knowledge on it before I ordered rear speakers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am thinking about just sticking with Rockford Fosgate and getting a pair of the R165X3. They have great reviews. They’re cheap and should get full power (45 RMS) from the amp.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
178 Posts
Thanks! Please let us know how it turns out. I don't have a lot of experience with car audio so I like to read what other are doing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No problem, will do! I prefer to stick with OEM as much as possible. It’s less of a headache. The rear speakers will be simple with the install kit. No splicing wires.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Sport
8 Posts
'21 XV Sport 8" screen.
Good morning all! I wanted to followup on this thread to hear (no pun intended) about others experiences upgrading the rear speakers after an RF upgrade. I as well replaced the rear with the R165X3s and I am not impressed. Sure, the wiring from the amp appears to power these speakers, but they seem quiet and they for sure have less low end than the factory speakers. I did one door at a time and compared... Anyone else experience this? I know someone on here will be "you should have got better speakers", and I am considering more of a "sub style" speaker depending on others insight.
One more.... anyone ever use the subwoofer connectors on the amp? seems like a waste! thoughts?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I contacted RF about the amp. That sub connection on the amp is not functional and there are no options to use it. From my experience, the rear speaker wires are just unboosted pass through with the amp. The amp only boosts the front speakers. The rear speakers need their own amp.

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,667 Posts
I know someone on here will be "you should have got better speakers", and I am considering more of a "sub style" speaker depending on others insight.
I'll be the one to say you shouldn't have even bothered. The way rear speakers are placed and balanced in our vehicles make them nothing more than a faint whisper with no real effect on quality. And I did the same as you, only twice, and added an external amp before I came to that conclusion. As for sub style in the rears, it is a good idea if they worked, but they don't. My nephew has been in the business for 20 years and I asked him the same and he said they are just too small, especially placed where they are and can't push the air effectively. I tell everyone. put your time and money up front. That is where it really matters. How do you like the RF upgrades overall?

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Sport
8 Posts
From the comments, maybe I should take the 6.5s with better low end out of my cart... In the past, I have been able to get good response out of 6.5s, however if the RF amp is not powering them, then it is not worth the time to upgrade.
Overall the RF amp/front speaker upgrade has been great. The sound is way cleaner, richer and far better low end. Installation was a breeze, but then again I spent a large part of my career unfitting new cars with various types of gear, so jumping in a pulling panels off to run the harness felt like going back "home"...

·
Registered
235 Posts
From the comments, maybe I should take the 6.5s with better low end out of my cart... In the past, I have been able to get good response out of 6.5s, however if the RF amp is not powering them, then it is not worth the time to upgrade.
Overall the RF amp/front speaker upgrade has been great. The sound is way cleaner, richer and far better low end. Installation was a breeze, but then again I spent a large part of my career unfitting new cars with various types of gear, so jumping in a pulling panels off to run the harness felt like going back "home"...
the amp does power the rears. Your issue could be related to the ohms of the speakers you put in.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Sport
8 Posts
the amp does power the rears. Your issue could be related to the ohms of the speakers you put in.
The RF R165X3s are 4ohm just as the factory speakers and what is spec'd for 95% of amps out there. Impedance is defiantly not the issue. I am not convinced the amp is NOT actually boosting the rear. Given that the flex 41 amp is fully programmable (by RF only apparently) and the fact that the sub output is verifiably turned off (tested it), the rear outputs are likely set at flat to protect the lower power rated factory speakers.
Just for fun, I did acquire another set of 6.5's that have a much better low end response (on paper) and are geared towards that end vs a full range like the R165X3s. Once it's warmer than 10deg here, I'll pop out and see what difference it makes and compare all three (3) "flavors" I have at my disposal at the moment.
Until then, I must agree with FLCrosstrekker & NoSlushbox4Me statements.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The RF R165X3s are 4ohm just as the factory speakers and what is spec'd for 95% of amps out there. Impedance is defiantly not the issue. I am not convinced the amp is NOT actually boosting the rear. Given that the flex 41 amp is fully programmable (by RF only apparently) and the fact that the sub output is verifiably turned off (tested it), the rear outputs are likely set at flat to protect the lower power rated factory speakers.
Just for fun, I did acquire another set of 6.5's that have a much better low end response (on paper) and are geared towards that end vs a full range like the R165X3s. Once it's warmer than 10deg here, I'll pop out and see what difference it makes and compare all three (3) "flavors" I have at my disposal at the moment.
Until then, I must agree with FLCrosstrekker & NoSlushbox4Me statements.
Did you ever try the 3rd speaker option out, twolfe?

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Sport
8 Posts
I did. Of all three the factory speakers were far better in the rear doors. The amp is apparently set to “pass through” for the rear. A bit of a disappointment really as the added front bass and overall quality is fairly good.
now we know…

·
Registered
18 Posts
I did. Of all three the factory speakers were far better in the rear doors. The amp is apparently set to “pass through” for the rear. A bit of a disappointment really as the added front bass and overall quality is fairly good.
now we know…
Ah ok. Very good to know, thank you. I just bought the RF upgrade kit and was considering rear speakers as well. Seems like there's little point.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Sport
106 Posts
Very interesting information. I have already purchased a pair of RF1675X2 to replace the factory rear door speakers but haven’t installed them yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had it on my crosstrek, It comes with 2 front speakers and a AMP, NO rear speakers included. You reuse or rear speakers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts