Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Outdoor - "Trekov"
148 Posts
Where we are there are signs on all service bay areas that state due to insurance regulations customers are not allowed in the service area.
... and yet, at every one of the various indie auto service shops I've ever frequented, I was always welcome to go into the service bays to speak directly with the techs. I guess they must use different insurers.

• Helpful
Reactions: sas-XV

·
Registered
XV Crosstrek 2014 Premium 2.0i 6MT
179 Posts
Maybe it's because I come from a small town, but I used to think businesses of any kind needed their customers to be satisfied in order to be sustainable and that employees had to give a good customer service to keep their jobs. Yes, corporate policies and insurances and all but I don't care however right she thought she was, how can you scream at a client and threaten him and not anticipate/care about the impact of that behavior on your business relationships? It's like some companies have so many customers and make so much money that it doesn't even bother them to loose you anymore.

Your rights as a consumer are to either complain to the manager and/or bring your business somewhere that still values client satisfaction.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Outdoor - "Trekov"
148 Posts
Maybe it's because I come from a small town, but I used to think businesses of any kind needed their customers to be satisfied in order to be sustainable and that employees had to give a good customer service to keep their jobs.
Haven't you heard? There's a whole new work ethic now. It's called "quiet quitting". It's doing the absolute minimum you can get away with in order to keep getting a paycheck. You will see more and more of this as small businesses are being forced into insolvency, leaving only the big national and multinational chains.

·
Registered
115 Posts
This thread reminds me of a tongue-in-cheek sign which he had posted near the service area:

REPAIR LABOUR RATES
Regular Rate - $6.00 per hour
If you watch - $12.00 per hour
If you help - $18.00 per hour​
This is actually very fair, it takes a lot longer to finish things when you are distracted and have some guy in the way.

·
Registered
2023 Pure Red Limited
133 Posts
This thread reminds me of a tongue-in-cheek sign which he had posted near the service area:

REPAIR LABOUR RATES
Regular Rate - $6.00 per hour
If you watch - $12.00 per hour
If you help - $18.00 per hour​
This is actually very fair, it takes a lot longer to finish things when you are distracted and have some guy in the way.
it reminds me of a Babylon Bee or Onion article about the inability to see the humor of one's own irony :)

·
Registered
XV Crosstrek 2014 Premium 2.0i 6MT
179 Posts
Haven't you heard? There's a whole new work ethic now. It's called "quiet quitting". It's doing the absolute minimum you can get away with in order to keep getting a paycheck. You will see more and more of this as small businesses are being forced into insolvency, leaving only the big national and multinational chains.
Yes, the future is fantastic and exciting! I guess by prefering low prices to good service we are graduatly doing this to ourselves.

·
Registered
528 Posts
... and yet, at every one of the various indie auto service shops I've ever frequented, I was always welcome to go into the service bays to speak directly with the techs. I guess they must use different insurers.
The indie shop where I take the crosstrek has the same policy. They implemented it a number of years ago.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
1,470 Posts
Not at Heuberger Subaru in Colorado Springs...
View attachment 312915
Interesting. My guess is there is a barrier or at least a line where customers cannot step past. It would be a huge liability to let customers wander undernear car lifts. Next thing would be customers touching parts on the car. The insurance for this privilege would be tremendous. In our letigious society, the dealership would be taking a big risk.

Reactions: Lee2021

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
1,470 Posts
Whenever you read a story about someone’s interpersonal conflict on the Internet, the most important thing to remember is that the story always has two sides, but you’re only hearing one of them.
Actually it's 3 sides. The 3rd side is the truth.

And I agree the woman could have handled the situation in a more professional manner, but she didn't for whatever reason. Maybe she was already having a bad day. Maybe her boss just ripped her a new one. Who knows?

Reactions: cedarpangolin

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree that it is an insurance liability issue, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned that not allowing customers to wander the shop at will is also an anti-theft issue. It is not the job of the mechanics to keep an eye on unauthorized people in the shop and if tools and parts start walking out of the shop they are the ones that are going to get blamed.
Cedarpangolin, you said you used to deliver parts to dealers and were allowed access. That's because you were working as a vender and they knew you. That's not the same as a customer. The guy that delivers the meat to a restaurant can walk into the kitchen and freezer. A customer cannot.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
1,470 Posts
I agree that it is an insurance liability issue, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned that not allowing customers to wander the shop at will is also an anti-theft issue. It is not the job of the mechanics to keep an eye on unauthorized people in the shop and if tools and parts start walking out of the shop they are the ones that are going to get blamed.
Cedarpangolin, you said you used to deliver parts to dealers and were allowed access. That's because you were working as a vender and they knew you. That's not the same as a customer. The guy that delivers the meat to a restaurant can walk into the kitchen and freezer. A customer cannot.
Yup. Imagine the flak this bartender must have gotten:

Reactions: PDawg

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Premium 2.0 CVT
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I largely agree and get your correlation, except I’ve known me service manager for many years and his mentor for even longer, as well as the fact that I purchased the car via the owner of the entire dealership chain because of certain staff who were dishonest or rude and I would not deal with. My face is easily recognized and should not have warranted the response I got. A polite request to leave or be accompanied until I leave would have been in order, absolutely, but not the tyrannical bych fit this woman threw.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts